21st Century Literature discussion

Question of the Week > In What Ways Do You Support/Foster Good Literature? (9/22/19)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) | 2631 comments Mod
You read, so, inherently, you are engaged with literature. In what other ways do you support/foster good literature?

E.g., Do you make a point of buying directly from publishers? Do you try to support indie authors or bookstores? Do you post reviews or promote authors/books online or among friends/families? Do you loan or give books to encourage others to read certain selections? Do you belong to other book groups (online or in real life) besides this one? Do you contact or engage with authors or publishers directly? Do you support or follow nonprofits or literary journals? Do you review advanced copies for a publisher or serve as a cold reader for any writers? Do you volunteer for or are you employed by a literary organization, publisher, etc.?
Are you raising the next generation of readers/writers?

(The intent of this question is not to guilt trip you if you don't do any of these things, so much as to see the range of things that can be and are being done to support good literature.)

message 2: by Hugh (last edited Sep 24, 2019 01:32AM) (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 2624 comments Mod
Nowhere near enough, though I share a few reviews with friends outside GR, I try to buy direct from small presses, I attend events and support my local independent bookshop and I do give books to family...

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert | 426 comments I'm a book blogger with my focus on small presses. I also do promote books and give them as gifts. However I do get interviewed both in print and on tv due to my reading habits.

Not much but every little bit helps.

message 4: by lark (new)

lark benobi (larkbenobi) | 208 comments This question makes me remember how much my reading habit has been influenced and encouraged by the literary activism of people here on Goodreads, many of them right here in this group. 2015 was a turning point for me. Before then I just read books I'd heard about after they won prizes or got a lot of press. I figured that the great books were rising to the top and so I read 'literary bestsellers' and honestly got so discouraged about the state of fiction.

Station Eleven was the book that caused my breaking point with this approach--sorry for anyone who loves this novel, it has much to recommend it--but it left me thinking "really? is this the best there is?"

And pretty much exactly then I got active on GR, and learned there is so much more going on in the literary fiction world.

so what I mean to say is: thank you!

message 5: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 2102 comments Mod
I do little things, which is all I can do - not being much of a social media influencer. I don't write many reviews, but I try and write them for books that don't have a lot or reviews already and may benefit from a little push. If I really like a story by a lesser known writer I'll send them a tweet or FB post expressing my appreciation.

I support a couple fiction podcasts on Patreon, I've supported a few literary endeavors on Kickstarter, and I've contributed to Go Fund Me campaigns for writers / editors who have had unforeseen medical expenses.

Now that I read mostly ebooks, I support my local indie bookstore much less. I still buy the few books that I really want a hardcopy of at the indies (although there is pain knowing they are significantly cheaper on Amazon). For a while, I would buy my ebooks on Kobo via an independent bookstore, but it was frankly a PITA, and it's really inconvenient having ebooks in multiple locations that can't be directly downloaded to an e-reader.

In another group with several writers, I asked if they preferred people buy their books via independent bookstores, or via Amazon so that their placement was boosted. The answer seemed to be that they were just happy if someone bought their book.