Historical Mystery Lovers discussion

Featured Authors > Featured Author October 2019 - Alys Clare

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1679 comments Mod
Alys Clare is our featured author October 2019.

Feel free to make book suggestions in this thread.

Come and tell us which book you picked and once you've read it let us know what you thought of it (is it a new to you author, would you read her work again, etc.)

message 2: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 65 comments The first book in the series sounds intriguing. I recently reread the first Brother Cadfael (an earlier era, I realize) and it will be interesting to compare.

message 3: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1137 comments Clare sounds like an interesting author with four series, from different time periods, to choose among. I might go for her latest with only one book as I have so many series in progress (and showing little progress!).

message 4: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 65 comments Ooh! I missed the other series because the way the Goodreads list is laid out, it looks like her only books are the Hawkenlye ones. Thanks for pointing that out!

message 5: by Alice (new)

Alice | 583 comments Alys Clare is a very good author. I have read several of her books. I have a couple in the house I will have to find for this month author discussion

message 6: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 65 comments I snuck ahead by a few days and read the first Hawkenlye mystery. I really liked the characters and mostly liked the style. Will definitely read more books by Alys Clare! I'm glad she was selected as a featured author.

message 7: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) | 82 comments I’ve sampled a few of this author’s books. Not impressed by the Hawkenlye series based on reading #3 and #13; mixed feelings about Aelf Fen books but that is after reading only #1 in the series. I liked the period/setting but felt the first was too heavy on the political stuff. Might try another one day.
I did like the first Gabriel Taverner book. Found Gabriel to be an engaging character and the period (early 1600s) was one I haven’t visited too often. So I have just picked up the 2nd Taverner book, The Angel in the Glass The Angel in the Glass (Gabriel Taverner Mystery #2) by Alys Clare to see if my interest holds.

message 8: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1137 comments While the Gabriel Taverner series sounds interesting my local library had The Woman Who Spoke to Spirits on display so that is the book I'll try.

message 9: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1137 comments I was 'trapped' waiting in a library for an hour (a fate I enjoyed!) and started the first Traverner book, A Rustle of Silk, so am changing my selection.

message 10: by Alice (new)

Alice | 583 comments Sandy wrote: "I was 'trapped' waiting in a library for an hour (a fate I enjoyed!) and started the first Traverner book, A Rustle of Silk, so am changing my selection."

There are worse places to be trapped

message 11: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1137 comments And I'm loving the book! Another great author.

message 12: by Marsha (new)

Marsha (marsha2c) | 18 comments I just ordered this book and looking forward to reading a new to me, ajthor.

message 13: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1137 comments I finished A Rustle of Silk and liked it very much. I plan to read the next (and so far only) in the series sometime. I also have The Woman Who Spoke to Spirits out of the library and may read it as well if I have time before it is due back.

message 14: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1137 comments I read The Woman Who Spoke to Spirits yesterday and liked it less than A Rustle of Silk. To me it did not seem true to the Victorian period and I did not connect to the major characters. I'm looking forward to the second Traverner however.

message 15: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1137 comments Now I've read the second in the Taverner series, The Angel in the Glass. Enjoyed it and hope Clare continues the series. I really like the cast of characters.

message 16: by Alice (new)

Alice | 583 comments Just starting book 3 in the series The Tavern in the Morning (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #3) by Alys Clare I will report back when I get into it a bit

message 17: by Alice (new)

Alice | 583 comments Alice wrote: "Just starting book 3 in the series The Tavern in the Morning (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #3) by Alys Clare I will report back when I get into it a bit"

I finished it this morning very good. A little mystery, history and romance. King Henry II and his clan makes an appearance. I enjoy this series.