Brent Hartinger Fans discussion

Geography Club: The Movie!

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brent (new)

Brent Hartinger (brenthartinger) | 45 comments Mod
So what did think of the GEOGRAPHY CLUB movie? You can't offend me with your opinion, since I wasn't really involved in the process.

Here are some of my thoughts!

How My Book Became a Movie (podcast)
My Photos From the Set
They Turned My Book Into a Movie. Here's What I Learned (essay)

message 2: by BookChic (new)

BookChic Club (bookchicclub) | 7 comments I still haven't watched it yet. It's up on Netflix, right? I'll try and watch it this weekend. :)

message 3: by Gervan (new)

Gervan (gjalvi) | 14 comments I saw it before I read the book actually. I almost cried at the ending and had to Google everything about it afterward.

That was when I found it was an adaptation of the novel and what started me on the series. Even with all of the little changes I really liked it. So much so that I still watch it every so often without ever being bored or losing the emotion I had that first time.

message 4: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Mione (jasonpixar) | 45 comments I recently watched Geography Club on Netflix. Wow! It was so well done. Even the little nuances, for example as Russell is walking to room 327, the picture is blurred, but as he gets closer, he comes in focus. The only thing I would have changed, is having Kevin walk through that door. I would have liked to see the expression on Russell's face. Hopefully, we can see Russell and Kevin reunited in a sequel. (Like the book!)

message 5: by Brent (new)

I was pleased that they included the scene imitating the book jacket. That was very sweet! They even saved it for me. :-)

message 6: by Matt (new)

Matt Carrillo | 2 comments I enjoyed the movie. I first read the book around the time I graduated high school, which was 2004. I didn't even know a movie was even being made until I noticed it on Netflix the day after it went online. While I loved the movie, there were some scenes I would've loved to see on screen. Some include the pizza shop, coming up with the idea/name of the club, and even Kevin's involvement with the club from the beginning. BUT I still loved the characters/plot. I didn't feel like they were two entirely different entities (I Know What You Did Last Summer book/movie for example). The actors did an amazing job and the music was beyond good. When a movie has excellent composed music that really amplifies the emotion for me.

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael Jensen (michaeljensen) | 11 comments Mod
One of the fun behind the scenes thing about GC: The Movie was when Brent and I went to LA for the last three days of filming. The football scene was shot one night at an LA high school. There were literally thousands of extras and Brent, myself, and his agent were seated in the stands and got to stand and cheer when Russel scores the touchdown. The whole thing was surreal and a blast!

message 8: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 22 comments I LOVED the movie. Discovered it almost two weeks ago, and was in love with almost as soon as it started. When I was done watching it I was so sad Russel and Kevin had broken up but also felt like this hunger I had in me hadn't been totally satisfied, I searched the Internet for more info. Imagine my surprise and excitement (reading is my fav. thing after writing), when I learned it was made after a novel... So, I order the first e-book and devoured it. It only took me a few hours to read it, I think it's needless to say I was hooked.

The next day I was ordering all the others books in the RM series. I have to say, I'm so glad Internet exists cause I'd never heard of you and your books or the movie ever before. I don't know, maybe it's because I'm from Belgium? Anyway, thank you so much for such an intense and wonderful series. I read all your books in one week, that's to say how much I LOVED them. I also already pre-order your new book, I just can't wait to read it. And as for the movie, well I can't help re-watching it ever since I got it. It's just so good, finally a gay movie that's more positive than depressing like most of the other gay movies I've seen. I love it so much I would love to see other movies made after the series (but ha ha I still can dream, right.). Also, I love who they cast to play Russel, Kevin (duh... Justin Deeley...), Gunnar and Min.

I think I've said everything on my mind, or almost it's all jumbled I'm so excited and happy with both the movie and books so... Pardon me if I kinda went all over the place here.

Anyway, a big THANK YOU Brent, because without you I wouldn't have experienced such joy and emotions this past week and a half.

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael | 16 comments I loved it!! Like Gervan, I saw the movie first and then read the books. The ending to the film left me wanting more and I was hoping the books could fill in the gaps; Boy did they!! What I like most is that the film is not exactly like the book. It makes me appreciate both for their creative differences (although I will admit I was looking forward to the pizzeria scene too lol). Overall it was funny, touching and more importantly relatable (the music was dope too btw!!) Now who do I gotta write to get the TV series going?!?!

message 10: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 22 comments Micheal... Tv series, oh man. Wouldn't that be AWESOME

message 11: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Mione (jasonpixar) | 45 comments Hello All, Netflix has a Corporate Headquarters website with a comment section. They've created such series as House of Cards. I sent them my comments yesterday. We can always hope!

message 12: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 22 comments Anthony, thanks for the info. I need to subscribe to Netflix now that it's arrived in Belgium.

message 13: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Mione (jasonpixar) | 45 comments You're welcome Cynthia. I have a good feeling about this!

message 14: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 22 comments That'd be amazing...

message 15: by Brent (new)

There was actually a TV series based on the books briefly in development, but alas, at this point it's sorta dead. Maybe another project of mine! :-)

But feel free to tell Netflix. I think it's a great idea for a cable or streaming network.

message 16: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 22 comments Oh too bad.

Yes, we have to contact Netflix, a tv show based on the books would be so cool to watch. Plus, who, like me would love to see Otto come to life?

message 17: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Mione (jasonpixar) | 45 comments I think we should start an online campaign, for either a series or sequel. Count me in!

message 18: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 22 comments Count me in too

message 19: by Michael (new)

Michael | 16 comments I'm definitely in!! Some of the characters I can clearly see come to life on a TV sitcom

message 20: by Gervan (new)

Gervan (gjalvi) | 14 comments Cynthia wrote: "Oh too bad.

Yes, we have to contact Netflix, a tv show based on the books would be so cool to watch. Plus, who, like me would love to see Otto come to life?"

Yes please. A thousand times yes.

message 21: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Mione (jasonpixar) | 45 comments Hello All, if you're like me and want more Geography Club on Film or TV, please follow my Twitter account: @MoreGeographyClub. Thanks

message 22: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 22 comments Following you ASAP

message 23: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 22 comments Following you ASAP

message 24: by Michael (new)

Michael Jensen (michaeljensen) | 11 comments Mod
What a great idea. Just followed you!

message 25: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Mione (jasonpixar) | 45 comments Thanks

message 26: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Mione (jasonpixar) | 45 comments Hello All, our numbers are growing on Twiitter. Started at 0 and currently at 42 followers. This movie is really way too good not to continue it into either a sequel or TV series. Also, I can't wait to read your next book, Brent!! Thanks.

message 27: by Brent (new)

Anthony wrote: "Hello All, our numbers are growing on Twiitter. Started at 0 and currently at 42 followers. This movie is really way too good not to continue it into either a sequel or TV series. Also, I can't ..."
Fantastic! Thanks, Anthony.

I had a conversation with the movie producers a couple of weeks ago about a sequel (THE ORDER OF THE POISON OAK) or a TV series. They really wanted to do it, but they did say it's unlikely (complicated corporate reasons).

But they also said, "You never know!"

I'm sorta hoping a different producer will also be interested in the upcoming book. It's "stand-alone," so it wouldn't need to be a direct sequel (or even a sequel at all).

I'll keep you guys posted!

Brent Hartinger

message 28: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 22 comments Hey Brent, thanks for the info, I hope your wish of getting another producer (maybe) will be heard having a sequel to the movie would be awesome.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and can't wait for the new book, I'm even more curious now.

message 29: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Mione (jasonpixar) | 45 comments Hello Brent, there must be other producers out there willing to pick up Geography Club as either a sequel or TV series. I see so much potential here. I don't know much about the entertainment business. I am in charge of a Chemistry department in a Hospital. But I believe in this project, and I would like to help promote it. Perhaps what we need is more promotion. Just an idea, but what about the producers of "Degrassi" or Sullivan Entertainment in Canada. Let me know what else I can do to promote this project. If I won the lottery, I would fund this project myself. Ha! Thanks for listening to my rant. I'm a believer! PS. Our followers are now at 70. Yes!!

message 30: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Mione (jasonpixar) | 45 comments Correction: 64 followers, not 70. Sorry

message 31: by Kay (new)

Kay | 1 comments I loved the books first, and particular appreciated the inclusion of bisexual characters. I've also enjoyed the Glee TV series, in spite of its occasional flaws. So yes I enjoyed The Geography Club, the movie, but did not like the totally unnecessary bisexual erasure (Min's character). The books are better than the movie. But still good to have the movie which may reach more people.