Brent Hartinger Fans discussion

The Thing I Didn't Know I Didn't Know
The Futon Years! Share Your Story

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (last edited Oct 23, 2014 03:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michael Jensen (michaeljensen) | 11 comments Mod
Brent's new series about the now twentysomething Russel Middlebrook is called Russel Middlebrook: The Futon Years and follows Russel as he navigates life and love as twenty-year old living in Seattle. Why "the futon years?" Because a lot of us either are or were pretty poor in our twenties and a futon provided a pretty cheap bed! I actually remember going and buying a futon when Brent and I moved in together. (In case you didn't already know, I happened to be married to the author of the guy this discussion page is about. Yeah, I'm incredibly lucky.)

This thread is a chance for you to share your stories about your futon years from the funny to the sexy to anything else that happened to you in your twenties.

I share a special affinity for Russel in The Thing I Didn't Know I Didn't Know. Like Russel I moved to Seattle in my twenties as a desperately poor young guy who was trying to figure out what to do with my life. Okay, I actually did know I wanted to be a writer, but I didn't know how I was going to do that and not starve to death. That led to a lot of catering jobs and eventually becoming a flight attendant so I'd have a lot of days off to write. But man, was I poor in those first years! Not only were they the futon years, but they were also the Top Ramen Years and the 99 cent value menu years!

But I kept plugging away and eventually carved out a pretty awesome life here in Seattle with Brent.

Now its your turn! What were your futon years like?

Brent Hartinger (brenthartinger) | 45 comments Mod
I share a special affinity with Russel too, but I guess that makes sense, since I wrote him! ;-)

My twenties was a lot like Russel's in a way: I lived in Seattle with several friends. And I was DESPERATELY poor and didn't have a clue what I wanted to do with my life. Basically, all the emotions in the book are the same as what "really" happened to me. But the details? Mostly very different.

BookChic Club (bookchicclub) | 7 comments My futon years only consisted of that- we still ate pretty well (no ramen for my friends and I, lol), but I didn't have enough money to buy a bed, and couldn't really bring my bed from my parents' house down (as where would I sleep when I went back to visit, and it was a queen bed which wouldn't fit in my room).

I also still have not paid for a bed though. My best friend gave me her childhood twin bed when her parents were going to throw it away, and I had that for several years. Then a friend from college was graduating and going back to live with his parents in Boston (we're in Virginia). He had been living off-campus and so he couldn't bring the bed back home with him, so he gave me it and I've been using that ever since. I also have had the same sheets since entering college (10 years ago) and blankets, though I've bought a new blanket sometime in the past two months, lol.

BookChic wrote: "My futon years only consisted of that- we still ate pretty well (no ramen for my friends and I, lol), but I didn't have enough money to buy a bed, and couldn't really bring my bed from my parents' ..."We also got a LOT of hand me downs during our futon years. Everything from couches to dishes to televisions. Glad you finally were able to get a new blanket!

BookChic Club (bookchicclub) | 7 comments LOL it happened because I started working at Walmart and I get a 10% discount, and because my old blanket was falling apart (I use one over me and also lay on one, rather than laying on sheets though I use them underneath.). But I may have to get another one soon because the old one is falling apart now too. Blah.

message 6: by Gervan (last edited Oct 24, 2014 07:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gervan (gjalvi) | 14 comments My futon years are still happening -- even though I don't have a futon.

Because there are only a handful of universities on the island I make the hour long trek to class every day (an hour each way) by bus while living at home. It takes a lot out of you but it also doubles as prime time to catch up on some reading. I also had to pick up a weekend shift job to pay for transport and food.

By the time I get back from class I have to avoid my bed because if I make the mistake of sitting/lying down I'm out for the night.

Gervan (allthereads) wrote: "My futon years are still happening -- even though I don't have a futon.

Because there are only a handful of universities on the island I make the hour long trek to class every day (an hour each w..."

What island do you live on? I'm sure it's not as romantic as it sounds, but I want to live in the San Juan Islands here in Washington State some day.

Brent Hartinger (brenthartinger) | 45 comments Mod
Yeah, now I'm curious too. Which island? :-)

Gervan (gjalvi) | 14 comments Michael wrote: "Gervan (allthereads) wrote: "My futon years are still happening -- even though I don't have a futon.

Because there are only a handful of universities on the island I make the hour long trek to cl..."

I'm from Trinidad in the Caribbean :)

I think Brent and I stopped there on a cruise we took once! It was beautiful.

Gervan (gjalvi) | 14 comments Michael wrote: "I think Brent and I stopped there on a cruise we took once! It was beautiful."

Thank you! I think we are stops in some cruises but I have yet to take one myself. Maybe after graduation haha.