2022 Reading Challenge discussion

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
This topic is about Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
ARCHIVE 2014 > Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close: General Discussion *Spoiler Free*

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kara (last edited Oct 26, 2014 05:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3978 comments Our November group read will be Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer.

Nine-year-old Oskar Schell is an inventor, amateur entomologist, Francophile, letter writer, pacifist, natural historian, percussionist, romantic, Great Explorer, jeweller, detective, vegan, and collector of butterflies. When his father is killed in the September 11th attacks on the World Trade Centre, Oskar sets out to solve the mystery of a key he discovers in his father's closet. It is a search which leads him into the lives of strangers, through the five boroughs of New York, into history, to the bombings of Dresden and Hiroshima, and on an inward journey which brings him ever closer to some kind of peace.

Alicia nominated this book and will be the discussion leader.

-----

Discussion links:
Chapters 1 - 6
Chapters 7 - 12
Chapters 13 - End

Post Your Review Here

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen Mockoviak | 271 comments I thoroughly enjoyed this book when I read it. I hope everyone that takes part in this month's group read does as well! Meanwhile, I will be catching up on the October group read after I finish my current book, I Am Malala.

Kara (karaayako) | 3978 comments I've read this before but enjoyed it so much I think I'll reread it with the group. Who's in for this one?

Jenn | 280 comments I'm in for reading this one, but I have low expectations because I did not like Everything Is Illuminated by this same author. I already started reading Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and it seems better than his first book so far. I can see similarities between them but I think I appreciate the author's style more when the narrator is a child.

Angelique I've started reading it, didn't get far yet. What I've read so far made me feel like I've gotten inside my sons ADHD brain, the way it's jumping all over the place. But its still early days.

Megan BG (meganbgreads) | 1397 comments I JUST read it (in, I think, August... and then I watched the movie a couple weeks ago), so I'm not going to read it again, but I am going to check the discussions throughout the month to see what other people think.

Felicia (feliciajoe) | 566 comments I think I'll read this along with the group. For my personal challenge, I need to read two books more, and I had planned on it to be Howl's Moving Castle(to finish my 'Recommended by Readers'-challenge) and A Storm of Swords(because I'm currently reading it). I'll add this one! (If I can find it.)

Felicia (feliciajoe) | 566 comments I think I found it as a kindle-download, but I'm not sure it's the right book. (I know, sounds weird.)
Can anyone please tell me if it starts out with:

What about a teakettle? What if the spout opened and closed when the steam came out, so
it would become a mouth, and it could whistle pretty melodies, or do Shakespeare, or just
crack up with me?

I'll send smiles and positive thoughts your way! :D :D

Reija | 307 comments yes, opening lines are right. I watched the movie version some time ago which I didn't like much but I hope to find time to read this.

Felicia (feliciajoe) | 566 comments Thanks, I'll get to reading it now (:

Felicia (feliciajoe) | 566 comments I really like this book. Is anyone else really liking it? (:

Alicia | 167 comments FINALLY able to start this today. I read the first chapter on the train this morning and I'm excited to dig in. I really hope everyone enjoys it, especially since it was my pick!

Felicia (feliciajoe) | 566 comments Maybe you'll get some more activity into the discussions then :D

Angelique I finished it this weekend and I'm still not sure I liked it or I hated it. I was having problems determining who was talking/writing and I'm not sure how his grandfathers story fitted into Oskars story (apart from them being related).

Felicia (feliciajoe) | 566 comments I'm really iking it, probably because it is a little confusing, and I like how the narrator isn't talking down to his audience. I hate when everything is explained to us as if we can't figure out things bu ourselves.

message 16: by Kara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3978 comments All, keep in mind that we have threads to discuss the book's content. You can view them here:
Discussion links:
Chapters 1 - 6
Chapters 7 - 12
Chapters 13 - End

Post Your Review Here