Reading 1001 discussion

Tender Is the Night
This topic is about Tender Is the Night
1001 book reviews > Tender is the Night - Fitzgerald

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kristel (kristelh) | 3796 comments Mod
I read this in 2009 and never reviewed it. I remember liking it (better that Gatsby) but it isn't an uplifting story. Semi-autobiographical, it is the story of a doomed marriage. Set in the 20s, the couple are traveling in Europe and appear to be quite sophisticated and worldly. Zelda Fitzgerald was hospitalized in 1932 with schizophrenia. The author found himself in his darkest time when writing this book which he considered his greatest novel. The title is taken from the poem "Ode to a Nightingale" by John Keats.

Diane Zwang | 1189 comments Mod
3 stars. Read in 2017

Fitzgerald has a love for languages and vocabulary. I found his writing easy to read. I think this story was the disintegration of a marriage. I am glad I read the book.

Valerie Brown | 495 comments read June 2021

I found this a chore to read. That’s not to say there wasn’t some beautiful writing in this novel, but there were issues with flow and portions of the story that seemed dropped in haphazardly. It’s a very sad story, and the parallels to his (Fitzgerald’s) own life make it even more so. I was pleasantly surprised that Nicole had a happy ending, but not surprised at Dick’s ending. While I was reading this novel, I felt that Fitzgerald’s alcoholism had really affected his craft (in the inability to string the story together coherently) which makes me sad and angry for the squandering of such talent. 3*