Support for Indie Authors discussion

Cover Workshop > Should I change cover design.

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Darrick (new)

Darrick Williams | 11 comments Hello to all, I'm thinking of changing the cover design of this book. I will be grateful for any input on whether I should or not.

Synopsis:
It is based on the Biblical story, "The Return of the Prodigal Son" on things that happen to him while on his journey.

message 2: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (last edited Sep 22, 2019 07:30PM) (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4310 comments Mod
I believe this is the cover Darrick is asking about:

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott Peters (scott_peters) | 13 comments I think the fiery face is a great element, the best part of this cover!

The text formatting, which is clean and legible. feels perhaps a bit too simple. And I'd consider putting the author's name on it.

You might also consider removing the dove (which I realize is symbolic but I'm not sure it's helping you out here) and tilting the flaming head downward so that appears to be looking at the man's silhouette.

message 4: by Darrick (new)

Darrick Williams | 11 comments Thanks for the response Scott, great points about tilting the flaming head and the dove aspect. As for being too simple, although it's written in poetry format, I was thinking of having it changed to a 3D fantasy look. Maybe with the prodigal son walking in the desert or something of that nature.

message 5: by Lyvita (new)

Lyvita (goodreadscomuser_lyvitabrooks) | 54 comments Sorry, I may be to late to respond. But if not, why not omit the dove. Have you considered only the fiery face or only the praying man? It seems crowded. What's the main focus? Let the cover focus on that.

message 6: by Darrick (new)

Darrick Williams | 11 comments Hello Lyvita, no you're not too late. I can see your angle, the praying man could probably work alone. Thanks for your input.

message 7: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4310 comments Mod
I have to agree with some of the others. I like the image of the man and I like the face made of red smoke, The dove seems out of place and doesn't stand out very well. Try it without the dove and see if it looks better.

message 8: by Darrick (new)

Darrick Williams | 11 comments Thanks, Dwayne, with the responses I'm getting, the dove seems to take the focus away from the praying man. Also, thanks for posting my cover.

message 9: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 1103 comments I agree the dove is kind of out of place. But with the fiery red-orange and the black silhouettes, it looks like almost a different take on the prodigal son, as in maybe not forgiven, or not quite forgiven: the little orange flame-like wisp rising from the ground, combined with the staring image that doesn't look quite compassionate. I guess it could be his conscience.

message 10: by Darrick (new)

Darrick Williams | 11 comments Thanks for the input M.L. I think I will have a new cover done with more in the background and not as crowded. I will surely omit the dove. As for the prodigal son story, it tells of the prodigal son journey before he returned home.