The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the Golden Age of Journalism The Bully Pulpit question

History
Dave Dave (last edited May 27, 2015 04:03PM ) Oct 23, 2014 12:54PM
Okay, let's try this another way: T.R was a progressive and in many ways swimming against the tide of normative beliefs for his time with respect to The Trusts and corporate greed. He was successful in charting a new course for his party and the nation.
President Obama 100+ years later, also a progressive but much more in line with his party faces a Supreme Court that reversed, (despite its' claim to Strict Construction),precedent setting legislation empowering corporations. Obama has also been at odds with Congress in much the same way as T.R. Are we seeing in our own time a case of history repeating itself or as Samuel Clemens (a contemporary of T.R.'s) is know to have said, "History does not repeat itself but it rhymes." Are we Rhyming or Repeating?

I read somewhere that what the US did to Cuba in the 1890's is the same thing the US is doing to Iraq in the 2000s. The US is going to "save" this country for "democracy", but really a corporation wants the commodity there (sugar, aka "white gold" in Cuba, and oil, aka "black gold" in Iraq)

I'm just getting started reading "The Bully Pulpit." I have a Master's Degree in History but hope no one will spill the beans and ruin the ending for me!

Greg S.

I recently read "The Bully Pulpit", and agree with much that you said. When reading inside the dust jacket, I could have sworn I was reading about today: "The gap between rich and poor has never been wider... legislative stalemate paralyzes the country... spectacular mergers produce giant companies... the influence of money in politics deepens... bombs explode in crowded streets... small wars proliferate far from our shores... a dizzying array of inventions speeds the pace of daily life." T.R.'s day or ours?

Dave Hi Kim yes you hit the nail on the head. Are we simply going to continue to repeat, rhyme or someday learn? Guess we'll just have to keep on living, r ...more
Nov 06, 2014 09:33AM · flag