The Hobbit, Part One The Hobbit, Part One discussion

Elizabeth Terpening Review 2

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth The book “The Hobbit” by J.R.R. Tolkien is a book that I have been wanting to read for the past year. I am usually not a big fan of the fantasy genre, but I had heard so many good things about it. This book is a fantasy, adventure book that follows the story of a Hobbit named Bilbo Baggins. Mr. Baggins meets a famous Wizard named Gandalf who introduces him to 13 dwarves to go on an adventure to to steal treasure from a dragon. At the beginning of the book Mr. Baggins is not happy about going on the adventure and having to leave his hobbit hole. Eventually, as the book goes on, he warms up to the idea of the adventure they are on. He starts to have fun with his newly found friends and he is excited for the treasure he will eventually receive. They encounter many obstacles such as elves, trolls, and spiders. The characters in the book have to learn how to get out of tough spots. Almost every chapter they are almost killed in some way. Every time they get stuck in a bad situation, Mr. Baggins has to find a way to help them escape.
I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes fantasy or adventure books. I would also recommend this book in general. I was able to read this book in a few days. Every chapter is a new adventure making it hard to put the book down.

John Sumpter This story has introduced millions of people to the fantasy realm. Many of us stay. The Hobbit holds a special place in my imagination, leading me back to stories such as this one.

Andrew McDonald I first read The Hobbit about 41 yers ago and it has always held a special place in my literary memory. Of course, I followed it up quickly with the trilogy and own the red leather bound special edition which has followed me around the world for 40 years now. What gets me, though, is The Lord of the Rings always being referred to as a trilogy. It is a quadrilogy with book 1 being The Hobbit. This book is essential to the overall story line and should not be dismissed.