Play Book Tag discussion

September 2019: Cultural > Great Canadian Ghost Stories - Barbara Smith - 3*

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elise (new)

Elise (ellinou) | 524 comments This is a collection of about a hundred ghost stories from across Canada. They are told from east to west, and then the last section is for all three territories. Some are only a couple paragraphs long and others are a few pages. And those are not only scary ghost hauntings either, there are sad tales, funny poltergeists, etc.

I was quite entertained by this. I am neither a believer in “another plane of existence” not a firm denier. Even though many stories made me wonder if and how science could explain whatever was happening, a little suspension of disbelief makes the whole thing a fun read.

In the end I got a tad bored with Barbara Smith’s narration, though. The stories weren’t narrated so much as told as a collection of facts. But I guess she would have had to tell fewer of them if she made them all into a whole story.

Enjoyable collection of Canadiana! I read it just as I was coming back from a trip to Western Canada, so I had fun looking for stories in places I’d visited.

PS: Fun drinking game idea: take a drink every time the phrase “nobody was around to [make something happen] - nobody alive that is!” appears.

message 2: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8040 comments Just coming across this now. I've read a bunch of these Canadian (or some provincial - Alberta and Sask, of course, are of the most interest to me) ghost stories and always enjoy them!

I'm more a skeptic than anything, but I still enjoy suspending my belief (or non-belief) for a while in order to enjoy a good ghost story. :-)

LOL on the drinking game!