I Read Comic Books discussion

School in Comics - Recommendations?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kara (new)

Kara (kzam) | 14 comments Mod
Mike and Kate and I just finished recording the latest episode of the IRCB podcast, which is about school and comic books. I got a whole new list of comics to read from them and want some more recs! What are some of your favorite comic books that take place in a school/have school as a central part of the plot?

message 2: by Chad (new)

Chad | 655 comments Morning Glories and Deadly Class come to mind.

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom | 149 comments Gotham Academy (which I have read) and (guessing) Umbrella Academy? (which I have not). Would Fence count?

message 4: by Chad (new)

Chad | 655 comments Tom wrote: "Gotham Academy (which I have read) and (guessing) Umbrella Academy? (which I have not). Would Fence count?"

Umbrella Academy surprisingly has little to do with school except for maybe a few flashbacks.

message 5: by Lenny (last edited Sep 23, 2019 06:21PM) (new)

Lenny (lennylenlen) | 137 comments Two of my (maybe offbeat) favorites are two webcomics with magical schools, Thomas Siddell's Gunnerkrigg Court and Tillie Walden's graphic novel On a Sunbeam (I would say half the plot or so takes place at a school).

Also probably doesn't count but the theme also made me think of how Miles Morales getting into school via lottery was an important part of how Bendis established his character and made him relatable to lots of folks in a new way.

Looking forward to listening!!

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate (kgskocelas) | 570 comments Mod
Lenny wrote: "Two of my (maybe offbeat) favorites are two webcomics with magical schools, Thomas Siddell's Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 1: Orientation and Tillie Walden's graphic novel [book:On a Sunbe..."

I love your point about Miles! I always think of Giant Days for school comics. Have you tried that series?

message 7: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin | 169 comments There is no shortage of comics set in schools.

Most of the various Archie comics are set in and around high school.

I prefer the already mentioned Giant Days, and Morning Glories.

message 8: by Lenny (new)

Lenny (lennylenlen) | 137 comments Kate wrote:I always think of Giant Days for school comics. Have you tried that series?

Thanks Kate! I haven't tried Giant Days yet but I'll definitely put it on the list - thank you!

message 9: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 97 comments Read Lee/Ditko Spider-man. I think Peter Parker's graduation is issue 35.

Amazing Spider-Man (1963-1998) #35

message 10: by Nerdy Werewolf (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) | 39 comments I immediately thought of Deadly Class, Volume 1: Reagan Youth and Gotham Academy, Vol. 1: Welcome to Gotham Academy, too.

Not much to add, I suppose. I guess if we count spin-offs we could throw the Buffy Omnibuses in there?