Literary Horror discussion

Discussion > Sneak peek: Literary Horror favorites of 2019

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill Hsu (billhsu) | 1135 comments Only a little over 3 months left in the 2019! Last January we had a fun conversation on LH favorites of 2018. I think it'll be interesting to share our favorite 2019 books so far. I hope to discover books to check out (and possibly add to my year-end list!) before 2019 is done.

Here's what I've enjoyed so far, all published in 2019. (I've been less enthusiastic in general about my 2019 reading; a couple of these would not have made my year-end lists for 2018, and certainly not the spectacular 2017.)

Novels:
Brian Hauser, Memento Mori: The Fathomless Shadows
Lindsey Drager, The Archive of Alternate Endings
Kathryn Davis, The Silk Road
Peter Mendelsund, Same Same

Shorter fiction:
S.D. Stewart, Bunker Diaries

Collections:
Brian Evenson, Song for the Unraveling of the World
M. Kitchell, Experimental Men
Maryse Meijer, Rag: Stories

I'm also looking forward to these, possibly of interest to LH folks:
Deborah Levy, The Man Who Saw Everything
Sarah Rose Etter, The Book of X

message 2: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 112 comments Bill wrote: "I'm also looking forward to these, possibly of interest to LH folks:
Deborah Levy, The Man Who Saw Everything
Sarah Rose Etter, The Book of X .."

Definitely of interest, thanks. The Book of X especially.

message 3: by Samuel (last edited Sep 23, 2019 02:48PM) (new)

Samuel Moss (perfidiousscript) | 62 comments I was lucky to be able to read Mark Gluth's upcoming novel 'Come Down to Us' and I thought it is fantastic.

It should be coming out this month or next month from Kiddiepunk Press and I encourage folks keep an eye out for it. (It isn't listed on GR yet, if/when it is I'll link to it.)

If you have read Gluth's work before it is in the same vein: understated, structurally ambitious, and run through with deep pathos and ineffable terror.