Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Whiskey Beach
This topic is about Whiskey Beach
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Roberts, Nora - Whiskey Beach - Informal Buddy Read; Start November 10

Comments Showing 1-50 of 157 (157 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30933 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion about Whiskey Beach by Nora Roberts

Book synopsis:
For more than three hundred years, Bluff House has sat above Whiskey Beach, guarding its shore - and its secrets.

To summer tourists, it's the crown jewel of the town's stunning scenery. To the residents of Whiskey Beach, it's landmark and legend. To Eli Landon, it's home...

A Boston lawyer, Eli has weathered an intense year of public scrutiny and police investigation after being accused of murdering his soon-to-be ex-wife. And though there was never enough evidence to have him arrested, his reputation is in tatters as well as his soul. He need sanctuary. He needs Bluff House.

While Eli's beloved grandmother is in Boston, recuperating from a nasty fall, Abra Walsh has card for Bluff House, among her other jobs as yoga instructor, jewelry maker, and massage therapist. She is a woman with an open heart and a wide embrace, and no one is safe from her special, some would say over-bearing, brand of nurturing - including Eli.

He begins to count on Abra for far more than her cooking, cleaning, and massage skills, and starts to feel less like a victim - and more like the kind of man who can finally solve the murder of his wife and clear his name. But Bluff House's many mysteries are a siren song to someone intent on destroying Eli and reaping the rewards. He and Abra will become entangled in a centuries-old net of rumors and half-truths that could pull them under the thunderous waters of Whiskey Beach...

Passion and obsession, humor and heart flow together in a novel about two people opening themselves up to the truth - and to each other.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

Anita Reads | 1677 comments Great, Thanks :)

message 5: by ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (last edited Oct 23, 2014 06:25PM) (new) - added it

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) | 0 comments Woo!! I've subscribed to the thread, I've written this on my handy-dandy notepad, and I'm ready to read! Well, once the 10th arrives, hehe.

Anita Reads | 1677 comments How do you subscribe to a thread. See there are so many things that I still don't know about GR, will it be easier to find this thread with that?

message 7: by ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (last edited Oct 23, 2014 11:09PM) (new) - added it

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) | 0 comments Just below the last post in this thread, above the comment box and to the right, you will see in gray text, "You are following this discussion" and there is a "edit" link. Click "edit", and then you can choose if you want to receive a digest of this thread, or have each individual post sent to your email as a reminder or just receive notifications. I subscribe to all emails because when I don't, inevitably, GR screws up and doesn't send me notifications all the time. So, if I notice I haven't received notices of certain threads being updated after awhile, I check my email and find them.

Anita Reads | 1677 comments Oh. Ok, I usually just check each group I'm participating in once every day to check for updates :)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5006 comments I can do this one too..

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4966 comments I'm in and will pick up a copy from the library next week.

Stacie (cowmingo) | 4769 comments I'm in :)

message 13: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere I have this one audio so I may join in

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Neat. It's been on the to-read for awhile.

message 16: by Sophie, The other one (new) - added it

Sophie (drsophie) | 3420 comments Mod
I'm in

message 17: by Karen ♐ (new) - added it

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 1796 comments I'm in. Have on hold at the library.

Anita Reads | 1677 comments I'm looking so much forward to this one :)

jingles I'd like to join in on this one if that's okay. I've put it on hold at the library so hopefully it will come in before the start date.

message 20: by Mary C (last edited Nov 03, 2014 06:30PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4966 comments Someone beat me to my local library's copy so I had to request another one. Should come in quick though.

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments I'm also in. It's sitting on my reader too long.

Sunshine (sunshine22222) | 803 comments I have it on hold at the library, too. I'm the next person in line, so I should have it in time.

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4308 comments I *think* I'll join and read, but I'll decide when I know how I'm getting on with my other books closer to start date.

Allison Ann | 1408 comments Got my library copy, I'm in.

message 25: by Amanda A (new) - added it

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) | 627 comments I'd like to join in on this one.

Stacey (boydsmom) | 1144 comments I'm in. It's loaded on the Kindle and ready to go. :)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4966 comments I'm picking my copy up from the library today. I might start it tomorrow or Sunday since I'll be looking for a new audiobook to start then. I'd also like to get most of it done before I start on the Codex Alera series read.

Chris (cdavies1951) | 2192 comments I'd like to read this one, too!

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5006 comments I'm starting this up next probably around Monday, Australian time. I'm currently reading a historical and a paranormal so a bit of Nora will be a nice change.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4966 comments I started this last night. So being a native New Englander I have a soft spot for books set here and this one is even set in my home state of MA. I also have a soft soft for books set in big old creepy houses although I this one isn't creepy. Just big and old.

Didn't get far enough into it for anything to happen yet other then the 2 main characters meet.

Anita Reads | 1677 comments I have a few books I'd like to finish before starting this one, but I plan to start on it Tuesday.

message 32: by ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (last edited Nov 09, 2014 01:47PM) (new) - added it

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) | 0 comments I might start this tonight but I'm planning to just read a few chapters a day. I am trying to finish a book I started a few days ago, plus I'm reading two others.

I picked up another of her books at the library a few days ago: Tribute by Nora Roberts . I read a pretty good review of it so I'll be reading that sometime this month or December. I am not sure if I'll do a BR for it or not, guess I'll see if there is interest and if I feel like I can dedicate the time.

message 33: by Mary C (last edited Nov 09, 2014 04:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4966 comments I haven't read that one and don't have many BRs for December yet. So I'd probably join you.

I'm already half way through Whiskey Beach. I'll just hold off talking about it for now since I seem to be the only one who started.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5006 comments I've started too Mary but as we are on the same team I'll hold off for a few days and switch to another book I'm reading.

I did like how straight away Nora set the scene so well, you could nearly feel the salt spray and the beauty of the place. New England is sooo on my travel bucket list.

message 35: by Mary C (last edited Nov 10, 2014 06:02AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4966 comments I live there so I can say it's worth seeing. October is the best month. The changing leaves are spectacular.

Stacie (cowmingo) | 4769 comments I'm starting it today and will be up for talking about it probably in spurts throughout the day.

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments I've started audio. Have to be honest it took me a while to figure out what's happening. Should probably stay off GR while doing that :P

message 38: by Mary C (last edited Nov 10, 2014 06:02AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4966 comments I might take a break from it today to start the Johnny Cash book and let some others catch up.

Stacie (cowmingo) | 4769 comments ❀Tea❀ wrote: "I've started audio. Have to be honest it took me a while to figure out what's happening. Should probably stay off GR while doing that :P"

After reading 40% of it so far, I can totally get that. I got really confused from Chapter 1 to 2 and I'm reading it so audio must have been confusing.

I also now feel like I missed something earlier in the book because (view spoiler) and I feel like Nora could have mentioned that earlier. I'm not sure I really like Eli but I wouldn't mind having an Abra around/hanging out with his grandmother.

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments Stacie wrote: "I also now feel like I missed something earlier in the book because (view spoiler) and I feel like Nora could have mentioned that earlier. I'm not sure I really like Eli but I wouldn't mind having an Abra around/hanging out with his grandmother. "

I just got to that part. Definitely got me confused until I saw your post. I thought I missed something. :D
I still don't have opinion on Eli. I do feel little sorry for him. But Abra... She might be great with grandma, but with Eli I find her little too pushy. Does he really need that much babying?

(view spoiler)

message 41: by Mary C (last edited Nov 10, 2014 10:11AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4966 comments Hmm. I am also listening to it and have had no trouble figuring out what's happening.

(view spoiler)

Stacie (cowmingo) | 4769 comments Thank you Mary!

And yes Tea, (view spoiler)

I'll probably finish today. It makes me really want a dog and a trip to the beach.

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments Stacie wrote: "
And yes Tea, [spoilers removed]
"

(view spoiler)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "Hmm. I am also listening to it and have had no trouble figuring out what's happening.

[spoilers removed]"

Thanks Mary! That's what I meant when I said I have no idea what's going on being on audio. First chapter or two passed by and I haven't even noticed what's happened. I was hearing it but not listening. :P

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4966 comments Yeah that happens sometimes with audio books. Many times I have had to go back and relisten to parts because my mind wandered.

I checked out the kindle version of The Cold Dish because I realized that my mind must have vegged during part and someone was dead and I had no clue when it had happened. I did a search on the kindle a reread part.

Stacie (cowmingo) | 4769 comments ❀Tea❀ wrote: "Stacie wrote: "
And yes Tea, [spoilers removed]
"

[spoilers removed]"

Good point. My other thought? It's (view spoiler).

Stacie (cowmingo) | 4769 comments Okay I finished. I'm waiting for others to finish so we can chat about the last few chapters.

Chris (cdavies1951) | 2192 comments I started last night, and it'd so good - I'm having a hard time putting it down. Why is Wolfe so obsessed? I want to be the grandmother!

message 49: by Mary C (last edited Nov 10, 2014 03:24PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4966 comments So fun fact, the city that Abra is from is right next to mine. It's really this part of the state's only "city" type city and it's not really much of that. But it does have the Basketball Hall of Fame and more than a couple strip clubs and a couple of blocks of small skyscrapers.

(view spoiler)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: " [spoilers removed]"

I know. It's little too much. :d
(view spoiler)

« previous 1 3 4