THE Group for Authors! discussion

Publishing and Promoting > Niche genre advertising

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Jags | 16 comments Hi all.

I'm a new indie author with no particular publicity skills, so I'm all at sea as far as marketing ideas and could use advice on particularly one thing.

Beginning with the book I just released, I intend to write several novels of a very specific type, which is to say horror tales, only set in fantasy worlds. I suppose they would be considered dark fantasy, but if I am successful in my intentions, will read more like horror.

I'm aware - and fine with - the fact that I will probably never have more than a niche readership. But my question is, while I'm starting out and with the knowledge that I have limited resources, is it better to focus as closely on the niche I perceive to be my potential target audience as I can, or cast as wide a net as possible in the hopes of drawing people who might be peripherally interested into the fold?

Any advice would be invaluable to me. I have tried and will continue to try some of Amazon's programs (free and time-limited discounts) but I don't know if I'm reaching interested people or just people who are grabbing free stuff in bulk. I did get responses from a handful of people in a horror forum here on goodreads who kindly said they had intent to read, which is what made me re-think my approach to advertising.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) I recommend doing PR to both horror and fantasy communities in general, but targeting the heavier marketing to the niche genre. My own first release was a gothic horror novel about vampires in the Anne Rice style and was, and still is, quite hard to market in a world where vampires are now either brutal monsters or romantic heartthrobs.

The most important thing for any PR campaign is to have a fully filled out GR and Amazon profile, a visible presence in social media in general and a base of operations for readers to come check you out via a website with a blog. Let your readers get to know you as a person and as a writer. Be present in communities where you might find fans and network with fellow authors just by being you as well. Building a fan base is as much about marketing your genuine self as it is about sharing your books. In fact, focus on making friends and associations rather than blitzing with links.

message 3: by A.D. (new)

A.D. Davies (addavies) | 10 comments I agree with Amanda.

I would also add that before you spend a lot of money with ads etc, make sure you have a good selection of books first.

If you have four books out, I am told that a good tactic is to place them all but one in a countdown deal to $0.99 then set the final one for free. The free one gets the attention, but when they see you have others for $0.99 they are likely to try one of those too.

Alternatively, make the first one perma-free and mark the others at $0.99 or $1.99.

Only a few people who d/l a free book will actually read it, but the ones who do - if the book is any good - will likely return for more. With money.

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris Jags | 16 comments Thank you both for the advice!

message 5: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi JG Weiss (goodreadscombobbijgweiss) | 57 comments I read your advice, Amanda and A. Thank you! I'm rather new, too -- not to writing or publishing, but to self-publishing. And Chris, I'm right in your boat -- first book, horror, just out ("Hooked"). I'm having to do all the same ad thinking that you are. Good luck to us both, eh?

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris Jags | 16 comments Bobbi wrote: And Chris, I'm right in your boat -- first book, horror, just out ("Hooked"). I'm having to do all the same ad thinking that you are. Good luck to us both, eh? "

Absolutely! Best of luck to you. I think I'm finding marketing to be more nerve-wracking than horror itself!