What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Captive City
This topic is about The Captive City
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Novel about British troops in the post WWII Greek civil war [s]

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Werner (new) - added it

Werner | 104 comments Right after the Second World War, there was a fierce civil war in Greece between the Communist partisans and the forces loyal to the monarchy (which was backed by the British). This novel is set during this conflict, amid the fighting in Athens, where a group of mostly British soldiers are besieged in a hotel --and they have reason to believe there's a traitor in their midst. The hero/viewpoint character is a British officer; his love interest is a Greek girl named Leyla.

This is another book I read in condensed form in the Reader's Digest Condensed Books series (I don't read those any more, but I did as a kid, and a youth). In this case, I read it sometime in, I think, the late 60s (certainly not much later!); again, the date of the novel itself could be quite a bit earlier, since I often read those Reader's Digest volumes long after they were first posted.

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6980 comments Mod
Werner, here's a link to Wiki's RDCB list. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reader&#... It's broken down by year and season. I scanned the 63 to 69 books and didn't have anything jump out at me (although I did check a few titles that looked vaguely like they might be it.) Perhaps you'll recognize the title if you see it?

message 3: by Werner (new) - added it

Werner | 104 comments Ann, I'm not sure I'd recognize the title if I see it; but that list could be really useful in running other forgotten books down! Thanks for that link; I'll definitely be exploring it.

message 4: by Werner (new) - added it

Werner | 104 comments Ann, thanks to the link you provided, I was able to run down another lost book (which I'd never posted a question about in this group, but which was nonetheless one of many I really wanted to identify!): Warm Bodies by Donald R. Morris. I knew the author's first name was Donald; once I had a possible title, I was able to identify it from its Amazon reviews. It's now been added to my "read-in-condensed-version" shelf. Thanks a bunch!

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
We're hoping you'll still find your original book. Don't give up, but keep checking here. You can bump your search to the top of the list by typing something in the comment box. People often do this every six weeks or so, to keep fresh eyes looking at it.

message 6: by Werner (new) - added it

Werner | 104 comments Thanks, Kate! I'll keep that in mind.

message 7: by Werner (new) - added it

Werner | 104 comments It's possible this wasn't a Reader's Digest condensed book after all. For some reason, I've associated it with those; but that may be a faulty memory that's hindering the search! :-(

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37562 comments Mod
Was it more mass market fiction or literary fiction?

message 9: by Werner (new) - added it

Werner | 104 comments Lobstergirl, it was definitely mass market fiction.

message 10: by Werner (new) - added it

Werner | 104 comments Yay! I was finally able to track this down in a Google search, using the name of a secondary character that I remembered (Capt. Mavroti). It's The Captive City by British author John Appleby, published in 1954 and condensed for Reader's Digest Condensed Books in 1955. This is another one that moves into the "Solved" column!

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Yay.

message 12: by Werner (new) - added it

Werner | 104 comments Thanks for adding it to the group bookshelves, Lobstergirl; in my excitement, I'd forgotten to do that at the time.

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

No problem, you're actually not required to add it because a Mod always will. Now we just need a cover for it.

message 14: by Werner (last edited Jun 06, 2015 05:55AM) (new) - added it

Werner | 104 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Now we just need a cover for it."

Lobstergirl, I located and saved an electronic image of the cover from Abe Books just now. (I know we aren't supposed to take cover images from Amazon, and Amazon owns Abe Books; but I think they're organizationally separate.) As a Goodreads librarian, I can add the cover image, if that's kosher. Just let me know!

message 15: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Hmm...it's okay by me but you should ask in librarian's group first.

message 16: by Werner (new) - added it

Werner | 104 comments Will do, Lobstergirl!

message 17: by Werner (new) - added it

Werner | 104 comments Lobstergirl, the Goodreads Librarians Manual confirms that both Amazon and Abe Books can now be used as cover image sources.

message 18: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Oh, I did not know that. Thanks!

message 19: by Werner (new) - added it

Werner | 104 comments No problem, Lobstergirl. (Until today, I didn't know it either!)