The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > Books that gave you hope

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nadine (last edited Oct 23, 2014 02:53PM) (new)

Nadine Grech | 7 comments Okay, so lately, I've been feeling dejected and hopeless. Books that I usually read used to help me escape the reality for a while but I can't seem to even do that. I am not a negative person and I always try to appreciate the little things but sometimes, and I am sure everyone goes through it, I feel as if the world is against me. I would really appreciate it if you could help me feel better by kindly sharing the books that lit up your world, made you see it in a whole different light.

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane | 11 comments Hi Nadine,

Here's a list of some books that I've really enjoyed and they made me feel good. Compiling my list I've realized most of these have child narrators (although they are adult novels). I think there's something I love about kids, essentially people who just haven't been on this earth as long as adults, going through hard times and coming out at the end of it, all the better for their experiences. It shows you how resilient people are.

Tell the Wolves I'm Home
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Life of Pi
The Glass Castle
The Secret Life of Bees

I hope one of these at least is to your liking. And I sincerely hope better times are up just around the corner for you :)

message 3: by N (new)

N | 104 comments I often find that the comforting warmth of an old favourite lifts my mood, when I am low I reach for the familiar and they may not be classed as *books of hope*. Off the top of my head though I would recommend- Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop cafe - Fannie Flag. The book is so much better than the movie and is full of love, friends, hope, triumph and life, however to truly feel these things you have to understand hate, loneliness, despair, loss and death. Being down/depressed isn't always something you need to squash - understanding and moving on in your own time is also a good option :)

message 4: by Nadine (last edited Oct 23, 2014 03:11PM) (new)

Nadine Grech | 7 comments Jane wrote: "Hi Nadine,

Here's a list of some books that I've really enjoyed and they made me feel good. Compiling my list I've realized most of these have child narrators (although they are adult novels). I t..."

I know exactly what you mean. My childhood was the best time of my life, I was so eager, happy and without a care in the world. I am still a child at heart and try not to let the world take that away from me, though it can be kind of hard! Thank you for the book recommendations and for wishing me well!

message 5: by Stosch (new)

Stosch Siddhartha i found this to be very full of hope and could change way you view the human condition. its basically the story of buddha for the average westerner with no prior knowledge of the religion.

even if you dont subscribe to buddhism. or youre very christian. to enjoy this book you dont have to lose your religion. this books is very powerful.

good luck on your quest

message 6: by Nadine (last edited Oct 23, 2014 03:11PM) (new)

Nadine Grech | 7 comments N wrote: "I often find that the comforting warmth of an old favourite lifts my mood, when I am low I reach for the familiar and they may not be classed as *books of hope*. Off the top of my head though I wou..."

Thank you. I think I will love the book you mentioned because I'm blessed to know all the good things in life in order to understand hate, loneliness, despair, loss and death. For some reasons, you reminded me of a book I loved back then, The Help. It's also about love, friends, hope, triumph and life.

message 7: by Nadine (last edited Oct 23, 2014 03:31PM) (new)

Nadine Grech | 7 comments FrankenStan wrote: "Siddhartha i found this to be very full of hope and could change way you view the human condition. its basically the story of buddha for the average westerner with no prior knowledge o..."

Thank you. I think I might try it because even though I am Christian, I do believe that Buddhism is a peaceful religion and I respect that.

message 8: by Pamk (new)

Pamk | 20 comments Here are a few books that I found hopeful and uplifting

Where the Heart Is
a classic - An Episode of Sparrows
and perhaps this one too - Bad Girl Creek

Hope this helps you to feel better about the world..

message 9: by Annalie (last edited Oct 24, 2014 07:40PM) (new)

Annalie | 267 comments The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency or any other books from the series will most probably make you smile. These books also don't require much energy to read.

message 10: by Noorilhuda (last edited Oct 25, 2014 01:32AM) (new)

Noorilhuda | 31 comments Nadine wrote: "Okay, so lately, I've been feeling dejected and hopeless. Books that I usually read used to help me escape the reality for a while but I can't seem to even do that. I am not a negative person and I..."

Nadine, hi, depression or sadness is always for one of 2 reasons: you didn't get what you wanted, or you feel lonely. No one in life can set either of those two things right for you. You just have to chart out a way, grow a thick skin and work towards one particular goal - achieve and be something.

Hope this helps. Take care of yourself:

what i know for sure:
What I Know For Sure by Oprah Winfrey

secrets about life every woman should know:
Secrets About Life Every Woman Should Know Ten Principles for Total Emotional and Spiritual Fulfillment by Barbara De Angelis

winning:
Winning by Jack Welch

what your mother couldn't tell you and your father didn't know:
What Your Mother Couldn't Tell You and Your Father Didn't Know Advanced Relationship Skills for Better Communication and Lasting Intimacy by John Gray

emotional intelligence:
Emotional Intelligence Why It Can Matter More Than IQ by Daniel Goleman

shawshank redemption:
Different Seasons featuring The Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King

terms of endearment
Terms of Endearment by Larry McMurtry

fault in our stars:
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

heart is a lonely hunter:
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers

monty python meaning of life:
Monty Python's The Meaning of Life by Graham Chapman

Listen to great music. This too shall pass!

message 11: by C.A. (new)

C.A. McGroarty (camcgroarty) | 17 comments Hello Nadine, have you ever heard of Chicken Soup for the Soul? It's a book that never dates itself and you can always pick it up and glean something from it. Last don't give up on humans just yet, LOL...but seriously there's no better medicine (mental or spiritual) than positive human interaction. Keep paying it forward no matter what and things will turn and always believe in yourself, least that's how I've always tried to think.

Chicken Soup for the Soul by Jack Canfield

message 12: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) Whenever I feel "stuck" on life's journey I re-read Dr Seuss's Oh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss

It never fails to inspire and enthuse me.

Hope you are back on your way soon ...

message 13: by Evie (new)

Evie | 1 comments A friend recommended Women Who Run with the Wolves to me when i was in a bit of a rut, and if you don't mind howling at the moon, it could be for you :)

message 14: by Dunktdunk (last edited Jan 06, 2015 06:09AM) (new)

Dunktdunk | 14 comments Holy Bible: New International Version - This one tends to help a lot for me anyways.

I also really enjoy these:

The Peaceful Warrior Collection by Dan Millman,

Almost anything by either:
Joel Osteen
Max Lucado

message 15: by Wren (new)

Wren Figueiro | 2 comments FrankenStan wrote: "Siddhartha i found this to be very full of hope and could change way you view the human condition. its basically the story of buddha for the average westerner with no prior knowledge o..."

Yes, excellent book. I actually had to read it as part of my high school's curriculum way back when and found it very inspiring.

More recently I really enjoyed The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho . Made me think about a lot of things differently.

message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris | 58 comments Here are some reads that make you smile, relax you, or just keep you from bending inwardly even if the story is about bad things happening (I do audio):

Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life
A River Runs Through It (please do this audio!)
Miss Julia series
Ali Finkle's Rules for Girls
Shopaholic series
McNally detective series
The Cat Who murder mysteries
Airhead (the first one in the series)
The No. #1 Ladies' Detective Agency
Traveling with Pomegranates
Happiness is a Serious Problem
Bubbles Yablonski murder mysteries
Dixie Hemingway Pet-Sitter murder mysteries
The Stephanie Plum bounty-hunter mysteries
Emory's Gift
A Dog's Purpose & A Dog's Journey
Little House on the Prairie series
Is Heaven for Real?
Proof of Heaven

And authors Fannie Flagg & Mary Kay Andrews' books

Feel better soon!

message 17: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindalappin) | 2 comments One book I read over and over, whenever I am down, is My Journey to Lhassa by Alexandra David Neel. It is an incredible spiritual and physical adventure of a woman who accomplishes something impossible: reaching the forbidden city of Lhassa by transiting a high mountain pass in winter. My Journey to Lhasa: The Classic Story of the Only Western Woman Who Succeeded in Entering the Forbidden City Another book is Ruth Ozeki A Tale for The Time Being

message 18: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Taylor-Watts (carolyntaylor-) | 72 comments I studied Ruth Ozeki's "A Tale for the Time Being" with our bookclub, and loved it. So did all the [very erudite] members of the club. Very well written, a good story, one that lingers and makes one think.

message 19: by Judy (new)

Judy (judygreeneyes) | 409 comments I find Bill Bryson's books to be uplifting. He is very intelligent and informative and also extremely funny. Overall his books are about his travels, but he has a very positive outlook and finds something fascinating and positive everywhere he goes. Not that he doesn't get himself in some incredible situations, but he manages to take away something valuable from each encounter. I think that his attitude toward life and toward the people he meets in his travels give me hope. Try the one that has "Hiking the Appalachian Trail" in the title, or his book about his travels in Australia. All of his books are so good.