Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly > 2019 -10 20th Century - What did you read?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by PAS, Moderator AC (new)

PAS (Mods) (pasmods) | 567 comments Mod
description

What did you read this month?
Do you think the book you read will stand the test of time (ie. a classic if it's not already established as a classic)?

In addition, don't forget to post:
*link to the book you've read
*a star rating -see below for template you can copy & paste ;)
*shelf nomination (see Shelf Lists for what has been and cannot be nominated)
*link to any PAS challenge/s you've fit this book into

Remember:
#Your nominated Shelf must have at least 1,000 books to qualify
#Entries for your nominated shelf will be calculated as follows;
+1 - posting the book you've read for this Monthly Shelf & star rating
+1 - word review (at least 3 sentences of your thoughts/feelings on the book)
+1 - link to another PAS challenge* where you've included this book

Star template:

★½
★★
★★½
★★★
★★★½
★★★★
★★★★½
★★★★★

message 2: by Karin (last edited Oct 09, 2019 04:53PM) (new)

Karin | 795 comments The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett (1999)

★★★★3/4

Werewolves and vampires and dwarfs, oh my!

From the GR Blurb

Everyone knows that the world is flat, and supported on the backs of four elephants. But weren't there supposed to be five? Indeed there were, and what happened to the fifth elephant is only one of the many perplexing mysteries solved...

Well, I am not sure if that mystery is entirely solved, but this is an entirely new adventure for the Watch of Ankh-Morpork, because Vimes is sent by Vetanari as an ambassador to a land with no laws, and, really, there is a long description on the main page of this book. He takes his wife (if you haven't read the first book or so, I won't spoil this for you) and a couple of colourful members of the watch people who weren't in the first book, so again, no spoilers whatsoever if you want to read my favourite subseries in the Disworld series (the Ankh-Morpork ones).

My main beef is that there wasn't nearly enough of Carrot (no title, no other information, but since he's in the first book, I can mention him) who is my favourite for reasons chiefly known if you read this series. But interlaced in the crime (every one of these novels involves it--they aren't the Watch for nothing) there are plenty of politics and multicultural issues along with a great deal of rollicking adventure, action, danger and comedy .

Tag suggestion: Science Fiction

message 3: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 85 comments I read Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente.

Deathless (Leningrad Diptych, #1) by Catherynne M. Valente

Koschei the Deathless is to Russian folklore what devils or wicked witches are to European culture: a menacing, evil figure; the villain of countless stories which have been passed on through story and text for generations. But Koschei has never before been seen through the eyes of Catherynne Valente, whose modernized and transformed take on the legend brings the action to modern times, spanning many of the great developments of Russian history in the twentieth century.

Unfortunately, I'll have to give this one 2.5 stars. I couldn't get into it. There were some great parts there but they didn't weave together smoothly and I often felt confused or uninterested in the characters.

I nominate lesbian

message 4: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8410 comments Mod
I actually read The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton at the beginning of the month for my IRL bookclub. I don't remember having seen the movie at all so this was surprisingly good book! I rated it ★★★★★

I was amazed to find out that the author was about 17yo when she wrote this book. Amazed by the depth of her perception throughout the book. To me, in my sheltered middle-class upbringing of the 90s, things in this book sounds really unreal but yet the things it spoke of about life still resonates with me. Lots of love for this book & highly recommended if you've not read this yet!

I've also included this in PnM (Authors)

Nominating: modern-classics

message 5: by Sassafrass (last edited Oct 25, 2019 06:21AM) (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 603 comments I read The Ghost and Mrs. Muir by Josephine Leslie writing a R.A. Dick. I rated it *4 STARS*

This isn't a book that I would typically read but I needed it for another challenge and it fit with this theme so I thought it was meant to be. It was a quite an unusual love story and the first time that I read a book that had a ghost as a main character.

However, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I definitely feel like I would read something else by this author. I listened to it on audio and thought the narrator did a masterful job!

I also used this for PnM: Publication

Nominate shelf: Kick-ass Heroines

message 6: by Tien (new)

I have a love-hate thing with this trope (ghostly romance) because half the time, they don't end up together (for obvs reasons) 😭

message 7: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 603 comments Tien wrote: "I have a love-hate thing with this trope (ghostly romance) because half the time, they don't end up together (for obvs reasons) 😭"

So true. But I thought this one was done really well. It was also really tame in the romance department with no more than kissing so you weren't missing much between Lucy and the Cap.

message 8: by Tien (last edited Oct 28, 2019 04:54PM) (new)

lol (re: really tame)

but glad you still enjoyed it! ;p

message 9: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 603 comments HA, HA, compared to what I read it was positively Disney. :)

message 10: by Elvenn (new)

Elvenn | 693 comments I've read The Tower by Valerio Massimo Manfredi. ★★★

It's an adventure novel where a son is asked by the Foreign Legion to look for his father, an archaeologist last seen in the middle of the Sahara desert years ago, while seaching for some legendary antediluvian secrets under the sands. Some cryptic notations in a book are the only clues left of his whereabouts.

The story wasn't mind-blowing but the book was well written and interesting enough for me to really want to know how everything ended and what was hidden under the sands. But from the beginning it was plain the author was including too many different elements into the plot, which not only made the story confusing but also utterly unbelievable. The book features Roman legionaries, an Etruscan aruspice, the Foreign Legion, the Vatican, a signal from the sky, the inventor Guglielmo Marconi, a mercenary, lost tribes and settlements, multiple supernatural elements and the Old Testament... and I'm avoiding spoilers. There also were multiple similarities with the movies Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade that could be quite distracting.

This author has been recommended to me multiple times so I probably should have gone with one of his most popular works (like the Aléxandros trilogy).

The Tower by Valerio Massimo Manfredi Rating: 3 stars

Shelf nomination: High Fantasy

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3393 comments Mod
I read The Inimitable Jeeves, by P.G. Wodehouse. It's part of a classic series featuring Bertie Wooster, one of the idle rich, and his personal gentleman, Jeeves, in a comic satire of the class situation in England during the early part of the 20th century.

I don't know how I ended up reading # 6 in the series before any others, but I should've remembered what I wrote in the review for that one: "... the BBC audiobooks version. The British accents and intonations made it much more enjoyable than it would've been if I'd been reading it myself."

Reading this one, I thought it was ok, but I didn't laugh out loud the way I did listening to the earlier one. I give it 2.5 stars.

message 12: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4363 comments Mod
I am running behind on my reading for the October shelf. I read Jazz.

This book had a rhythm about it that matched my thinking about jazz, the musical genre. It picked up and left off stories of black people that later interwove into each other.

However, as a work of writing, it was disjointed for me. It was not an easily followed story nor was it an easily followed non-linear story. It felt broken into pieces. I think that was partly because the narrator changed.

I gave it 2*.