NaNoWriMo discussion

General > write-in etiquette

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laurie (new)

Laurie   | 4 comments I haven't attended a write-in before but as a NaNoWriMo participant, I am assisting with several write-ins at work. What are fellow writers expectations when they attend a write-in and what should I have prepared?

message 2: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Lots of places to plug in computers!

message 3: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 12 comments I have always enjoyed the environments that provide multiple types of "groupings". In that you can be part of a big table where usually all the plot bunnies are camped out, or there are smaller tables where you can be a lone wolf it you'd like (if that makes sense?). It gives people the freedom to be as immersed as they want to be into the "party".

message 4: by Laurie (new)

Laurie   | 4 comments Thank you both for the tips! We've had good traffic today!

message 5: by Willow (new)

Willow Sanders (willowsanders) | 17 comments Our write ins in Chicago have word wars with cheesy prizes for winning the war... its fun and silly and moves the time along :)

message 6: by Laurie (new)

Laurie   | 4 comments Nice! I will figure out how to incorporate that in the two remaining session! Thanks

message 7: by Angela (last edited Nov 02, 2014 01:25AM) (new)

Angela Oliver (lemurkat) | 2 comments Write-ins are weird. I hosted one once, and we all say around laptops on our laps and typed in silence. Every time I paused to think, the tapping of all the fingers on keyboards made me feel guilty that I wasn't writing enough and urged me on.

I think, though, I am a solo writer, and I get most of my writing done when I "trick" myself into writing ("oh look, it's almost bedtime, well, why not write a sentence or three, or just read over what you wrote last night"). I prefer the gatherings to be a time to discuss the writing process with like-minded individuals and to be able to rant about misbehaving characters and have the others understand!

So, what can I advise? Have intense writing segments, butt-in-chair, hands-on-keyboard followed by periods of respite and silliness. Heck, you could even play fun games like inserting the other people's characters into your novel, or trading stories with your neighbour (although that might mess up the word count).

message 8: by Willow (new)

Willow Sanders (willowsanders) | 17 comments If you guys are on the nano boards Pop over to the illinois:naperville region to check out our write in formats

Ours started solely as Sunday write ins at the library in 4 hour increments. People would bring snacks and it was as much about camaraderie as it was getting words written :)

message 9: by Dinara (new)

Dinara Tengri (alien_supersoldier) I'm hosting a write-in (if all goes as planned) at the end of the week, and this is my first NaNo ever, so I'm freaking out, just a tad. Should I bring my own snacks? Should I make up a schedule? How much planning does it take, generally speaking? Thank you in advance :)

message 10: by Willow (new)

Willow Sanders (willowsanders) | 17 comments Don't stress over the write ins. Just have fun with them. You can usually get a vibe of the participants but what usually worked for my write ins. Was to have some kind of fun warm up to get the creative juices flowing like have everyone write one sentence using only the letter Q or something crazy like that. Then have everyone start the write in. Our write ins usually involve a lot of word wars so really get everyone involved and adding to their word counts but if your group is more laid back than that it might not be a popular suggestion.

message 11: by Dinara (new)

Dinara Tengri (alien_supersoldier) Willow wrote: "Don't stress over the write ins. Just have fun with them. You can usually get a vibe of the participants but what usually worked for my write ins. Was to have some kind of fun warm up to get the c..."

Thanks a lot!

message 12: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 12 comments Dinara wrote: "I'm hosting a write-in (if all goes as planned) at the end of the week, and this is my first NaNo ever, so I'm freaking out, just a tad. Should I bring my own snacks? Should I make up a schedule? H..."

Like Willow said, follow the vibe of the group! Mine is full of people who love to cook so we always bring a dish to share...and we also tend to start off with some sort of mini writing prompt or a word sprint or a word war. We also have plot bunnies (not sure if this is just us or if it is a NaNo wide thing?) that we have a sort of adoption of at the beginning and then they get handed out throughout the write in.

message 13: by René (new)

René (cigro) @Kate it's when a bunch of nanowriters get together in a public setting and write together. It's kind of like parallel play for toddlers who like being surrounded but haven't learned to interact with others yet. The toddlers in this example gloat about their word count and announce word wars every hour on the hour in which everyone scrambles to get in as many words possible in a fixed amount of time. Great fun. Kills the quality, but so what?

message 14: by Dinara (new)

Dinara Tengri (alien_supersoldier) Irene wrote: "Dinara wrote: "I'm hosting a write-in (if all goes as planned) at the end of the week, and this is my first NaNo ever, so I'm freaking out, just a tad. Should I bring my own snacks? Should I make u..."

Thank you all for the great advice! Feel better about this now :)

message 15: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 12 comments Kate wrote: "René wrote: "@Kate it's when a bunch of nanowriters get together in a public setting and write together. It's kind of like parallel play for toddlers who like being surrounded but haven't learned t..."

They are a lot of fun, you might want to look into starting one up if your local group doesn't do them! They can seem daunting but give it a shot :)

message 16: by Paige (new)

Paige Lavoie | 3 comments I really want to try to go to one this year! It seems like it could be such a cool environment. :)
My guesses on what to bring would probably be a fully charged laptop, (and charger), a notebook or two and extra pens. ^.^