Reading 1001 discussion

Schindler's Ark
This topic is about Schindler's Ark
1001 book reviews > Schindler's Ark - Keneally

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kristel (kristelh) | 3829 comments Mod
Also known at Schindler's list. Read in 2015
This is a story of a man, Direktor Oskar Schindler, a real person, a German industrialist in World War 2, it reads like nonfiction but it is historical fiction. Yes, it is about the Jews, the labor camps, the tragedy but it is more about how Schindler, a capitalist, survived the war and how his decisions saved Jews. Oscar wasn't a saint, he was a womanizer, a drinker and he excelled at making deals. Why he did what he did is never known. He used Jewish labor but his actions saved many and he never abused his labor. His actions placed him in danger, yet he never stopped until the end.

I enjoyed reading the book. Most have seen the movie. I have not. I avoid violence in movies and expect that this would be hard to watch. The author is Australian. The book won the Booker Prize. The author was inspired to write this story of Schindler when he met Poldek Pfefferberg. I was struck by the honor the Jewish nation gave to Schindler in making him a Righteous Person and also trying to help him financial too. Why did and do people hate Jewish people? Through the years they have been hated, why? Is it because they are God's special people?

Diane Zwang | 1189 comments Mod
4 stars. Read in 2015.

“He who saves a single life saves the world entire.” The story of Schindler's List is well known to me, mostly from the famed movie by Steven Spielberg. Although a work of fiction, Thomas Keneally's telling felt more like non-fiction with many names, facts and dates to remember. “It's the inconvenience to the list, that's all,” the officer explained. I learned quite a bit from reading this novel. I looked up words, places and people that I did not know which in turn lead me to additional information. For example, Zwangsarbeitslagger translates to forced labor camp. Also, in my research I found there is a holocaust glossary which I think is a sobering fact. “That is, the temptation to agree that if murder was no more than a visit to the bathroom, a mere pulse in the monotony of form signing, then perhaps all death should now be accepted – with whatever despair – as routine.”

Amanda Dawn | 897 comments Listened to this on audio recently. I was a huge fan of the movie when I saw it, and I found the book to be equally effecting: I gave it 5 stars. I think the fact that is a true story really adds to it for me. The degree of audacity Schindler had in executing what he did almost defies belief. It's that repeated quote in the book that really gets me everytime I hear it too "he who saves one life saves the world". I think that is incredibly profound and so appropriate for the story. I also found it intriguing that he is such an unlikely hero given how amoral he is at the beginning, and even in many ways continuing on in the story. It really is one of the great stories of human history.