Coraline Coraline discussion

Jessica Bravo's review #2

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Bravo I read the book "Coraline" by Neil Gaiman. I chose to read this book for two reasons. My first reason being that I decided to look under the fantasy section under Appendix E. I don't typically go for the fantasy genre, so I decided to give it a shot. I also chose to read this book because I love Tim Burton, so naturally, I have seen the movie. I was very interested to compare the two and see the differences.
This book is about a young girl named Coraline. Her parents both work from home, spending most of their days on the computer, so Coraline spends most of her time as an explorer. One day, while exploring her house, she discovers a big, brown, door. Her mother assures her that the door is nothing more than something that connects to the flat next to them, and opens to a wall of bricks. One day, Coraline unlocks the door herself and finds a dark, musty tunnel. This tunnel leads to new world, that is incredibly similar to her world. The major differences are that her “other” mother and father have time to spend with her, her neighbors becoming remarkably interesting, and everyone has buttons for eyes. Coralines loves this remarkable new world, until her other mother asks to sew buttons on Coraline’s eyes. This is when conflicts arise, and it becomes Coraline’s mission to save herself, her missing parents, and everyone in the “other world”
Overall I enjoyed this book very much. It was very similar to the movie, with a few exceptions. But I did enjoy seeing a more detailed take on it, along with the different adaptations. I also enjoyed reading certain passages, and immediately comparing it to the movie. I mostly enjoyed the protagonist, Coraline. I love her curiosity, which seems to get her into most of the trouble she finds herself in. She is also very courageous, and continues to tell herself this throughout the conflicts that arise with the other mother. These two admirable traits that end up being her biggest asset throughout the battles of this book.

message 2: by Bridgette (new) - added it

Bridgette Luvs You must read "The Windsome Tree" by Eileen Albrizio. It's amazing! The Windsome Tree: A Ghost Story

Grace I love this book. they did leave out some things in the movie though.

Michael Prentice You should definitely check out "The Ocean at the End of the Lane", another one by Neil Gaiman. It's got a similar concept to "Coraline", with two different worlds, but otherwise a very different story.

Michael Prentice Truth be told, Neil Gaiman loves to play with the concept of alternating world's. "Stardust", "Neverworld", and even a little bit in "American Gods".