Victorians! discussion

Kidnapped (David Balfour, #1)
This topic is about Kidnapped
Archived Group Reads 2019 > Kidnapped: Sept. 22-28 Week 4: Ch 25-31

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renee M | 1861 comments Mod
Please use this thread to comment on the final section of Kidnapped and on the booknasca whole.

Bruce I actually disliked this the most out of Stevenson’s books that I read. I’ve read 4 so far. I did enjoy the others - Treasure Island, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, and The Black Arrow. I grew bored with the book early on, but stuck it through. The best part was the beginning, when it was him vs his uncle, and then him vs the crew of the ship. I both grew bored with him surviving in the wild, and him with Alan Breck. I’m also very pro Scottish in their struggle for independence against the English, and so I grew irritated with David and the middle ground the story took. I really didn’t care as much what happened to David by the end of the book.

message 3: by Renee, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

That’s an understandable response. There is a lot of detail in David’s journey across Scotland. It reminds me of a Hitchcock movie, but I can’t think of the name just now.

Rosemarie | 186 comments Is it The 39 Steps by John Buchan by any chance, Renee?

Bruce I did like both the book and film of the 39 Steps. The description didn’t go on quite as long there, as I remember. Also, the book Rogue Male, which has been made into films at least 2 times, once by Fritz Lang. Rogue Male had a lot more description in the wilderness, but worked better as that was point of the story, and how he knew it perfectly and was able to use it to his advantage.

message 6: by Renee, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yes, I think it was. I love all the Hitchcock movies but sometimes they run together in my memory... in spite of the fact that I’ve seen most more than once.

message 7: by Renee, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I haven’t read Rogue Male. But I’ve wanted to read the other Hannay novels.

Bruce Rogue Male is by Geoffrey Household actually.

Bruce I agree about Hitchcock. I think Leonard Maltin said something to the effect of, not great Hitchcock is still better than most films.

Michaela | 190 comments I loved the book (and wonder Bruce why you gave 5 stars, if you disliked it so much), and I´m looking forward to the sequel!

There was a series in my teens called Kidnapped with David McCallum as Alan, which I liked very much. It covered more than only this book though. I must have read the book at this time, as I remember the beginning very well. This series is also rated as the best film version on imdb.

Obviously Alan Breck was a real historical figure, and other events in the book are also taken from Scottish history.

Bruce I’m a bit generous with the five stars. Haha. It’s a good novel, especially compared with today’s, and Stevenson was a great writer. I mostly thought it paled with some of his others though.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The 39 Steps (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

John Buchan (other topics)