Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes > Guardian Top 100 of the 21st century

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments An interesting list. Have you read many of these? Do you agree with the top 10?

The Guardian: The 100 best books of the 21st century.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/201...

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Ive read 9 on this list. I dont know when this list was made but there are some I would add and a couple that ive read that i would remove.

message 3: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4907 comments I've only read 12. There are definitely some I would remove (looking at you, The Road!), and some I'm disappointed not to see.

message 4: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2752 comments List challenge https://www.listchallenges.com/the-gu...

I've read 17/100.
Haven't read Wolf Hall and I don't intend to.
I was pleased to see Days Without End on this list.

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 676 comments 14/100 but there's at least 3 more that I want to read.

message 6: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Thanks for posting the convenient list challenge, JGrace! I have actually read 29 . . .more than I expected because a bunch I haven't even heard of . . .

There are at least five I really wouldnt include on my own list, but super happy to see On Writing, The Tenth of December, and (dare I say it), The Road.

message 7: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7234 comments I have read 7 and 4 are my shelf. Ugh-Wolf Hall AGAIN!!!! I hated that book-If I remember correctly, so did Theresa. I I just don't get it!

message 8: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Surprised not to see Born a Crime on the list.

And, yeah, Wolf Hall would not be on my top 100 . . .though at least I can understand it being there. Just not at #1.

message 9: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments 9 of 100  ·  9%
9/100
You did better than 56% of users on this list

Your rank: #53 of 123 users on this list

You didn't beat the avg. score of 10

message 10: by Holly R W (last edited Sep 21, 2019 12:57PM) (new)

Holly R W | 1161 comments Serendipity.... I just took "Priestdaddy" out of the library today and see that it's on the list.

message 11: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Lol, Holly! I am curious about that one.

message 12: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2211 comments 17/100 with several more that I own or that are firmly on the TBR. I love the mix of fiction and non-fiction

message 13: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5496 comments I've read 11. There are a few on my TBR.

message 14: by Joy D (new)

Joy D | 3186 comments I've read 14 and have quite a few of the others on my TBR. It's hard to agree or disagree since I haven't read all of them.

message 15: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments I read 18-19 (I don’t know if to count few Jimmy Corrigan things as the full thing

message 16: by LibraryCin (last edited Sep 21, 2019 07:06PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 8120 comments For me:
17 of 100 · 17%
You did better than 81% of users on this list
Your rank: #45 of 248 users on this list
You beat the avg. score of 10

And, like a few others, I hated "Wolf Hall"!

I have a few more on the tbr, but there are many I've not even heard of!

message 17: by Theresa (last edited Sep 22, 2019 09:32PM) (new)

Theresa | 6303 comments Joanne wrote: "I have read 7 and 4 are my shelf. Ugh-Wolf Hall AGAIN!!!! I hated that book-If I remember correctly, so did Theresa. I I just don't get it!"

AND IT IS #1! Immediayely the list is comp,etely discredited and bogus. Gone Girl is there too and I thought that poorly written as well...I knew the whole set up by page 15.

So I have read 7...have maybe another 10 or so in my TBR Towers. Most of rest I never heard of.

Besides it has only been 19 years in 21st century...too early for 100 best anything.

message 18: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4979 comments I'm excited to see Gilead on the list (no relation to the Gilead from Handmaid's Tale). I'll be reading it with two book clubs in November and December. Maybe someone here will want to read it too.

message 19: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5496 comments NancyJ wrote: "I'm excited to see Gilead on the list (no relation to the Gilead from Handmaid's Tale). I'll be reading it with two book clubs in November and December. Maybe someone here will want to read it too."

If nothing else precludes it, I will have a go at Gilead. It is on my TBR as a DTB.

message 20: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4979 comments Booknblues wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "I'm excited to see Gilead on the list (no relation to the Gilead from Handmaid's Tale). I'll be reading it with two book clubs in November and December. Maybe someone here will want ..."

"DTB?"

message 21: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2752 comments NancyJ wrote: "Booknblues wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "I'm excited to see Gilead on the list (no relation to the Gilead from Handmaid's Tale). I'll be reading it with two book clubs in November and December. Maybe some..."

DTB - Dead Tree Book

message 22: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8120 comments Theresa wrote: "Besides it has only geen 19 years in 21st century...too early for 100 best anything. ..."

I thought of that yesterday, as well. I completely agree.

message 23: by Karin (last edited Sep 22, 2019 01:42PM) (new)

Karin | 6920 comments I never agree with the top 10 on any list, so of course I don't.

Interestingly, one of my aunts gave me her copy of Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind this summer, although while I started it on the plane coming home, I haven't read it yet. No doubt because she, an atheist and a communist, had no idea I agreed with her on a number of points (but I would never embrace Marxism in a million years and am not an atheist and I read the Manifesto win my university years), but I am hoping to make it through the book.

So, out of this list, some are books I have no interest and three are books I started and discarded. At least one of the ones I finished i didn't think was particularly well-written even though it was and important book. As for Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind I am not going to agree with many of his premises although I can see he is going to make points that I completely agree with. Much of the first chapter was like going down memory lane from my university years.

message 24: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4979 comments Karin wrote: "I never agree with the top 10 on any list, so of course I don't.

Interestingly, one of my aunts gave me her copy of Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind this summer, although whil..."

I have it on my trim list. I'm hoping that the history will be fairly accurate. Oops, I realize that's a naive statement itself because it will be strongly influenced by what part of the world he's in, and what he's read.

message 25: by NancyJ (last edited Sep 22, 2019 02:07PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4979 comments Hmm, I thought 13 would be a low score. I know several of the others from movies or class presentations by students. 3 are on my trim list, and I'll read Underground Railroad with a local book club. I will never finish Gone Girl.

13 of 100 · 13%
You did better than 77% of users on this list
Your rank: #131 of 561 users on this list

message 26: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6920 comments NancyJ wrote: "Hmm, I thought 13 would be a low score. I know several of the others from movies or class presentations by students.

13 of 100 · 13%
You did better than 77% of users on this list
Your rank: #131 ..."

Wow, I can't believe it was that high! I thought it quite low.

message 27: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5633 comments 21 of 100 · 21%
You did better than 92% of users on this list
Your rank: #45 of 571 users on this list

About 5 more are on my TBR

message 28: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 661 comments I also got 21 on this list, and I'm surprised to get a higher score than people here that I'm sure are more prolific readers than me - I didn't closely examine the makeup of the list but I'm guessing it is weighted towards UK authors?

message 29: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 661 comments I was curious so I went back & checked :
1) I'd missed one so my score was actually 22
2) Of those 22, 12 (more than half) were by English authors
So I suspect I did have an unfair advantage ;-)

message 30: by Doughgirl5562 (new)

Doughgirl5562 | 715 comments I've only read a few. One of my top 10 books is on the list, but I won't say which one it is because there is a big spoiler for the book in the description. :-(

message 31: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8120 comments Nikki wrote: "I was curious so I went back & checked :
So I suspect I did have an unfair advantage ;-)"

I'm also curious how many are fairly new? I am usually reading a few years behind, as I don't like putting my name on HUGE hold lists at the library, so I wait until things die down a bit.

message 32: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4979 comments I was surprised that there were so many that I never heard of before. The librarything quiz on the same site is much easier.

message 33: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 661 comments Following up on my UK theory, some might not even have been obviously the same book if they were published under different names (e.g. Notes on a Scandal was What Was She Thinking? in the US.)

message 34: by Michael (new)

Michael (mike999) | 569 comments Very thought provoking list for me, despite all its idiosyncrasies. I read 29, and there were quite a few the gave me a nudge. Their limitation on scope and choices of odd ones as best for an author seems to me due to only posting ones that they have reviewed. Thanks for pksting.

message 35: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3125 comments My number is woefully low, so I won't share, but interesting list. Many that have been on my tbr for years, just haven't gotten to them.

message 36: by Karin (last edited Sep 23, 2019 09:44AM) (new)

Karin | 6920 comments Nikki wrote: "I was curious so I went back & checked :
So I suspect I did have an unfair advantage ;-)"

Mine would be higher if I hadn't been raising babies and toddlers at the turn of the century and then homeschooling for 11 years starting in 2003 (my youngest was born in 2000), but also it's not going to be particularly high because I am not really interested in many of those books, although a few are on my want to read shelf. There are so many great books over the past few hundred years that I don't feel obliged to read all the hot new stuff like this. I do support authors, but prefer to put my money into good authors who aren't on the top of the best seller lists and use the library for the best sellers.

There are some brilliant novels that will never make these lists because they aren't popular enough, at least not at the moment. One can't really judge the best of the century when we aren't even 1/4 of the way through it. I don't even think we're ready to know all of the ones from the last century that will stand the test of time because many aren't old enough yet.

Had anyone published a list like this in 1819, none of Jane Austen's books would have been likely to make the list.

message 37: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4979 comments I hate lists that sound "authoritative" but it turns out they were written by one person.

message 38: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments 10 of 100 · 10%
You did better than 71% of users on this list
Your rank: #442 of 1,537 users on this list
You tied the avg. score of 10

A handful that have been on my TBR for ages, a few I've literally never heard of. I haven't read any of the top 10.