Play Book Tag discussion

September 2019: Cultural > Nefertiti by Michelle Moran - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara M (last edited Sep 21, 2019 08:29AM) (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2151 comments ** Also fits the Horizon tag - Egypt **
Nefertiti by Michelle Moran
Excellent to listen to this one with all the old Egyptian names correctly (I assume) pronounced. One chapter before I got to the end of the book, my library audio expired and I had to read the last bit as an e-book and that made me even more appreciate of audio!

The author did an excellent job of telling the story of young Nefertiti and her family, her father the Vizier Aye who wants his family to rise in the ranks of royalty, and her sister Mutnodjmet who simply wishes to tend her garden and make her remedies. Mutnodjmet is really the star of this book in spite of the title. The story is from her point of view and she is a very likable character. I didn't find Nefertiti likable at all! Nefertiti and the Pharaoh Akhenaten are like selfish little children. I felt there was hope for them at first but it isn't long into the story when you realize the road they have taken isn't good for the country. I hope no one finds that to be a spoiler but it's pretty obvious what type of personalities these two have.

As I've stated Mutnodjmet is the character I most admired, and those around her. Vizier Aye is another that, although he has high aspirations for this family, he is a somewhat reasonable and intelligent man who keeps within the bounds although those are far-reaching ones. Moran writes well and I may be tempted to move up to the next book, especially because Mutny will likely be in that one too.

More information in constantly uncovered with the changes in DNA and other sciences that assist the archaeologists. Moran has done a lot with the small amount information currently available from 3,000 years ago (mind boggling as those numbers are) to create an insightful and believable story of this royal family.

message 2: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8033 comments I also really enjoyed this when I read it. But then, I think there has only been one book by Moran that I've rated less than 4 stars (4 stars, for me, is really good vs 3.5 for good), and that one was still good at 3.5 stars.

message 3: by Olivermagnus (new)

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 1913 comments I just finished this book on audio and totally loved it. I'll have to think about my review but the excellent audio has me giving it a 5. Madame Tussaud: A Novel of the French Revolution was my favorite Michelle Moran but I liked this one even more.

message 4: by Joanne (last edited Sep 21, 2019 03:54PM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7125 comments I have this on my TBR, but for the 2 side challenges here I am trying to avoid books that surpass 300 or so pages. And this month especially, since the monthly ties so closely to Horizons. I did think about getting this for this month.... I will get to this eventually.

message 5: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4896 comments I'm putting this author on my list of women to read next year. I had to laugh when I read your review about the sisters. I have a feeling if my sister were to tell the story of my life, she would end up the star of the book too. There are so many stories of royals and leaders in history that end up being selfish and rotten. I wonder if they start that way, or the power corrupts them.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8188 comments Loved all of Michele Moran’s books!

message 7: by Jemima (new)

Jemima Ravenclaw (jemimaravenclaw) | 351 comments Glad you liked it. I’m about to start. It will be interesting to compare notes.

message 8: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2151 comments NancyJ wrote: "I'm putting this author on my list of women to read next year. I had to laugh when I read your review about the sisters. I have a feeling if my sister were to tell the story of my life, she would e..."

Don't get me wrong! Mutny loved her sister dearly and did many things for her that, left to lher own devices, she would not have done! Mostly Nefetiti took her away from the places she loved, to have her nearby in the palaces. The POV is not from a young woman who disliked her sister but from one who loved her.