Play Book Tag discussion

19 views
September 2019: Cultural > Daisy Jones and The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid. 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara M (last edited Sep 23, 2019 10:21AM) (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2191 comments I loved this! What a nice surprise for me. I like music but not necessarily the culture and reading about it, just listening to it. I thought the girl on the cover looked a lot like Stevie Nicks - Fleetwood Mac was one of my favorites back in the day. So I thought I'd give it a shot since it was getting some good reviews.

Somehow I'd missed noting that the book was done as an interview. I enjoyed that set up. It highlighted how poor some memories are. Most times one person spoke of an event and the others in their turn corroborated the same events but sometimes it was quite different as in this instance:
"KAREN: I bet Warren that Daisy wouldn’t be wearing a bra and I won two hundred bucks. WARREN: We’re all deciding what we were gonna wear and I bet Karen fifty bucks that Billy wore a denim shirt and Daisy didn’t wear a bra. I won fifty bucks."

I thought the approach of using an interview was very clever and the twist toward the end between the interviewer and the artist was excellent but not shocking. The interview form allowed the novelist to illustrate how the different personalities in the band, friendships and even brothers can start to fray. I was impressed with the extent of information and knowledge on the part of the author about the music industry, the song-writing, production, etc. I was also surprised at the end of the book, all the lyrics of songs mentioned throughout the book were there in their entirety.

As I was reading, I went back and forth as to whether Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks could have been the model for The Six and Daisy Jones. I'd about given up on the idea when I read the afterword and acknowledgments. The author writes ""Sylvie Rabineau, thank you for loving Stevie Nicks the way I do and for handling the chaos that was Daisy Jones with grace and joy." Yes! I was right!

I think this will be among my favorites of the year.


message 2: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4994 comments I'm glad you liked it too. I'm curious... Did you read the print or listen to the audio? I think Daisy comes off as more mature and intelligent in the audio (due to the narrator) than she did on paper.


message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Barbara wrote: "I loved this! What a nice surprise for me. I like music but not necessarily the culture and reading about it, just listening to it. I thought the girl on the cover looked a lot like Stevie Nicks - ..."

Barbara, I also wondered if Fleetwood Mac was the inspiration of this story. I found this interview by Taylor Reid which I think you might like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfy6h...


message 4: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2191 comments NancyJ wrote: "I'm glad you liked it too. I'm curious... Did you read the print or listen to the audio? I think Daisy comes off as more mature and intelligent in the audio (due to the narrator) than she did on pa..."

I did the e-book on this one. I'm not sure Daisy should come off mature but I do think she was intelligent, just a bit too spontaneous - and immature perhaps.


message 5: by Barbara M (last edited Sep 23, 2019 10:23AM) (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2191 comments Jason wrote: "I found this interview by Taylor Reid which I think you might like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfy6h...."


Thank You, thank you, thank you. What a great interview! I'm thrilled to hear there will be an Amazon series in the future.


message 6: by NancyJ (last edited Sep 23, 2019 10:42AM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4994 comments Thanks Jason, that is a great interview! I'm really looking forward to the HBO limited series of the book! They do such a great job with book adaptations. We just watched a fantastic short series on HBO called Years and Years (or something like that). It was fantastic.


message 7: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2191 comments NancyJ wrote: "Thanks Jason, that is a great interview! I'm really looking forward to the HBO limited series of the book! They do such a great job with book adaptations. We just watched a fantastic short series o..."

I thought she said it was going to be on Amazon! I'd better go back and pay more attention. Either way, I can't wait either because they often do a good job and Reid was excited about it too.


back to top