What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Single book, possibly YA, thriller about trapped vampires who are freed from a mine in a mountain after a cross is broken. Spoilers in plot description.

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jolene (new)

Jolene | 7 comments I’m looking for a book my sister read between 1991-1995. At that time she was between 10-14 years old and she got the book from our middle school library, but she doesn’t remember if it was a specifically young adult book. No idea when it was written. Here’s the plot (SPOILERS IN PLOT):

Vampires were trapped in a mine that was protected by a cross. When one of the archaeologists (she doesn’t remember for sure if that’s what they were) broke the cross and tossed it away, the vampires were freed. The vampires killed all the livestock, then started killing the people one by one, until there’s one left hiding in a cabin, with a little bit of oil burning out in her lantern while the vampires are waiting to break in.

Thank you in advance!

message 2: by Jolene (new)

Jolene | 7 comments Bump :-)

message 3: by Jolene (new)

Jolene | 7 comments Bump

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33320 comments Mod
Jolene, is this a horror or thriller novel? No romance?

Does she recall the location (country, region, near a well-known city)?

Did you mean "a mine in a mountain" in the header?

message 5: by Jolene (new)

Jolene | 7 comments Yes, the header was supposed to say “mine in a mountain”.

She doesn’t remember the setting. She thinks it was outside of the US, but isn’t 100% sure.

She said that it was more of a thriller, no romance.

I did some searching online and found a book named “darkened hollows” that had a similar sounding plot, but it was written in 2011, and she definitely read the book in the early 90s

The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1473 comments Enter, Night looks like a possibility, judging by the reviews.

message 7: by Kris (new)

I expanded the topic header a bit. Feel free to update it by clicking the small "edit" link after the header - this only works on the full Desktop website.

message 8: by Jolene (new)

Jolene | 7 comments Enter, Night sounds a little similar, but the publish date on that one was 2012, and she definitely read it in the early 90s

The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1473 comments Sorry, I didn't notice the date.

message 10: by Kris (new)

Any chance they're not vampires but some other type of monster or creature? For example, Earthcore (2001) by Scott Sigler - which has different cover images?

message 11: by Jolene (new)

Jolene | 7 comments Kris- She’s pretty positive that it’s vampires or a very similar type creature. she credits this book with starting her lifelong fear and nightmares of vampires. It could be something like the Earthcore book, maybe, but it would be at least 5-10 yrs older

rockabilly werewolf-no worries! Thank you for the suggestion

message 12: by Jolene (new)

Jolene | 7 comments Bump :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Earthcore (other topics)
Enter, Night (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Scott Sigler (other topics)