What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Poem: A friend of an Asian girl if she is Asian, can she speak any languages

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan (meganscoils) | 34 comments I read this around 2016/2017, but the poem is much older than that I think.

Pretty sure it was written by a woman. The author is still alive.

In the poem, a young girl is talking to one of her friends. In the conversation, they go back and forth. The friend asks are you Asian? You don’t look Asian. Can you speak any Asian languages? Have you ever been to [insert country]. The narrator becomes lost for words or the friend will cut them off, not fully allowing her to speak. The friend is very rude with their questions and stereotypes. Between the cutting off and narrator’s thoughts, we lose track of who is speaking.

When the question about language comes up, the narrator says no, she cannot speak any language other than English.

I want to say the title of the poem is “Are you Asian” “What type of Asian are you” or “Asian American” but that’s also why I’m here.

message 2: by Florence (new)

Florence | 363 comments Maybe from https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4... let me tell you this by nadine Aisha jassat, it’s all about similar themes?