Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes > national book awards

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Booknblues (last edited Sep 21, 2019 02:30PM) (new)

message 2: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6099 comments Read none, but 2 in my TBR.

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7119 comments I DNF one and one on my TBR

message 4: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2149 comments Read one! Nickel Boys. I don't usually read the newest books, I'm almost always behind so I'm really surprised.

message 5: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2713 comments I've read none of them, yet. On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous is sitting on my pile of books with looming due dates.

message 6: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5342 comments Joanne wrote: "I DNF one and one on my TBR"

Which one didn't you finish?

message 7: by Joanne (last edited Sep 21, 2019 03:59PM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7119 comments The Corrections, I think it was..I am not sure now because I went down the rabbit hole at the bottom of the page and did a couple of the other lists. If that was on this list, then it is the one

EDIT: Nope-wrong list on this one the DNF was Black Leopard

message 8: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5342 comments Joanne wrote: "The Corrections, I think it was..I am not sure now because I went down the rabbit hole at the bottom of the page and did a couple of the other lists. If that was on this list, then it i..."

Is Black Leopard, short stories?

message 9: by Joy D (last edited Sep 21, 2019 05:29PM) (new)

Joy D | 3082 comments I have read only one on the longlist: On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous. I liked it but didn't love it. Quite a few of my friends did love it, though. The writing is poetic (no wonder, the author is a poet), but the content was too intense for me. There are lots of potential triggers in it.

message 10: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6099 comments No. Black Leopard is fantasy in the same general style as Game of Thrones...and I believe more volumes are coming. It's Marlon James, so it will be unconventional and rule breaking.

message 11: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7119 comments Booknblues wrote: "Joanne wrote: "The Corrections, I think it was..I am not sure now because I went down the rabbit hole at the bottom of the page and did a couple of the other lists. If that was on this ..."

As Theresa said, a fantasy novel. I just could not adapt to the "unconventional" voice-I may try it again, but it won't be anytime soon.

message 12: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1174 comments I’ve read Trust Exercise (Not great), Black Leopard Red Wolf (Not terrible), The Other Americans (fantastic!), On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous (also fantastic), and The Nickel Boys (pretty good).

I have a few of the others, and will try to read them and some of the translated list.

message 13: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3040 comments I read:
Trust Exercise (agree with Tracy, not great)
Black Leopard Red Wolf (insane, loved it, but was fatigued after. nothing like Game of Thrones except for the fact there are a lot of characters and it is violent fantasy.)
The Nickel Boys (so good, loved!)
The Tradition (amazing!)

On my tbr:
On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous
Go Ahead in the Rain
The Need (reading in October for IRL book club)

message 14: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5342 comments Meli wrote: "The Nickel Boys (so good, loved!)
The Tradition (amazing!) "

I'm not seeing The Tradition. Who wrote it?

message 15: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1174 comments It’s one of the poetry finalists. By Jericho Brown.

message 16: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I've only read one, Briefly Gorgeous, and I DNF Black Leopard. I'll try to get the rest of them read and see.

message 17: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5342 comments Tracy wrote: "It’s one of the poetry finalists. By Jericho Brown."

Ah, the one list I didn't check.

message 18: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3040 comments Yes, thanks, Tracy ;)
Poetry is making a comeback and coming from a "not a poetry person" person, I would say there is a lot of it worth checking out right now.

message 19: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7119 comments Susie wrote: "I've only read one, Briefly Gorgeous, and I DNF Black Leopard. I'll try to get the rest of them read and see."

Glad to hear someone else DNF this one-I was self shaming myself over it-And it is rare that I see you, Susi, with a DNF. You made me feel better about it-thanks! Can you tell me why you DNF?

message 20: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I only listened to about an hour of the audio, but I found it pretentious and disorganised, and really just an unpleasant experience. I did have plans to return to reading it rather than listening, but nothing is compelling me to do so. How about you?

message 21: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments I need to look at this list closer. I don't recognize many of them and I feel like I typically have in the past! I should definitely add a few to my list.

message 22: by Joanne (last edited Sep 25, 2019 06:48AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7119 comments Susie wrote: "I only listened to about an hour of the audio, but I found it pretentious and disorganised, and really just an unpleasant experience. I did have plans to return to reading it rather than listening,..."

Well, I read the hard copy...actually only 4 chapters. The disorganization and the "voice" absolutely drove me nuts. I could not follow the dialogue without reading over some things more than once. I hate to sound politically in-correct, but it felt to me that the author was trying too damn hard to to make sure you knew this was "African" fantasy. No offense to anyone-I love all the new voices entering the Fantasy Genre, but this one did not cut it for me.

message 23: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I totally agree.

message 24: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5342 comments The finalists have been announced:
https://www.npr.org/2019/10/08/768004...

Susan Choi, Trust Exercise
Kali Fajardo-Anstine, Sabrina & Corina: Stories
Marlon James, Black Leopard, Red Wolf
Laila Lalami, The Other Americans
Julia Phillips, Disappearing Earth

message 25: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I’m so disappointed that Vuong didn’t make the cut. 😢

message 26: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5342 comments Susie wrote: "I’m so disappointed that Vuong didn’t make the cut. 😢"

I loved Nickel Boys as well. I am planning on reading Disappearing Earth this month.

message 27: by NancyJ (last edited Oct 09, 2019 11:58AM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4894 comments Has anyone read What You Have Heard Is True: A Memoir of Witness and Resistance? It’s a nonfiction finalist.

I own it, and I wasn't quite sure what to make of it.

message 28: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1174 comments Booknblues wrote: "Susie wrote: "I’m so disappointed that Vuong didn’t make the cut. 😢"

I loved Nickel Boys as well. I am planning on reading Disappearing Earth this month."

I think you’ll like Disappearing Earth.

Maybe Vuong is destined to get the Pulitzer. I hope he gets some recognition for his beautiful book!

message 29: by Anita (last edited Oct 09, 2019 12:44PM) (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6257 comments Booknblues wrote: "https://www.nationalbook.org/awards-p...

I've read 3 and have 2 on my tbr.
I've read Fleishman Is in Trouble, The Nickel Boys and [book..."

The three you have read are the three I want to read. I own On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous and just bought The Nickel Boys.

I also really hope to read Sabrina & Corina.

Nothing from the shortlist really appeals to me that much though beyond that, though Tracy's endorsement of The Other Americans will make me give it another look.

I am an Ogawa fan so will probably get to The Memory Police (translated) eventually.

message 30: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5342 comments Anita wrote: "The three you have read are the three I want to read. I own On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous and just bought The Nickel Boys.."

I will be interested in your assessment of each of those.

I think that I can use Disappearing Earth for Crime Fiction this month. I had been holding out on reading it hoping for a Russian Horizon, but it hasn't happened yet.

message 31: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1174 comments The Ogawa is on my nightstand. I’m pretty excited to read it! I also highly recommend Crossing from the translated list.

I’m so glad the NBA created the translated list- I actually saw several of the long listed books in Barnes and Noble the other day, nestled among the Baldaccis and Pattersons.

message 32: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3040 comments I don't understand the appeal of Trust Exercise...

Looking forward to reading Disappearing Earth sometime.

Count me in as one of the readers who enjoyed (nay, loved?) Black Leopard Red Wolf.
I look forward to the rest of the trilogy.