Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

ARCHIVES: CHALLENGES > Pick Me A Winner: October 2019

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (last edited Oct 24, 2019 09:52PM) (new)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7237 comments Duration: October 1-31

Partners will be picked on the same day!

Guidelines for this challenge:
* Create a "shelf" for your partner to choose from before the challenge begins
* You choose 3 books from your partners shelf for your partner to read
* Your partner picks three from your shelf for you to read
*After you read your book come back and post to let your partner know when you are done and what you thought of the book (no pressure, it can be just one sentence)

**** The challenge is to read one book from your shelf that your partner chose. You do not have to read all three! (It's just to give a choice) ****

Please sign up below and post a link to your shelf for your partner to choose from!

message 2: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (last edited Sep 30, 2019 09:52PM) (new)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7237 comments Participants:

Heather
Cynthia
Carrie
Sophie
DollisMarry~
Jessica
Steffi
Michelle
Cheyenne
PreePree
Leah
Misty
Sarah
Dita

message 3: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (last edited Sep 30, 2019 10:10PM) (new)

message 7: by Sophie (last edited Oct 01, 2019 07:39AM) (new)

Sophie | 487 comments I'm in!

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

(btw pay no attention to what's marked tbr secondary vs to read, if it's on the list I want to read it :) )

message 18: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (new)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7237 comments Partners have been picked! See post #3.

message 19: by HeatherH (new)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 157 comments Partnered with Dita!

My choices for Dita are:
Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman - This is one of my favorite reads from this year. I ended up loving it so much I purchased the trilogy in both hardback and audiobooks and have both read and listened to it!
Coraline by Neil Gaiman - I enjoyed this story and it seems like a good spooky option for October!
Circe by Madeline Miller - I'm currently reading this one and the writing is gorgeous!

message 20: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 487 comments Partnered with Leah!

The Rest of the Story by Sarah Dessen

The Bakeshop at Pumpkin and Spice by Donna Kauffman

The Princess Curse by Merrie Haskell

message 21: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 563 comments My partner is Jessica!

The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White - It's October, I had to put this on here. :) Also on my TBR.
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black - I really love this book. I've read it a couple of times. Also fits the season.
Greetings from Witness Protection! by Jake Burt - Won an ARC of this book. Really liked it.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 194 comments My partner is Cynthia and I am picking:

Obsidio (The Illuminae Files, #3) by Amie Kaufman because I think it finishes a series and it's the highest rated on your shelf.

Tales from a Not-So-Fabulous Life (Dork Diaries, #1) by Rachel Renée Russell because it's been on your shelf the longest.

The Girl With All the Gifts (The Girl With All the Gifts, #1) by M.R. Carey because it's suspenseful, sort of scary and seems like a good October read.

message 23: by Steffi (new)

Steffi | 16 comments My partner is Michelle and for her I pick:

Trust Me by Gemma Metcalfe because it sounds like a great thriller

Need by Joelle Charbonneau because this is on my to read list too

The Witch Squad (Witch Squad Mystery #1) by M.Z. Andrews because it looks like a great read for October

I hope one is a winner!

message 24: by PreePree (new)

PreePree | 478 comments My partner is DollisMarry. For you I picked:

The Institute by Stephen King A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle #1) by Libba Bray Pestilence (The Four Horsemen, #1) by Laura Thalassa

Katelin (Dollis Marry~) (hydeist) | 29 comments My partner is PreePree. For her I picked:

Ignite by Jessica Sorensen ,
Sea Wenches Book 1 (Sea Wenches, #1) by Elle Casey ,
Sister Sister by Sue Fortin

These Look fun!

message 26: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6037 comments Thanks for all the great picks Sarah! I'm looking forward to this one and it's cool to be your partner again :) Here are my picks for you:

1. Ghosts by Raina Telgemeier ... I love graphic novels and this seems like the perfect October read.

2. Psych's Guide to Crime Fighting for the Totally Unqualified by Shawn Spencer ... I've honestly never heard anything about this one but my sister works with Dule Hill, therefore I couldn't NOT pick it haha. He's such a nice guy.

3. Cloaked by Alex Flinn ... because I remember the author from Beastly and I'd be interested in seeing if this is good or not

Hope one's a winner!

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 194 comments Cynthia wrote: "Thanks for all the great picks Sarah! I'm looking forward to this one and it's cool to be your partner again :) Here are my picks for you:

1. Ghosts by Raina Telgemeier ... I love graphic novels ..."

Wait your sister works with Dule Hill?! Doing what? This show is one of my favorites :)

message 28: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6037 comments Sarah wrote: "Cynthia wrote: "Thanks for all the great picks Sarah! I'm looking forward to this one and it's cool to be your partner again :) Here are my picks for you:

1. Ghosts by Raina Telgemeier ... I love..."

She works for a nonprofit stage theater company in Pennsylvania lol. I'm not sure what her exact job title is to be honest but he did a show there awhile ago and I think he stops by every now and then. She's a huge psych fan so I can remember her calling to tell me he was there and that she got to take his dog for walks. She's not a dog walker but I can totally see that being something she would ask to do xD

message 29: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 155 comments I'm paired with Misty

Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1) by Kami Garcia

Scythe (Arc of a Scythe, #1) by Neal Shusterman

Poison Princess (The Arcana Chronicles, #1) by Kresley Cole

message 30: by Misty (new)

Misty | 538 comments My partner is Carrie:

Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore because this is one of my all time favorite series!

The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1) by Scott Lynch because I love this series!

We Rule the Night by Claire Eliza Bartlett because it sounds amazing!

I hope you like them!

message 31: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 1650 comments My Partner is Steffi:

The Ghost Files (The Ghost Files, #1) by Apryl Baker - This called to me. I think it's the cover, it's so deliciously creepy. I just added this book to my tbr list.

Now Entering Addamsville by Francesca Zappia - This one sounds good as well

The Haunting of Sunshine Girl (The Haunting of Sunshine Girl, #1) by Paige McKenzie - I gave this 5 stars when I read it.

message 32: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jvblazejak) | 556 comments My partner is Cheyenne and for you I pick:

Quad by C.G. Watson because it's been on your list awhile,
Five Days Five Kisses by Angela Carling because it sounds interesting, or
This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp because I thought it was good.

Hope there's a winner!

I'm going to order mine from the library & decide from there.

message 33: by Dita (new)

Dita | 50 comments My partner is Heather and for you I pick:

Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley because it's October amd I think it could be a fun read;
The Archived (The Archived, #1) by Victoria Schwab this is one of my favourite read of this year;
Far from the Tree by Robin Benway after reading what this book is about, I think it would be a beautiful read.

Hope you enjoy them :)

message 34: by Leah (new)

Leah | 2661 comments My partner is Sophie, and I choose:

Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2) by L.M. Montgomery The Goblin Emperor (The Goblin Emperor, #1) by Katherine Addison Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1) by Danielle L. Jensen

message 35: by Leah (new)

Leah | 2661 comments I read The Princess Curse by Merrie Haskell , but I didn't like it.

message 36: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 487 comments I read The Goblin Emperor (The Goblin Emperor, #1) by Katherine Addison and gave it 4 stars.

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 194 comments I read Ghosts on Friday and liked it. I'm going to try to get to some of the other recs though.

message 38: by Steffi (last edited Oct 18, 2019 01:23PM) (new)

Steffi | 16 comments In the end I opted for The Haunting of Sunshine Girl (The Haunting of Sunshine Girl, #1) by Paige McKenzie and loved it! Thanks so much the amazing pick, Michelle!

message 39: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jvblazejak) | 556 comments I actually was able to read all three of mine (that never happens!):
The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White ★★★ 18 October
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black ★★ 3 October
Greetings from Witness Protection! by Jake Burt ★★★★ 13 October

Thanks for the picks!

message 40: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6037 comments I read Tales from a Not-So-Fabulous Life (Dork Diaries, #1) by Rachel Renée Russell . It was a nice, quick read and I'm glad I finally was able to get it off my shelf after so many years! :) I rated it 3 stars and I'll try to finish reading Obsidio too.

message 41: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 1650 comments Completion Post

Trust Me by Gemma Metcalfe

Book - Trust Me
Author - Gemma Metcalfe
Date - 10/21/19
Rating 4 Stars

Review - I had originally given this 5 stars, but after thinking about it for a day, I had to take a star away because some question arose that kinda baffled me a bit. I will put the rest in spoilers in case someone here decides that they want to read it.

(view spoiler)

message 42: by Misty (new)

Misty | 538 comments I read Poison Princess (The Arcana Chronicles, #1) by Kresley Cole and it was bananas! It might be the most unique book I've read all year. It was so good; I loved it!

message 43: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 155 comments Misty wrote: "I read Poison Princess (The Arcana Chronicles, #1) by Kresley Cole and it was bananas! It might be the most unique book I've read all year. It was so good; I loved it!"

I'm glad you liked it. 😊

message 44: by Katelin (Dollis Marry~) (last edited Oct 31, 2019 06:49PM) (new)

Katelin (Dollis Marry~) (hydeist) | 29 comments I read A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle #1) by Libba Bray gave it 3 stars! It was interesting but I felt a bit rushed. Didn't enjoy it very much but I'm going to give it another shot in the next book since I own the other two in the series :p

message 45: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 563 comments Jessica wrote: "I actually was able to read all three of mine (that never happens!):
The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White★★★ 18 October
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black ..."

That's awesome! I'm a little heartbroken you didn't like Coldtown cuase i lobe that book, but im super glad you really liked Greeting From Wintness Protection!

Unfortantly i didnt get to any of mine. I was plannimg on doing one in the second half of the month, but things got really hectic and we had some really bad weather and I just failed. T.T Sorry.

message 46: by HeatherH (new)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 157 comments @Dita I read The Archived (The Archived, #1) by Victoria Schwab and loved it!! Already ordered book two!