Play Book Tag discussion

A Mother's Reckoning: Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy
This topic is about A Mother's Reckoning
Archive: Other Books > A Mother's Reckoning: Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy / Sue Klebold. 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 8312 comments Sue Klebold was Dylan Klebold’s mother. Dylan was one of the two Columbine High School shooters in April 1999. He and his friend Eric killed 15 people (14 students and 1 teacher) and injured 24 others in their rampage before shooting themselves. Sue has had to figure out how to deal with the fact that, not only did her son kill himself, he killed and hurt others before he did it. She was blindsided. The parents were often blamed; there were lawsuits. I listened to the audio, which she narrated herself.

She starts off the day it happened. She and her husband, Tom, knew there was a shooting at school, but knew nothing else (for sure) until late that evening. They were kept out of their house while the police searched, meanwhile not knowing if Dylan was alive, and only going on rumors that Dylan was involved somehow. Coming to terms with the aftermath took a long time. The son she knew and raised was not someone who could have done such a thing. Obviously, Dylan hid his troubles well. Though the book started off well for me, and most of the book continued that way, the very end lagged a bit. Sue does work now, trying to help people see the signs of suicide and to be able to see the difference between normal teenage behaviour and potential suicidal behaviour – have to admit that that’s where I wasn’t quite as interested.

LibraryCin | 8312 comments I was surprised, when I mentioned this to anyone who asked what I was reading, how many people did not recognize the names Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris without me elaborating.

I suppose it's possible I remembered their names because I also read Columbine by Dave Cullen a while back, but I feel like I would have remembered, anyway.