Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2019 Challenge Archive > 2019 October Word Hunt

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10937 comments Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 31 October 2019

This challenge is to see if you can find all the words listed below within your reading for the month. You do not need to preselect a level.

The maximum number of words for each book is THREE. There is no page limit.

0-3 words : better luck next time
3-5 words : warming up
6-8 words : getting hotter
9-10 words : CHAMPION hunter!

October
wise
choke
loyal
harm
shock
portrait
feed
electric
kitten
strange

Bonus
For our over-achievers who just need some extra words because the above weren't enough...

Unlike with the 10 words above - you must find the EXACT word to claim these bonus words, and I try to make them hard.

director
fork
cocoon
acoustic
moonbeam

and a bonus bonus
accuracy

To prove that you have found the word, please quote the page, percentage or LOC (Kindle) and include the sentence in which it appears.

Audiobooks are allowed so long as you can quote the page/%/LOC and the sentence. (Eg Using whispersync or finding that sentence in some other way.)

You must find the actual word or the word's root word must be at the core with the meaning essentially remaining the same ~ just turned into a noun, adjective, adverb etc. No prefixes or hyphenated extensions. An extension is allowed where it is often the accepted spelling eg goodbye or good-bye.

Where a word has more than one meaning, either meaning may be used. Eg coast (beachfront) or coast (moving without effort) etc

Please post all entries, updates, final posts and questions in this thread.

NEW RULING

If you are one of those super-cray-cray/OCD/overly ambitious/organised or bored readers who wish to find words from PRIOR months that are missing in addition to the current month's words, you may use an additional three (3) words per book. These can only be allocated to prior month words.

So you may allocate three words per book to the current month's words, AND three words per book if those words are from PRIOR months' and have been carried forward.

Examples for 'Reversal'
Reverse -
Visions √ 15 May
p50-51 : There were a couple of bands Tam had that this person didn't, but none in the reverse.

Reversing -
Sunset√ 10 Jul
p204 : Reversing his grip on his katana, he held it out to Nick.

message 2: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Sep 20, 2019 08:10PM) (new)

message 3: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Sep 20, 2019 08:11PM) (new)

Fran | 10937 comments Tips for finding words - courtesy of Jennifer ♔Princess Penguin♔

Using Google books:
~Go here - https://books.google.com/bkshp?hl=en&...
~Type in the name of your book
~Select your book
~On the left about midway down there will be a search bar, type your word in there.

Couple of things you need to know...
~you need to check every variety of the word you want so, let's say GROUP doesn't show up you would also need to type in GROUPS/ED/ING
~Unfortunately, 99% of the books on Google does not list page numbers (at least in my experience)

Using Amazon:
~You search for your book
~Once on your book page make sure you are on a version that is paperback or hardcover (Kindle editions will not work)
~On the left there will be a picture of your book and it should have "Search Inside" above it
~Click on the book and the search bar will be inside

You will not need to search separately for plurals but you will still need to search separately for -ed and -ing

You can also search for words in all the books loaded on your Kindle.

On the home page, use the 'search' function.
~ type in the word and select 'search my items'.

message 4: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10937 comments *

message 5: by Rissa (last edited Oct 23, 2019 11:07PM) (new)

Rissa | 601 comments Hi Fran!
My spot! Woohoo, October! :)

RRRC Challenges - October 2019

Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 31 October 2019

October Finished 10/10!

wise - If We Could Go Back - LOC 4133 - "“Kidding aside, I’m not sure it’s wise I get too comfortable here.”" - 10/5/2019

choke - If We Could Go Back - LOC 3531 - "No Lego he could choke on, no McDonald’s toys he could chew on." - 10/5/2019

loyal - Chosen Pride - LOC 314 - "“You’re loyal, Jon,” he assured me, glancing over his shoulder at me. “And that means something to me.”" - 10/21/2019

harm - Chosen Pride - LOC 1170 - "He made a noise of derision like he’d just figured out something bad. “I’ve done ye great harm, I see tha’ now.”" - 10/21/2019

shock - Deal Maker - LOC p119 - "I jerk and stare at him in shock. “Why there?”" - 10/7/2019

portrait - Deal Maker - LOC p115 - "She shrugs. “Thank you. I’m a portrait painter by trade. This is just something for my husband’s birthday.”" - 10/7/2019

feed - Honeymoon for One - LOC p266 - "Pete had rigged it so his laptop was getting the TV feed from inside, so they had captions and everything." - 10/16/2019

electric - Honeymoon for One - LOC p154 - "Ethan swore he could feel an electric current through just that slight touch, and he had to be dreaming, because it sure as shit seemed like Clay wanted to kiss him." - 10/16/2019

kitten - Heart2Heart: A Charity Anthology, Volume 3 - LOC 8794 - "Quinn pulled the lever on the side of his chair, propping his feet up as he leaned back to cuddle the kitten." - 10/12/2019

strange - Heart2Heart: A Charity Anthology, Volume 3 - LOC 9118 - ""Cool," Travis said, his voice sounding strange." - 10/12/2019

Bonus Finished 5/5!

director - Psycho Romeo - LOC p156 - "Now he found himself staring at an effusive note from the director of the charity, thanking Geoffrey for his donation of $500,000 and promising to keep the donation anonymous." - 10/20/2019

fork - Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case - LOC p142 - "I rolled my eyes before taking a fork to the cake." - 10/14/2019

cocoon - Psycho Romeo - LOC p172 - "He pulled the duvet over his head and made a cocoon." - 10/20/2019

acoustic - IRL: In Real Life - LOC 3287 - "The familiar sound of her voice soothed me more than any acoustic music ever could." - 10/18/2019

moonbeam - What a Darling Summertime by skoosiepants - LOC 128 - "Camp Moonbeam is a good fifteen minute hike from Camp Arrowhead, with the lake dock in between." - 10/22/2019

and a bonus bonus Finished 1/1!

accuracy - Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case - LOC p38 - "Not everything could be read with pinpoint accuracy—emotions didn’t come with address labels, I couldn’t always see the cause of them—but I knew that reaction." - 10/14/2019

message 6: by D.K. Daisy (last edited Oct 01, 2019 10:00AM) (new)

D.K. Daisy (kuucina) | 32 comments Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 31 Oct 2019

October: 0/10
(view spoiler)

Bonus: 0/5
(view spoiler)

Bonus Bonus: 0/1
(view spoiler)

Leftovers: 0/5
(view spoiler)

Books read: ...

message 7: by Calila (last edited Nov 01, 2019 03:43PM) (new)

Calila | 2744 comments Dibs

14/16 + 4/10
Choke - Flame and Ash 10/04-08/19 ★★★
LOC 2238: "Would will pull over and let him puke, or make him choke on his own vomit?"
Electric - Homeward Bound 10/03-04/19 ★★★★
LOC 2236: "The contact sent an electric current all through Swift's body, making him feel like he'd lit up like a Christmas tree."
Feed - Lucky Break 10/13-15/19 ★★★★
LOC 620: "While closed, the kitchen would again be feeding a skeleton crew."
Harm - Goalie Interference 10/10-11/19 ★★★★
LOC 2796: "The stakes were higher, players pushed themselves to the brink, defensemen willingly threw themselves into the paths of shots they would've normally tried to deflect in a way that didn't risk some sort of bodily harm."
Kitten - Natural Disaster 10/17/19 ★★★★
LOC 155: "The very competitive Kitten Bowl?"
Loyal - Goalie Interference 10/10-11/19 ★★★★
LOC 2713: "Loyalties?"
Portrait - Flame and Ash 10/04-08/19 ★★★
LOC 1736: "Evan stepped in front of Seth to keep the tour guide from seeing Seth take a picture of the portrait with his phone."
Shock - Lucky Break 10/13-15/19 ★★★★
LOC 2089: "It can be a culture shock if you aren't used to it."
Strange - Homeward Bound 10/03-04/19 ★★★★
LOC 1541: She was such a loud, slightly strange but completely brilliant child."
Wise - Siren's Heart 10/18-19/19 ★★★
LOC 221: "Very wise."
Bonus:
Acoustic -
LOC:
Cocoon - The Twelfth Knight 10/05/19 ★★★★
LOC 1803: "Lance had stayed on top of the comforter while Mel had used it like a cocoon."
Director - Natural Disaster 10/17/19 ★★★★
LOC 230: "Guthrie's favorite director, Angelica, clapped her hands."
Fork - Goalie Interference 10/10-11/19 ★★★★
LOC 2043: "She set her fork down and leaned toward him."
Moonbeam -
LOC:
Bonus Bonus
Accuracy - The Twelfth Knight 10/05/19 ★★★★
LOC 1324: "A fraction, less than a heartbeat of a second, and it was all that was needed for Ali to twist to avoid Lance's blade and bring hers up with such deadly accuracy, Lance's sword went spinning from his hand followed by a gush of blood as the edge of her blade caught him."
ROLLOVERS:
Bait - Flame and Ash 10/04-08/19 ★★★
LOC 1435: "You want to use Kyle as bait?
Flowery - where death meets the devil
LOC 4460: "She looked like she belonged exactly there, leaning against the back of an Audi SUV in sunglasses and a flowery summer dress, waves of white-blonde hair falling beautifully around her shoulders, bags of shopping at her high-heel-encased feet."
BONUS
Degenerative -
LOC:
Assiduously -
LOC:
Cadaver -
LOC:
Hoax - Flame and Ash 10/04-08/19 ★★★
LOC 98: "It was supposed to be a fun night spent drinking beers and making hoax video to prank some of Jesse's friends."
Arcade - Homeward Bound 10/03-04/19 ★★★★
LOC 3381: "the sun would set just before six o'clock, so until then, Micha nibbled on his cookie, then wandered along the boardwalk, watching kids in the arcade."
Reign - The Twelfth Knight 10/05/19 ★★★★
LOC 669: "That your affair might even have ended Arthur's reign had he lived?"
BONUS BONUS
Celestial -
LOC:
Vagabond - Natural Disaster 10/17/19 ★★★★
LOC 1002: "His past was a long line of boys' homes and foster care and a cobbled-together career as a professional vagabond."

message 8: by Georgina (last edited Oct 09, 2019 09:48PM) (new)

Georgina Parkin (geosbookblog) | 251 comments words 10/10 | bonus 6/6

wise:
LOC 3534 “He’s handsome, sweet, and wise...” The Deep End 1/10
choke: P10 “I turn to answer him and almost choke on my own spit.” Praying for Rain 5/10
loyal: LOC 529 “I’m willing to be a good husband, hard worker, and loyal father to any kids we have.” Throne of Truth 8/10
harm: P156 “... he will always be beside me, keeping me from harm.” Commodity 4/10
shock: LOC 506 “... a complete shock and a total turn on coming from this guy...” Heat 3/10
portrait: LOC 290 “...her grave reflection was like the portrait of a beautiful female from the past...” Blood Truth 10/10
feed: P31 “...the last thing I need is another mouth to feed.” Praying for Rain 5/10
electric: P140 “It feels electric as my skin tingles...” Commodity 4/10
kitten: LOC 439 “Security: KittenThe Deep End 1/0
strange: LOC 280 “It was strange, I didn’t mind doing it...” Heat 3/10

Bonus -
director:
LOC 734 “A new director of the board buying fifty-one percent of the stock...” Throne of Truth 8/10
fork: P96 “... reverberates through the metal awning above us like a tuning fork.” Praying for Rain 5/10
cocoon: LOC 4575 “But in their cocoon of just Olly and Leigh, she also was.” The Deep End 1/10
acoustic: LOC 2919 “But playing angry music on an acoustic guitar is completely dissatisfying, so I stopped.” Heat 3/10
moonbeam: LOC 1759 “Her soft silver fur glowed warm like a tiny moonbeam...” Throne of Truth 8/10
accuracy: P288 “I have no real doubt of Vole’s technological accuracy...” Commodity 4/10

message 9: by Barbara ★ (last edited Nov 05, 2019 06:51PM) (new)

Barbara ★ | 3550 comments October Word Hunt

READ: 9/16

✔ wise - The 10th Kingdom - Kathryn Wesley 10/9
(delicate features and wise eyes), p14

✔ choke - Mask of Shadows - Linsey Miller 10/7
(trapped him in a choke hold), p110

✔ loyal - Mask of Shadows - Linsey Miller 10/7
(unquestionably loyal), p317

✔ harm - Beef Stolen-Off - Liz Lipperman 10/12
(threatening to harm Maria), p131

✔ shock - Mask of Shadows - Linsey Miller 10/7
(sniffled at the shock of the cut), p150

✔ portrait - Vendetta in Death - J.D. Robb 10/17
(she looked up at the portrait), p143

✔ feed - Of Cinder and Bone - Kyoko M. 10/12
(she smelled old droppings and feed), p243

electric -
(), p

✔ kitten - Mask of Shadows - Linsey Miller 10/7
(limb wobbly as a kittens), p187

✔ strange - The Eerie Adventures of the Lycanthrope Robinson Crusoe - Peter Clines 10/11
(the days in the shadowed and strange valley), p103

ORPHANS
April Words
puce - Michel/Striker - Alexandra Ivy & Laura Wright 10/25
(flushed to an ugly shade of puce), p23

August Words
hoax - The Forgotten - Heather Graham 10/4
(that's some kind of hoax), p55

September Words
hamster -Roping Your Heart - Cheyenne McCray 10/20
(and her hamster, Sam), p17

elated -Laid Bear - Eve Vaughn 10/21
(he'd been elated when she'd come back), p70

message 10: by Andrea (last edited Nov 02, 2019 02:37AM) (new)

Andrea | 101 comments READ: 14 words in 8 books

wise - Loving Hector - Oct18 - 5*
LOC 2728 - "Miss Lily nodded her head like a wise old oracle"
choke - Redesigning Landry Bishop - Oct22 - 5*
LOC 1124 - "Landry almost choked on his water, because Jordan had a point"
loyal - Redesigning Landry Bishop - Oct22 - 5*
LOC 1882 - "Even if a demo fell flat or an interview proved tedious, he could keep the audience loyal by giving them freebies"
harm - No Such Thing - Oct31 - 4*
LOC 291 - "I don't suppose there's any harm in you knowing"
shock - Halloween is Murder - Oct8 - 5*
LOC 130 - "I don't think he's ever fully recovered from the shock"
portrait - Bad Boyfriend - Oct12 - 3*
LOC 1012 - "I want to get a new family portrait done"
feed - Redesigning Landry Bishop - Oct22 - 5*
LOC 2267 - "Now everyone go home so we can feed him"
electric - Loving Hector - Oct18 - 5*
LOC 1095 - "Twenty seconds later Gramps was toddling off down the street with the rest of his donuts in a paper bag where Miss Lily had unceremoniously tossed them, and Dill was back in the kitchen mixing dough with the bigass electric mixer ..."
kitten - Loving Hector - Oct18 - 5*
LOC 2616 - "Patting Gramps on the head like a kitten."
strange - Halloween is Murder - Oct8 - 5*
LOC 385 - "It gave Barry a very strange feeling deep in his guts."

Bonus:

director - No Quick Fix - Oct14 - 4*
LOC 326 - "Cahill, which by all accounts was a good company committed to sustainability, would take over the land management and daily operations, while Emery would continue to sit on the board o directors"
fork - Private Charter - Oct29 - 4*
LOC 224 - "I handed him a fork"
cocoon - Private Charter - Oct29 - 4*
LOC 2453 - "A really well-designed, expensive cocoon."
acoustic - Rocking the Cowboy - Oct27 - 5*
LOC 2003 - "He began to sing a few of his older songs, including a fast-paced dance song that he slowed down to work with his acoustic guitar."
moonbean

accuracy

message 11: by CB (last edited Oct 19, 2019 06:41AM) (new)

CB (cb33) | 1041 comments I’m in!

October Word Hunt

Regular 10/10
Bonus 3/5
Bonus Bonus 1/1

Regular
wise - The Wall of Winnipeg and Me by Mariana Zapata (10/9/19) 4⭐️
I liked to think I made wise decisions; that I did what was the best for me, or would be the best for me in the long run. LOC 1444

choke - The Wall of Winnipeg and Me by Mariana Zapata
I choked and he ignored me, barreling straight through into his explanation. LOC 1960

loyal - Mogul by Katy Evans (10/13/19) 3⭐️
“You won’t ever meet someone as loyal as Sara.” Page 226

harm - Loathe Me by L.P. Lovell (10/15/19) 4⭐️
Of course, he could never harm her physically. LOC 230

shock - Mogul by Katy Evans
But shock doesn’t come close to it. Page 60

portrait - The Wall of Winnipeg and Me by Mariana Zapata
Unless someone wanted a portrait, then I’d pretend to be asleep so I wouldn’t have to admit how bad at them I was. LOC 6288

feed - Mogul by Katy Evans
Feed the ache. Page 210

electric - Archangel's Prophecy by Nalini Singh (10/6/19) 4.5⭐️
Taking another breath while trying not to notice the electric prickling on her face, Elena triangulated the source of the scent to a particular cabin. Page 23

kitten - Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan (10/12/19) 3⭐️
I will not die like a kitten in a sack, Elayne thought bitterly. Page 216

strange - Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
“Strange customs, you shorebound have.” Page 34

Bonus
director - Archangel's Prophecy by Nalini Singh
“However, I assume the Guild director has given you the details?” Page 16

fork - Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
“She shouldn’t be found before morning, when they fork down fresh hay for the stalls.” Page 606

cocoon - Archangel's Prophecy by Nalini Singh
It felt so soft against the side of her cheek, almost like a cocoon. Page 229

acoustic
moonbeam

Bonus bonus
accuracy - Loathe Me by L.P. Lovell
I have a split second and serious doubts as to whether I can still throw a knife with any accuracy, but I allow the blade to fly, watching it tumble end over end before I’m wrenched backward. LOC 1575

The Wall of Winnipeg and Me by Mariana Zapata Mogul (Manhattan, #2) by Katy Evans Loathe Me (Touch of Death #1) by L.P. Lovell Archangel's Prophecy (Guild Hunter, #11) by Nalini Singh Winter's Heart (Wheel of Time, #9) by Robert Jordan

message 12: by JoAnne (last edited Nov 02, 2019 04:15PM) (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 260 comments The maximum number of words for each book is THREE. There is no page limit.

9-10 words : CHAMPION hunter! Finished and carried forward orphan words not found plus one bonus word from this month.

Read 10/10; 4/5 bonus words; 1/1 bonus bonus

October Read 10/10 DONE!
wise - Kindle location 3345 - Even she knew that wasn't wise.
A Cowboy Under the Mistletoe (The Wyoming Cowboy #3) by Jessica Clare 10/6/19 4stars

choke - Kindle location 876 - "...but I have patience," Finn said, making Brandon choke on his swallow, bring Finn slight pleasure.
Finn (Anderson Billionaires #1) by Melody Anne 10/5/19 4.5stars

loyal - Kindle location 4072 - He was a damn good dog, loyal and loving.
A Cowboy Under the Mistletoe (The Wyoming Cowboy #3) by Jessica Clare 10/6/19 4stars

harm - Kindle location 1080 - ...because she'd put herself in harm's way, but she stared back at me with a pleading look...
Enamored (The Accidental Billionaires #3) by J.S. Scott 10/8/19 4stars

shock - Kindle location 197 - Finn was in total and utter shock.

portrait - Kindle location 2465 - Discussed the portrait like a reasonable human being.
Hidden Cove (Solace Island #3) by Meg Tilly 10/3/19 4stars

feed - Kindle location 1944 - "But you'll have to feed her."
Can't Judge a Book By Its Murder (Main Street Book Club Mysteries #1) by Amy Lillard 10/10/19 4stars

electric - Kindle location 3763 - Camille went down to pay her electric bill, then she was going to take Chloe something to eat.
Can't Judge a Book By Its Murder (Main Street Book Club Mysteries #1) by Amy Lillard 10/10/19 4stars

kitten - Kindle location 1069- The man could charm his way into a lion's den and have them all purring like kittens.

strange - Kindle location 252 - "Just...it was strange.

Bonus read 4/5

director - paperback page 36 - The center was her family business, and she worked there as the director.
Finding Christmas by Karen Schaler 10/9/19 4stars

fork - Kindle location 1920 - Zelia circled her fork in the air, a green bean stuck in its prongs.

cocoon - Kindle location 1871 - ...but Rafe could feel the heat begin to swirl around them, wrapping them in a cocoon.
The Devil in the Saddle (Princes of Texas #2) by Julia London 10/29/19 4stars

acoustic

moonbeam - Kindle location 1227 - ...a solitary moonbeam causing the large oak tree outside the window to cast witchy shadows on the floor.

and a bonus bonus
accuracy - Kindle location 3830 - ...she asked with that unerring accuracy that he appreciated a lot more when it was aimed at someone else.
Sergeant's Christmas Siege (Alaska Force #3) by Megan Crane 10/19/19 4stars

Orphan Words
September - Read 1/2 words; 2/3 bonus words; 0/1 bonus bonus word
August - Read 0/2 bonus words
July - Read 0/1 bonus word
June - Read 0/1 bonus word; 0/1 bonus bonus word
May - Read 1/1 bonus word
April - read 0/1 bonus word

ORPHAN WORDS
September - Read 1/2
flowery - Kindle location 324 - Sometimes, he thought he could still smell her flowery perfume.
A Western Love for an Unexpected Bride: A Historical Western Romance Novel by Etta Foster 10/27/19 4stars

hamster

Bonus - Read 2/3 MUST BE EXACT
arcade

elated - Kindle location 1799 - I felt elated when I heard a huge splash next to me.
Enamored (The Accidental Billionaires #3) by J.S. Scott 10/8/19 4stars

reign - Kindle location 128 - "Our father's reign of terror and tyranny have robbed Avana of prosperity and peace."
Claimed by the Sheikh(The Sheikhs Untamed Brides Book 1) by Mollie Mathews 10/19/19 4stars

and a bonus bonus - Read 0/1
vagabond

August Bonus - must be exact - Read 0/2
crater

lunar

July
Bonus words - must be exact!
gateway

June orphan bonus words - must be exact!
clover

and a bonus bonus
knotty

MAY Orphan Bonus must be exact
lackadaisical - Kindle location 3760 - Or would his lackadaisical approach to life ultimately have driven her crazy and them apart?

April Orphan Bonus must be exact
degenerative

NEW RULING
If you are one of those super-cray-cray/OCD/overly ambitious/organised or bored readers who wish to find words from PRIOR months that are missing in addition to the current month's words, you may use an additional three (3) words per book. These can only be allocated to prior month words.

So you may allocate three words per book to the current month's words, AND three words per book if those words are from PRIOR months' and have been carried forward.

message 13: by ~Teresa (last edited Oct 09, 2019 06:47PM) (new)

~Teresa | 322 comments October Word Hunt

Regular: 4/10
Bonus: 2/5
Bonus-Bonus: 0/0

Regular

✔️wise ~ The Halloween House ~ Page 17 ~ ... a jot of time wondering if it was WISE for friends to become ... ~ 10/6/19

✔️choke ~ Without a Trace ~ Page 276 ~ ... hands around his neck and CHOKE the life out of him. ~ 10/1/19

✔️loyal ~ A Beeline to Murder ~ Loc. 1770 ~ ... by the establishment’s LOYAL customers ... ~ 10/9/19
harm
shock
portrait
✔️feed ~ Playing for Keeps ~ Page 221 ~ ... of food was going to FEED them for a week. ~ 10/4/19
electric
kitten
strange

Bonus

✔️director ~ Without a Trace ~ Page 134 ~ In the letter, the DIRECTOR had asked her to call and schedule an appointment ... ~ 10/1/19

✔️fork ~ Without a Trace ~ Page 145 ~ ... for she picked up her FORK and lapsed into a sullen silence. ~ 10/1/19

cocoon
acoustic
moonbeam

Bonus-Bonus

accuracy

Without a Trace (Rock Harbor, #1) by Colleen Coble The Halloween House (A Tess and Tilly Cozy Mystery Book 4) by Kathi Daley Playing for Keeps (Neighbor from Hell, #1) by R.L. Mathewson A Beeline to Murder (Henny Penny Farmette Mystery, #1) by Meera Lester

message 14: by Tammie (last edited Dec 15, 2019 09:35PM) (new)

Tammie | 1618 comments Monthly Word Hunt
Read: 10/10
Bonus: 4/5
Bonus-Bonus: 1/1
Carry Overs: 2/3

10/10 choke - Entranced, pg 15 of 329, "... If you want Mr. Donovan to" --she almost choked on the word-- "to help, then he'll help."

10/11 electric - Wildest Dreams, pg 112 of 360 "You could help me with the electric bill, but I use so much more than the loft ever uses. "

10/20 feed - Birth of Magic: A Sun-Blessed Trilogy Novella, loc 1137 of 1859 "Feed the baby," Mayor Held ordered.

10/12 harm - The Rake and the Recluse: Redux, pg 288"... But she does try. There's no harm.

10/15 kitten - How to Date Your Dragon, pg 81 of 211, ...it was a landscape, the painting of the kitten, an old icon of an orthodox ...

10/10 loyal - Entranced, pg 130 of 329, She was also warm and generous, loyal and brave, and honest.

10/12 portrait - The Rake and the Recluse: Redux, pg 13Going back to her dresser, she picked up the old family portrait that had been taken just a month before.

10/1 shock - Vox, pg 27 of 336, ...if the LED turns over to 101, she'll share the inevitable shock.

10/20 strange - Birth of Magic: A Sun-Blessed Trilogy Novella, loc 536 of 1859 Now she was back under the forest's strange protection.

10/10 wise - Entranced, pg 20 of 329, He was shrewd enough to make a healthy profit, wise enough to leave day-to-day management in the hands of experts...

Bonus
acoustic

10/1 cocoon - Vox, pg 171 of 336, ...softness; no edges, no probing, only a warm cocoon of lips and …of lips and …

10/1 director - Vox, pg 186 of 336, The director, when interviewed, had called it "neat."

10/15 fork - How to Date Your Dragon, pg 81 of 211, Bael handed her a fork.

10/12 moonbeam - The Rake and the Recluse: Redux, pg 239"...and Linton's is as different as a moonbeam from lightning, or frost from fire."

Bonus-Bonus
10/15 accuracy - How to Date Your Dragon, pg 81 of 211, And even though she would have to take her own measurements of the rift to assure accuracy, she smiled and said, “That would be helpful, thank you.”

Carried Over:
10/1 hamster - Vox, pg 55 of 336, The hamster wheel in my head must be making noise, because Patrick stops with the water glasses and turns me towards him.

cuddly

10/12 elated - The Rake and the Recluse: Redux, pg 429...which unseated the masculine feeling of victory that traditionally elated his mood after a tryst.

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments 🎃👻🧟‍♂️ 2019 October Word Hunt 🎃👻🧟‍♂️

Regular Words: 0/10 found
1. wise
2. choke
3. loyal
4. harm
5. shock
6. portrait
7. feed
8. electric
9. kitten
10. strange

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Bonus Words: 0/5 found
1. director
2. fork
3. cocoon
4. acoustic
5. moonbeam

1 2 3 4 5

Bonus Bonus
accuracy

😭 Orphans 😭

message 16: by Maritza (last edited Oct 22, 2019 01:31PM) (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 521 comments October Word Hunt
1 - 31 October 2019

Words Found - 10 of 10, 2 of 5 Bonus, 0 of 1 Bonus Bonus

wise, Once and Always 10/18 - Andrew was five years her senior and WISE beyond his age, (pg 13)
choke, Protected By Red: A Bad Boy Protector Romance 10/04 - Van grabbed one around the neck and got him into a CHOKE hold. (loc 88.3%)
loyal, President Daddy 10/02 - "I know. But they're LOYAL." (loc 826)
harm, Protected By Red 10/04 - , not wanting one of their own to come to any HARM, (loc 9.8%)
shock, Vagabond: A slave's survival in Rome 10/08 - and noticed the look of absolute SHOCK on her face. (pg 97)
portrait, Once and Always 10/18 - the PORTRAIT was back in my own room. (pg 132)
feed, Vagabond: A slave's survival in Rome 10/08 - his arousal seemed to FEED hungrily, (pg 124)
electric, Denial 10/11 - , my hand going to his palm, the touch ELECTRIC, (pg 78)
kitten, Penguins and Mortal Peril 10/22 - This little KITTEN definately took after its mom. (pg 98)
strange, President Daddy 10/02 - Adam has this STRANGE, otherworldly feel about him, (loc 364)

President Daddy (Dark Daddies, #4) by B.B. Hamel Protected By Red (Original Sin) by Melissa Devenport Vagabond A slave's survival in Rome (The Empress and the Vagabond, #1) by Alan Florine Denial (Careless Whispers, #1) by Lisa Renee Jones Once and Always by Judith McNaught Penguins and Mortal Peril (Madigan Amos Zoo Mysteries #1) by Ruby Loren

director
fork, Denial 10/11 - He lifts his FORK and cuts his pancakes, (pg 191)
cocoon, Denial 10/11 - He molds me to him, into the COCOON of his body. (pg 216)
acoustic
moonbeam

accuracy

message 17: by Pam from Maine (last edited Oct 28, 2019 12:12PM) (new)

Pam from Maine | 377 comments This challenge is to see if you can find all the words listed below within your reading for the month. You do not need to preselect a level.

Orphan

arcade Off the Ice pg 128 "It was like something you'd see in an old arcade."

wise Match Me If You Can LOC 821 "A wise decision," portia replied, with only a whiff of condescension."

choke The Pelican Brief pg 408 "She choked a little, but fought it off."

loyalThe Pelican Brief pg 261 "He was a fine lawyer and he was loyal to me."

harm Match Me If You Can LOC 2053 "...but he hadn't seen the harm.:

hock Borrowed Horses LOC 742 "...his weight in my arms, protecting his sore hocks."

portrait Borrowed Horses LOC 2130 "There was no power in that portrait--not as I understood it."

feed Bridge to Terabithia page 120 "He could milk and feed Miss Bessie, and get that over with."

electric> Bridge to Terabithia page 80 "...that they advertised on TV, but it was electric,and he knew his dad had put more more money into it than he should have."

kitten Rock Hard pg 333 "Shuddering, she collapsed against him like a frightened kitten."

strange Caught pg 39 "Strange, since it appears you have been doing it for the past three years."

Bonus
For our over-achievers who just need some extra words because the above weren't enough...

Unlike with the 10 words above - you must find the EXACT word to claim these bonus words, and I try to make them hard.

director The Pelican Brief pg The director is very concerned with Justice Jensen's safety."

fork Match Me If You Can pg 1238 "She loaded up her fork with a scoop of golden, garlicky polenta."

cocoon Rock Hard pg 99 "..with the night enclosing them in a dark cocoon, everything felt different.."

acousticHeat pg 191 "But playing angry music on an acoustic guitar is completely dissatisfying,"

moonbeam Moonbeam & Roses 10/13 page 101 "He came around and tied Moonbeam beside her."

and a bonus bonus

accuracy Rock Hard pg 13 "...too heavy for her to throw with any accuracy."

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (shuga) | 1073 comments Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 31 October 2019

wise
choke
loyal
harm
shock
portrait
feed
electric
kitten
strange

Bonus
director
fork
cocoon
acoustic
moonbeam

and a bonus bonus
accuracy

Mamacita aka MawMaw  (mamawantsbedtimestory) | 766 comments Mama's October Word Hunt
1 - 31 October 2019

Regular 0/10
Bonus 0/5
Bonus Bonus 0/1

Regular
wise
choke
loyal
harm
shock
portrait
feed
electric
kitten
strange

Bonus
director
fork
cocoon
acoustic
moonbeam

Bonus bonus
accuracy

message 20: by Claire (last edited Oct 31, 2019 04:58PM) (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 84 comments October Word Hunt

1. Wise Days of Wonder by Keith Stuart But she was already wise, LOC: pg. 1 READ: 10/31/19
2. Choke(s) Days of Wonder by Keith Stuart ...he almost chokes on his Mr Kipling Country Slice. LOC: pg. 232 READ: 10/31/19
3. Loyal
4. Harm Carrie by Stephen King There's no harm in it really no harm in it really no harm - LOC: 83 READ: 10/9/19
5. Shock Carrie by Stephen King ...through the dullness of her shock. LOC: 2840 READ: 10/9/19
6. Portrait(s) Days of Wonder by Keith Stuart - we do family portraits, weddings, that sort of thing. LOC: pg. READ: 10/31/19
7. Feed Carrie by Stephen King They feed you shit. LOC: 1363 READ: 10/9/19
8. Electric
9. Kitten
10. Strange

Bonus

1. Director
2. Fork
3. Cocoon
4. Acoustic
5. Moonbeam

Bonus Bonus

1. Accuracy

Orphan Words (November)

Bonus Bonus

1. Bovine Carrie by Stephen King ...her face, her dull, stupid, bovine face, LOC: 513 READ: 10/9/19

Orphan Words (December)

1. Blubber(ing) Carrie by Stephen King ...mind all weekend, Carrie screaming, blubbering, LOC: pg. 83 READ: 10/9/19
2. Elf Days of Wonder by Keith Stuart ...left her for a wood elf or whatever. LOC: pg. 57 READ: 10/31/19

Bonus

1. Scrooge

Orphan Words (January)

1. Beanie

Bonus

1. Neighborly

Bonus Bonus

1. Stupendous

Orphan Words (February)

Bonus

1. Acoustics Days of Wonder by Keith Stuart caught in the weird acoustics of the stage, LOC: pg. 22 READ: 10/31/19
2. Lumpy

Bonus Bonus

1. Squalid

Orphan Words (March)

1. Handy Carrie by Stephen King ....which used me as a handy scapegoat, did not understand it LOC: 979 READ: 10/9/19
2. Paddle
3. Rigging
4. Sheep

Bonus

1. Blistering
2. Ephemeral
3. Senile
4. Tramp

Bonus Bonus

1. Smallpox

Orphan Words (April)

1. Curfew
2. Dire
3. Hive
4. Husky
5. Knot
6. Lottery
7. Prayer
8. Vulture

Bonus

1. Abrasive
2. Biblical
3. Degenerative
4. Devotee
5. Dolphins

Bonus Bonus

1. Puce

Orphan Words (May)

1. Betray
2. Drone
3. Frantic
4. Hazy
5. Lamb
6. Puzzle
7. Radiate
8. Raspy (rasp)

Bonus

1. Breezy
2. Calculator
3. Lackadaisical
4. Painstaking
5. Propaganda

Bonus Bonus

1. Holistic

Orphan Words (June)

1. Aftermath
2. Applaud
3. Dock
4. Furtive
5. Guitar
6. Inject
7. Milk
8. Ornate
9. Toothbrush

Bonus

1. Accomplice
2. Chivalrous
3. Clover
4. Mohawk
5. Rambunctious

Bonus Bonus

1. Knotty

Orphan Words (July)

1. Coyotes
2. Hairless
3. Intruder
4. Viper

Bonus

1. Assiduously
2. Cadaver
3. Charismatic
4. Gateway
5. Mythical

Bonus Bonus

Aquatic

Orphan Words (August)

1. ration
2. shuttle

Bonus

1. astronaut
2. lunar

Orphan Words (September)

1. Flowery Days of Wonder by Keith Stuart The walls were not lined with flowery watercolours... LOC: pg. 240 READ: 10/31/19
2. hamster
3. retire
4. trot

Bonus

1. arcade
2. cuddly
3. elated
4. reign
5. rot

Bonus Bonus

1. vagabond

message 21: by Anabell (last edited Oct 24, 2019 01:29AM) (new)

Anabell | 32 comments 10/10 - 4/5- 1/1 + Orphans: 2/9

Reg
√ wise Hector 59% ''Wisely, he didn't bother to even look in Charlee's direction again.''

√ choke To Marry a Scottish Laird Page 201 ''The women on the stairs made an odd choking sound and appareantly fainted.''

√ loyal Abel Page 131 ''The noble and loyal friend he was to Noah…''

√ harm Surrender to the Highlander Page 8 ''Rory's warning that the journey might harm her unborn babes had kept her home.''

√ shock Hector 85%She wasn't sure if he was more shocked at that or hurt.

√ portrait Noah Page 53 ''lots and lots more dollies and old family portraits.''

√ feed Surrender to the Highlander Page 16 ''nothing but trouble and more mouths to feed.''

√ electric Hector Page 214 ''Something Santos sait hit him like an electric current.''

√ kitten To Marry a Scottish Laird Page 86 ''He felt weak as a kitten''

√ strange To Marry a Scottish Laird Page 309 '' So could this all be a strange coincidence.''

Bonus
√ director Abel Page 80 ''So that meeting we're having Friday night with the director of PR.''

√ fork Abel Page 18 ''Abel set the fork down.''

√ cocoon To Marry a Scottish LairdPage 39 ''relaxing into the cocoon his plaid offered.''

acoustic
√ moonbeam To Marry a Scottish Laird

bonus bonus
√ accuracy The Viscount Who Loved Me Page 114 ''If you were Edwina's brother'' Kate Said with deadly accuracy

Orphans

September
Regular
hamster

Bonus
arcade
√ reign To Marry a Scottish Laird Page 90 ''She'd been so responsive that he hadn't been able to reign himself in.

Bonus Bonus
vagabond

August
Bonus
astronaut
hoax
lunar

July
Bonus bonus
aquatic

BB
Holistic

March
Bonus
√ devotee How the Dukes Stole Christmas Page 370 ''You truly are a devotee of my coloumn.''

message 22: by Cyndee (last edited Sep 25, 2019 05:53AM) (new)

Cyndee (cyndeew) | 1699 comments OCTOBER 2019 WORD HUNT

REGULAR - 0/10
1. WISE:
2. CHOKE:
3. LOYAL:
4. HARM:
5. PORTRAIT:
6. SHOCK:
7. FEED:
8. ELECTRIC:
9. KITTEN:
10. STRANGE:

BONUS - 0/5
1. DIRECTOR:
2. FORK:
3. COCOON:
4. ACOUSTIC:
5. MOONBEAM:

BONUS BONUS - 0/1
1. ACCURACY:

ORPHANS - 0/

message 23: by Carly (last edited Nov 02, 2019 10:39PM) (new)

Carly (car88) | 65 comments OCTOBER 2019 - WORD HUNT
·Post 24 *FINISHED*

10/10
CHOKE - #2 (loc 628, 30%)
"And you said…" "You're the mate of the Dark One. You can do whatever the fuck you want." His irritated honesty started her enough that she started to laugh. The sound surprised her after the intensity of their interactions. She choked it back quickly, appalled she was able to find humor at such a time.
ELECTRIC - #3 (loc 2368, 75%)
"You're so close, Trygger. You've only got five more souls to go…and I have a good feeling about Chloe. I think she'll help you to track them down and find them quicker. She has a gift." Nodding, I placed my hand over hers, stilling her movement. A shook of electric zipped up my arm, but I kept my expression straight and my fingers soft on hers.
FEED - #1 (loc 1045, 28%)
"Martha and Jane," Astrid said in a calm voice that made my hair stand up and the Baby Demons freeze in midair. "Yes?" they answered in unison. "If you speak again, I will shove your heads up the Baby Demons' asses and feed them beans and Brussels sprouts for a year." They took the duct tape and quickly put large pieces over their own mouths.
HARM - #6 (loc 353, 18%)
Sophia resisted the urge to stamp her foot. She knew she shouldn't kiss him, or even want to, but, dammit, her libido kept going into overdrive every time he was near and a part of her wondered what harm a kiss - or two - would do. And therein lay the danger.
KITTEN - #4 (loc 2246, 78%)
She gives me a look like she's never seen me before. "I don't understand you. You lock me up but then you do this. And there's the sex." Amusement flickers through me, but I push it down deep. She may give the impression of a kitten staring at a grasshopper, but I know better. The woman has claws. I won't undermine her wavering self-confidence, and once I decide that, it's the easiest thing in the world to relax into this conversation.
LOYAL - #4 (loc 1851, 65%)
I almost roll my eyes, but manage to muscle down the reaction. Hades and Meg fuck other people, but the only loyalty they seem to hold is to each other. When it comes to the shit that matters, they are a unified front. I've never actually seen them play together in public, but if they aren't fucking behind closed doors, I'll be shocked.
PORTRAIT - #5 (loc 3500, 57%)
My gaze flicks back over to see Arion's happier eyes, and I note his hand is on the small of her back and not groping her ass. He looks so content there. So at peace. Emit's portrait is different. It's more…solemn. Almost like he was forced to pose in nice clothes, and he wanted the artist to capture his annoyance.
SHOCK - #5 (loc 3601, 59)
"Ariiiiiooooon!" Violet screams, before her voice fades into a shriek, the sound of her falling with her rapid descent. "Uh-oh," Arion deadpans before racing toward me, snapping out of his shock first. My fingers lace together just in time to catch his foot as he leaps at me, and I launch him straight up as hard as I can, while he kicks off so hard that it almost knocks my hands apart.
STRANGE - #4 (loc 1598, 76%)
"Fuck," he muttered. "That scares the shit out of me." "It shouldn't. I'm the only one in this mess who isn't out to hurt anyone else," she retorted. "It's strange, but I've learned from Darkyn not to be ashamed of my nature. He laughs at me for being unwilling to hurt anyone else, but he says no one should feel shame about who they are." "He's a living example of that," Gabriel remarked wryly. "Life lessons from a sociopathic demon lord. I never expected him to be capable of treating you well." "He does, in his own way."
WISE - #1 (loc 2547, 65%)
"I wanted to set the doucheheads straight, but amazingly I held my tongue. I decided finding out who spouted such bullshit was more important than shocking my brethren Angels with my creative use of language." "Very wise of you dear," the King said lovingly. "Damn right," she agreed. "It was all from that twatwaffle, Vlad." Pam confirmed what we had suspected-far more descriptively than any of us would have.

Bonus
3/5
ACOUSTIC - #1 (1039, 23%)
"Vamps can't puke," Martha reminded her and patted her on the back. "Can't fart either, but those fucking Baby Demons have some anal acoustics that could make you wanna tear your nose off your face." "Not to worry though…if you rip your honker off your head it grows back," Jane added. "I've ripped mine off twice hoping it would come back smaller. I'd swear on my dead ass Uncle Joe, the fucker came back bigger."
COCOON - #1 (loc 1288, 34%)
Jean Paul was slowing down, clearly affected by the frigid temperatures. I was barely able to make out the battle beyond as the Wraiths cocoon us in a deadly blood red haze of light. From a distance, they had looked like a swarm of bees. Up close was another story.
DIRECTOR
FORK - #4 (loc 2203, 77%)
"You know my favorite place." "I think we've established that my fascination with you has prodded me to learn all number of things." She picks up her fork and considers me. "You say fascination, but if I wasn't attracted to you, it would border on terrifying." Another long look at her plate. "I'm not sure it doesn't border on terrifying."
MOONBEAM - #5 (view spoiler)

Bonus-Bonus
0/1
ACCURACY

Carryovers
3/13
September
ELATED
LEMONADE
REIGN - #3 (loc 2648, 84%)
"Ah, what king? I might have known him." My words were truth, I had known many kings back in the day of ancient Scandinavia. Martin wouldn't know that of course, he would think I was a historian like himself. "Charles II." Martin's smug expression was surpassed by Jack's bored sigh. I remembered when the king had reigned in Denmark mainly. I had been fighting my own war by then. In fact, if I remembered correctly, I was in Francia.
August
HOAX
LUNAR
ORBIT
RATION
July
ASSIDUOUSLY
June
ACCOMPLICE - #3 (loc 919, 29%)
Rushing forward, I scooped her into my arms, forcing her to let go of Rusty. The dog automatically jumped in when I did. "Why did you do that?" Chloe complained. "To hurry you up and stop you from falling over again." The second man came through the hedge just as I pulled the end of the rope on-board. He stared down at his accomplice before seeing that we were in the boat.
MOHAWK
May
CALCULATOR - #1 (loc 2703, 69%)
"If you weren't such an infuriating blowhard asshole, I might actually like you. I usually adore cretins like you, but there's something wildly unappealing about you," Satan told him as he conjured a glass of wine out of thin air and took a calculated sip. "I'm a Fallen Angel, you imbecile."
LACKADAISICAL
PROPAGANDA

READ
Fashionably Hotter Than Hell (Hot Damned #6) by Robyn Peterman Darkyn's Mate (Rhyn Eternal, #3) by Lizzy Ford Thunder Hunter (Viking Soul #1) by Rachel Medhurst Desperate Measures (Wicked Villains, #1) by Katee Robert Gypsy Moon (All The Pretty Monsters, #4) by Kristy Cunning Broomstick Breakdown by Eve Langlais
(view spoiler)

message 24: by fleurette (last edited Oct 29, 2019 12:11PM) (new)

fleurette | 274 comments Word Hunt - October

wise - Mr. Kiss and Tell 6th Oct
(p.287) All right, wise guy, deflect away.
choke - Bad Judgment 6th Oct
(p.109) ...Embry thrust helplessly against him, making Brogan choke and pull back.
loyal - While the Light Lasts 7th Oct
(p.106) "Loyal Jane," said Everard smiling at her.
harm - Bad Judgment 6th Oct
(p.248) ...Mario’s test—while manipulative—hadn’t done any real harm.
shock - Night Watch 2nd Oct
(p.38) He wasn’t just surprised or frightened; he was in shock.
portrait - Mr. Kiss and Tell 6th Oct
(p.133) But my thesis work was all on portrait.
feed - Night Watch 2nd Oct
(p.33) Feed her and take care of her and everything will be fine.
electric - Mr. Kiss and Tell 6th Oct
(p.32) ...mic checks and tune-up chords from electric guitars set off ragged cheers.
kitten - Paradox 13th Oct
(p.80) I rescued her as a kitten, not even three pounds...
strange - Night Watch 2nd Oct
(p.3) Strange, but no one else seemed to notice the wind.

Bonus
director - Night Watch 2nd Oct
(p.45) A silent, black and white movie, an eerie, elegant director’s cut.
fork - Night Watch 2nd Oct
(p.53) ...I picked at my Olivier salad with a tiny plastic fork and sipped the hot coffee.
cocoon - Master and Commander 29th Oct
(p.332) ...where they let him out of the cocoon in which they had hoisted him aloft;
acoustic - White Night 16th Oct
(p.92) ...then picked up my old acoustic guitar and sat down on the sofa.
moonbeam
*accuracy - While the Light Lasts 7th Oct
(p.99) Isobel Loring moved amongst the guests, talking technique with unerring accuracy.

Carryovers
September/Bonus:
*vagabond - Thief of Dreams 14th Oct
"She took me for a vagabond or a footpad," William said, chuckling.

August/Bonus:
*celestial - The Diamond Age 8th Oct
(p.78) ...the Celestial Kingdom, or C.K., as they liked to call it...

Night Watch (Watch #1) by Sergei Lukyanenko Bad Judgment by Sidney Bell Mr. Kiss and Tell (Veronica Mars, #2) by Rob Thomas While the Light Lasts (Hercule Poirot, #45) by Agatha Christie The Diamond Age Or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer by Neal Stephenson Paradox (FBI Thriller #22) by Catherine Coulter Thief of Dreams by Mary Balogh White Night (The Dresden Files, #9) by Jim Butcher Master and Commander (Aubrey & Maturin, #1) by Patrick O'Brian

message 25: by Becky (last edited Oct 10, 2019 12:30PM) (new)

Becky (fibrobabe) | 1393 comments 15/16

wise Hoarfrost- page 71- "But you're right-- water would probably be wise after such a fright."
choke HeartOn- loc 1423- "Not trying to choke you." 10/5
loyal Maelstrom- page 182- "I am loyal to Widdershins." 10/4-10/5
harm Running With Lions- loc 1529- It was a mistake: no foul, no harm. 10/1-10/3
shock HeartOn- loc 831- "I mean, it's no Shock Waves, but--" 10/5
portrait Maelstrom- page 47- "A family portrait?" Christine asked. 10/4-10/5
feed Fallow- loc 979- "Perhaps feed the chickens?" I suggested. 10/6-10/7
electric Fallow- loc 229- Shortly before five o'clock, I left the house and strolled down Water Street to catch the electric trolley to the museum. 10/6-10/7
kitten Running With Lions- loc 1447- He tries to squirm away, mumbling, "Go screw yourself," but his expression is soft, like a feisty kitten coming down from a catnip high. 10/1-10/3
strange Maelstrom- page 14- It was always strange to see her in an elegant dress; she preferred far more practical skirts, and wore trousers in the field. 10/4-10/5

Bonus

director Hoarfrost- page 20- "Don't let the director hear you say that." 10/3-10/4
fork HeartOn- loc 626- "And I need you to call Graciela Suarez before she stabs me with a shrimp fork," she replied tartly. 10/5
cocoon Hoarfrost- page 144- As if it had been spun from some thick fibers, like a cocoon. 10/3-10/4
acoustic Running With Lions- loc 559- How many acoustic covers can one person download? 10/1-10/3
moonbeam

Bonus Bonus

accuracy Balefire- loc 2098- One of Iskander's knives whistled through the air with deadly accuracy. 10/9-10/10

message 26: by LaurLa (last edited Nov 01, 2019 06:00AM) (new)

LaurLa | 3264 comments October Word Hunt
October 2019

My Word Hunt (msg 27)

10 of 10 Words Found
6 of 6 Bonus Words
6 of 6 Books Read

October Words

Secrets of a Summer Night (Wallflowers, #1) by Lisa Kleypas Just My Luck (Escape to New Zealand, #5) by Rosalind James The Other Woman (Dundee, Idaho, #7) by Brenda Novak Tempting Her Best Friend (What Happens in Vegas, #1) by Gina L. Maxwell

wise ~ you’ll do the sensible thing… the wise thing (loc: 141.9)
🔹Secrets of a Summer Night ~ Lisa Kleypas ~ 10.02 ★★★★

choke ~ grab him by the throat and choke the words straight out of him. (loc: 244.9)
🔹Just My Luck ~ Rosalind James ~ 10.05 ★★★★

loyal ~ Nah. I’m the loyal sheepdog type, (loc: 542.7)

harm ~ No harm done. (loc: 269.9)

shock ~ It came as a complete shock. (loc: 13.7)
🔹The Other Woman ~ Brenda Novak ~ 10.06 ★★★★

portrait ~ hung with cheerful portraits of children and animals. (loc: 146.6)

feed ~ the diner, the feed store, the hardware store (loc: 68.3)

electric ~ When the whining of the electric battery didn’t warn people (loc: 239.8)
🔹Tempting Her Best Friend ~ Gina L. Maxwell ~ 10.24 ★★★

kitten ~ Now you look less hoochie and more sex kitten. (loc: 65.5)
🔹Tempting Her Best Friend ~ Gina L. Maxwell ~ 10.24 ★★★

strange ~ And the strange thing was, deep down she was happier (loc: 124.4)

Bonus/Bonus Bonus

Not a Hero (Sons of the Survivalist, #1) by Cherise Sinclair Hard Sell (21 Wall Street, #2) by Lauren Layne Secrets of a Summer Night (Wallflowers, #1) by Lisa Kleypas

director ~ the social director would be the perfect complement to the town’s leader. (loc: 426.9)
🔹Not a Hero ~ Cherise Sinclair ~ 10.29 ★★★★

fork ~ Still, I dutifully eat the eggs off her fork, (loc: 123.7)
🔹Hard Sell ~ Lauren Layne ~ 10.26 ★★★★

cocoon ~ Having emerged from her Chicago cocoon (loc: 400.0)

acoustic ~ As Bull went to fetch his acoustic guitar, (loc: 217.7)

moonbeam ~ The saleswoman had compared it to a moonbeam, (loc: 355.7)
🔹Hard Sell ~ Lauren Layne ~ 10.26 ★★★★

accuracy ~ The blunt accuracy of the observation (loc: 264.4)

message 27: by Chan (last edited Nov 01, 2019 02:41PM) (new)

Chan | 3318 comments October Word Hunt

October
wise - Cooper's Charm | Oct 1
Page 215: Even knowing it wasn't wise to need him

choke - Room for You | Oct 10
Page 62: I chocked on my drink

loyal - Cooper's Charm | Oct 1
Page 20: Loyal to the end

harm - Scorpius Rising | Oct 16
Page 150: You've never been a man who'd harm a woman

shock - Room for You | Oct 10
Page 22: before i could reel the shock back in

portrait - Hello Stranger | Oct 30
Page 317: Ethan instinctively backed away from the portrait

feed - Hello Stranger | Oct 30
Page 134: his smiles gave the impression of a feeding predator

electric - Ride Steady | Oct 23
Page 423: The air in the room went electric

kitten - Scorpius Rising | Oct 16
Page 264: the kitten's snoozing in David's study

strange - Hello Stranger | Oct 30
Page 210: A strange buzzing feeling

Bonus
director - Cooper's Charm | Oct 1
Page 40: I'm the scuba instructor and director

fork - Room for You | Oct 10
Page 137: salad fork, dinner fork

cocoon - Scorpius Rising | Oct 16
Page 227: steam rose around them in a cocoon of intimacy

acoustic
moonbeam

ROLLOVERS
Feb Bonus
acoustics

March bonus
ephemeral

April Bonus
degenerative
devotee
dolphins

July Bonus
assiduously

cadaver - Burn for You | Aug 6
Page 257: enthusiastic medical student with a fresh cadaver

August Bonus
astronaut - Burn for You | Aug 6
Page 50: enough technology on the dashboard to make an astronaut dizzy

crater
hoax
lunar

September Reg
flowery - Room for You | Oct 10
Page 136: Flowery ones

hamster

lightning - Cooper's Charm | Oct 1
Page 75: The lightning continued

retire - Cooper's Charm | Oct 1
Page 55: headed to florida to retire

sweater - Cooper's Charm | Oct 1
Page 45: Take off the sweater

trot - Scorpius Rising | Oct 16
Page 444: just in time to slow to a trot

Sept Bonus
cuddly - Room for You | Oct 10
Page 141: She's Cuddly

elated - Room for You | Oct 10
Page 268: elated that this horrible ordeal was going to turn out okay

reign - Scorpius Rising | Oct 16
Page 235: Zach's reign of terror

Room for You (Cranberry Inn, #1) by Beth Ehemann Cooper's Charm (Summer Resort, #1) by Lori Foster Scorpius Rising (The Scorpius Syndrome #0.5) by Rebecca Zanetti Burn for You (Slow Burn, #1) by J.T. Geissinger Hello Stranger (The Ravenels, #4) by Lisa Kleypas Ride Steady (Chaos, #3) by Kristen Ashley

message 28: by Emily (last edited Nov 13, 2019 08:54PM) (new)

Emily | 693 comments 0-3 words : better luck next time

October
wise (Loc865) are now set up for life, present-wise ...Forever Mine by Mary B Moore 10.1
choke (pg121) and tried to get each other in CHOKE holds. More Than Forever by Mary B. Moore 10.3
loyal (Loc933) He was outrageous, over the top, LOYAL , loving Forever Mine by Mary B Moore 10.1
harm (Loc827) there was no HARM in making a purchase.. Forever Mine by Mary B Moore 10.1
shock (pg113) staring at her in SHOCK... More Than Forever by Mary B. Moore 10.3
portrait
feed (pg236) off and FEED them to you rthrough your nostrils... More Than Forever by Mary B. Moore 10.3
electric (Loc599)her touch feels ELECTRIC …Frisked By You by Nikki Mays 10.9
kitten (Loc3370) liked a pissed off KITTEN..Frisked By You by Nikki Mays 10.9
strange(Loc368) would probbly see me kissing some STRANGE man..Sinners Are Winners by Lani Lynn Vale 10.8

Bonus

Unlike with the 10 words above - you must find the EXACT word to claim these bonus words, and I try to make them hard.

director (Loc178) I need to check in with the DIRECTOR of the center...Aiden by LeAnn Ashers 10.13
fork (Loc 511) pausing with my FORK midway to ..Sinners Are Winners by Lani Lynn Vale 10.8
cocoon (Loc 4133) JD rebuilt the protective COCOON...Taming Samantha by Jenny Penn 10.29
acoustic
moonbeam

and a bonus bonus
accuracy (Loc1582) my enflated ego with uncanny ACCURACY...Rebel Queen by Jeana E. Mann 10.22

message 29: by Wealie (last edited Nov 01, 2019 02:56AM) (new)

Wealie | 362 comments Word Hunt: October 2019 - Read: 09

Single words - Found: 10/10

01. Wise - Until You – Read: 01/09 – 2.5 🌟🌟🌟 – Page 51: “How’d you get so wise?”

02. Choke - Seducing Cinderella – Read: 06/10 – 2 🌟🌟 – Page 40: “When he realized he was in serious danger of sporting wood despite his convictions from the previous night, he put his sexual thoughts in a mental guillotine hold, hoping to choke the life out of them before they ruined the dry spell he needed to continue where Lucie was concerned.”

03. Loyal - Until You – Read: 01/09 – 2.5 🌟🌟🌟 – Page 06: “Tyler was loyal to the people who stood by him, and he was about to defend Britt until he saw she was teasing.”

04. Harm - The Golden Griffin’s Baby – Read: 03/10 – 3 🌟🌟🌟 – Loc. 2424: “There’s certainly nothing on there that could harm any of us.”

05. Shock - The Golden Griffin’s Baby – Read: 03/10 – 3 🌟🌟🌟 – Loc. 668: “Lila’s shock was starting to solidify into something like rage.”

06. Portrait - The Golden Griffin’s Baby – Read: 03/10 – 3 🌟🌟🌟 – Loc. 2424: “Honey, I think that’s the best family portrait I’ve ever seen.”

07. Feed - Seducing Cinderella – Read: 06/10 – 2 🌟🌟 – Page 140: “I forgot I was supposed to feed Remy, Mrs Egan’s ferret, because she’s…uh….visiting her sister.”

08. Electric - Until You – Read: 01/09 – 2.5 🌟🌟🌟 – Page 80: “Lanie fought to catch her breath as an electric spark jolted through her body, a blaze of want following in its wake.”

09. Kitten - Before Jamaica Lane – Read: 07/10 – 5 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 – Page 223: “With my head resting on my arms, I’d been staring at my headboard, my body so relaxed that I was almost purring like a kitten.”

10. Strange - The Midnight Dragon’s Mate – Read: 03/10 – 3 🌟🌟🌟 – Loc 206: “There are a log of strange things up here by Oak Ridge.”

Bonus - Found: 5/5

01. Director - Seducing Cinderella – Read: 06/10 – 2 🌟🌟 – Page 01: “Before she could order her heart to behave, it skipped a beat at the mellow-smooth voice of Dr. Stephen Mann, Director of Sports Medicine and major hottie at Northern Nevada Medical Center..”

02. Fork - The Midnight Dragon’s Mate – Read: 03/10 – 3 🌟🌟🌟 – Loc 1166: “Cautiously, she broke the lid with her fork, letting steam escape, and pulled together a bite of crust, chicken, and vegetables.”

27. Cocoon - The Midnight Dragon’s Mate – Read: 03/10 – 3 🌟🌟🌟 – Loc 1166: “Lachlan was so tall and broad, he seemed to completely surround her with his embrace, holding her in a warm cocoon.”

04. Acoustic - The Obsession – Read: 25/10 – 4 🌟🌟🌟🌟 – Page 185: “His dad had an old acoustic guitar, and I worked on it until I could more or less play it.”

05. Moonbeam - Managed – Read: 31/10 – 4 🌟🌟🌟🌟 – Page 67: “Tucked away at a corner table, the two women have their heads close together, Sophie’s white blonde hair like moonbeams besides the full flower of Jules’s tight fuchsia curls.”

Bonus, Bonus – Found : 1/1

01. Accuracy - Archangel’s War – Read: 12/10 – 5 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 – Loc. 1879: “I’m sure it’ll improve my accuracy one hundred percent.”

Outstanding Words - Found : 2/2

September Bonus, Bonus Word Word
01. Vagabond - Until You – Read: 01/09 – 2.5 🌟🌟🌟 – Page 29: “I’ve worried about you since you started this vagabond life.”

August Bonus Word
03. Hoax - Archangel’s Prophecy – Read: 11/10 – 5 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 – Loc. 3153: “Nevertheless, was it possible either Kumar or Lee had pulled off a hoax and was the murderer?”

Book covers
Until You (Bachelor Brotherhood #2) by Denise Grover Swank The Midnight Dragon's Mate (Shifter Dads, #2) by Zoe Chant The Golden Griffin's Baby (Shifter Dads #3) by Zoe Chant Seducing Cinderella (Fighting for Love, #1) by Gina L. Maxwell Before Jamaica Lane (On Dublin Street, #3) by Samantha Young Archangel's Prophecy (Guild Hunter, #11) by Nalini Singh Archangel's War (Guild Hunter #12) by Nalini Singh The Obsession by Nora Roberts Managed (VIP, #2) by Kristen Callihan

message 30: by Suzanne (last edited Oct 25, 2019 01:16PM) (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 2049 comments Romance Readers Reading Challenges
2019 October Word Hunt
Duration:
1 - 31 October 2019

Progress: 14 out of 10

This challenge is to see if you can find all the words listed below within your reading for the month. You do not need to preselect a level.

The maximum number of words for each book is THREE. There is no page limit.

October

Wise:
"But I'm not a nice man, and you'd be wise not to forget that.”
Losing Control by Nina Croft - *** - 10/1/2019 - 250 Pages
Shock: "Shock flashed across Jake's face, and Kim only just resisted punching the air."
Losing Control by Nina Croft - *** - 10/1/2019 - 250 Pages
Choke: "I almost choke." Page 129
Unearthly by Cynthia Hand - **** - 10/2/2019 - 435 Pages
Loyal: "I close my eyes, take in as much air as I can, given the corset, then lift my head and look out at the class like they are now my loyal subjects." Page 178
Harm: "“We won’t harm you,” I say in Angelic, trying to keep my voice low." Page 323
Feed: "A full-fledged caterer would be able to feed as many people as you want, but I max out at about twenty guests.”
Under the Table by Stephanie Evanovich - **** - 10/9/2019 - 336 Pages
Electric: "Once she broke free from the Midwest and Derek, she drove her twenty-year-old Chevrolet Cavalier through the Lincoln Tunnel into the electric, pulsating city."
Strange: "It’s strange, when he was in the army, he would be gone for months at a time."
Portrait: "“You're the portrait of compromise."
Beautiful Bitch by Christina Lauren - **** - 10/9/2019 - 160 Pages
Kitten: "Trust me, kitten. I know when a man wants to rip my head off.” Page 29
Kiss of Snow by Nalini Singh - **** - 10/21/2019 - 432 Pages

Bonus

Director: "Sara dillon had graduated from the same MBA pro- gram that I had, but had since left RMG to work for another firm. She was one of my best friends, and Ben- nett had offered her the director of Finance position in the new branch but she'd ..."
Beautiful Bitch by Christina Lauren - **** - 10/9/2019 - 160 Pages
Fork: "He sat there with his knife and fork, and a hardy steak that Louna had prepared just to his liking." Page 187
The Gaslight Dogs by Karin Lowachee - *** - 10/15/2019 - 368 Pages
Cocoon: "While the protective side of him wanted to cocoon her in safety, he was also the alpha of SnowDancer—cool, calculated, and willing to use any advantage to protect his pack." Page 121
Kiss of Snow by Nalini Singh - **** - 10/21/2019 - 432 Pages

acoustic
moonbeam

and a bonus bonus

Accuracy: "Sjennonirk.” He had waited to say her name aloud, but he said it with accuracy." Page 285
The Gaslight Dogs by Karin Lowachee - *** - 10/15/2019 - 368 Pages

Losing Control (Babysitting a Billionaire, #1) by Nina Croft Unearthly (Unearthly, #1) by Cynthia Hand Under the Table by Stephanie Evanovich Beautiful Bitch (Beautiful Bastard, #1.5) by Christina Lauren The Gaslight Dogs (Middle Light, #1) by Karin Lowachee Kiss of Snow (Psy-Changeling, #10) by Nalini Singh

message 31: by Georgina (new)

Georgina Parkin (geosbookblog) | 251 comments Finished on post 8

message 32: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19377 comments Congrats Georgina!!

message 33: by Rissa (new)

Rissa | 601 comments Where are the "moonbeam"?!?! All I'm finding are "moonbeams"!!!!

LOL

message 34: by Pam from Maine (new)

Pam from Maine | 377 comments Rissa wrote: "Where are the "moonbeam"?!?! All I'm finding are "moonbeams"!!!!

LOL"
There is never just one LOL

message 35: by Rissa (new)

Rissa | 601 comments Pam from Maine wrote: "Rissa wrote: "Where are the "moonbeam"?!?! All I'm finding are "moonbeams"!!!!

LOL" There is never just one LOL"

Right?!?!

I just need one! Haha!

message 36: by Rissa (new)

Rissa | 601 comments Finished! (I FOUND MOONBEAM!!!!)

See message 5! :)

message 37: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19377 comments Congrats Rissa!

message 38: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 173 comments 2019 October Word Hunt
Completed: 10/10
Bonus: 3/5

Books Used:
The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury Now You See Her, Now You Don't (Sabrina The Teenage Witch, #16) by Diana G. Gallagher Double Star by Robert A. Heinlein Johannes Cabal the Detective (Johannes Cabal, #2) by Jonathan L. Howard Gods of Jade and Shadow by Silvia Moreno-Garcia Less Than Angels by Barbara Pym Apartment in Athens by Glenway Wescott

wise
Apartment in Athens: p. 198: “Another likeable German! she thought. Now she had met two: the little wise gruff doctor who had come to see her after Helianos’ arrest and this old humorist……”

choke
The Halloween Tree: p. 18: “The high mountain peak of the mansion was littered with what looked like black bones or iron rods, and enough chimneys to choke out smoke signals from three dozen fires on sooty hearths hidden far below in the dim bowels of this monster place.”

loyal
Double Star: p. 45: “The Bonforte, I mean – the Right Honorable John Joseph Bonforte, former Prime Minister, leader of the loyal opposition, and head of the Expansionist coalition – the most loved (and the most hated!) man in the entire Solar System.”

harm
Apartment in Athens: p. 22: “By that time Athens was starving, there were beggars everywhere, some of them so hungry that they were like lunatics, but too weak to do any harm .”

shock
Double Star: p. 23: “I stayed where I was, almost as frozen by shock as the late Rrringgriil.”

portrait
Less Than Angels: p. 184: “The King Edward Rooms were full of childhood and adolescent memories for him. The large glowing head and shoulders portrait of the monarch had beamed down on him at children’s parties and at his first grown-up dance.”

feed
Now You See Her, Now You Don't: p. 12: “Reverse that spell this instant, Amanda, or I’ll feed you to the cat.”

electric
Gods of Jade and Shadow: p. 86: “His words were electric , charged like a cloud pregnant with rain.”

kitten
Now You See Her, Now You Don't: p. 98: “Reaching under the table, Sabrina pulled the kitten off her jeans and held him out to Hilda.”

strange
Gods of Jade and Shadow: p. 27: “For surely she would not get another chance to leave this village, and the sights he would show her must be strange and dazzling.”

Bonus

director

fork
Less Than Angels: p. 119: “It would be a cold meal, as it’s summer, a fork supper, and perhaps a wine cup of some kind.”

cocoon
The Halloween Tree: p. 59-60: “Spun up in a cocoon of threads, they hoped to come forth like lovely butterflies in some far dear loving world.”

acoustic
Johannes Cabal the Detective: p. 46: “There was an acoustic thudding through the public-announcement speakers in the lounge, and then the captain spoke to the passengers.”

moonbeam

and a bonus bonus
accuracy

September

flowery: Johannes Cabal the Detective: p. 273: “No triple imperatives, no flowery discursions, just Thou who hast entered here, know thy folly.”

hamster: Johannes Cabal the Detective: p. 61: “Herr Roborovski beamed, a happy hamster . His wife did not.”

message 39: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19377 comments Deedee wrote: "2019 October Word Hunt
Completed: 10/10
Bonus: 3/5

Books Used:
The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury Now You See Her, Now You Don't (Sabrina The Teenage Witch, #16) by Diana G. Gallagher Double Star by Robert A. Heinlein [bookcov..."

Congrats Deedee!!

message 40: by Wealie (new)

Wealie | 362 comments All finished (Message 30) by the skin of my teeth! I even managed to clear up my outstanding words :O)

Congrats everyone else that finished too x

message 41: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19377 comments Congrats Wealie!!

message 42: by Maritza (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 521 comments Well I found all the main words so I feel good about that.

message 43: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 3264 comments All done!!!
Original post: My Word Hunt (msg 27)

10 of 10 Words Found
6 of 6 Bonus Words
6 of 6 Books Read

message 44: by Calila (new)

Calila | 2744 comments Calila wrote: "14/16 + 4/10"

I had a good month!

message 45: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19377 comments Calila wrote: "Calila wrote: "14/16 + 4/10"

I had a good month!"

Congrats Calila!!

message 46: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 260 comments Finished on post #12 and carried forward 1 new orphan word + other orphan words still not found

message 47: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19377 comments JoAnne wrote: "Finished on post #12 and carried forward 1 new orphan word + other orphan words still not found"

Congrats JoAnne, and good luck on those orphan words!!