Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Featured Author Challenge > FAC: Nalini Singh and Sherry Thomas (October 2019)

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Oct 18, 2019 01:18PM) (new)

Fran | 11006 comments Welcome to the slightly revamped FAC Challenge!

As of February, we are showcasing TWO authors each month instead of one. Double the pleasure, double the fun!
-You do not need to read a book by both authors. Please feel free to choose either one or both authors.
-If you decide to read a book by both authors, please post your results in separate posts. It will be much easier for us to track, and everyone else to see how you felt about your reading choice.
-There will be two different sub-genres of Romance to choose from, with one author recognized as 'Queen of Romance' and the other as 'Princess of Romance' (she may be slightly less widely known than the Queen).

message 2: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Sep 20, 2019 07:46PM) (new)

Fran | 11006 comments Queen of Romance- Nalini Singh-

I've been writing as long as I can remember and all of my stories always held a thread of romance (even when I was writing about a prince who could shoot lasers out of his eyes). I love creating unique characters, love giving them happy endings and I even love the voices in my head. There's no other job I would rather be doing. In September 2002, when I got the call that Silhouette Desire wanted to buy my first book, Desert Warrior, it was a dream come true. I hope to continue living the dream until I keel over of old age on my keyboard.

I was born in Fiji and raised in New Zealand. I also spent three years living and working in Japan, during which time I took the chance to travel around Asia. I’m back in New Zealand now, but I’m always plotting new trips.

So far, I've worked as a lawyer, a librarian, a candy factory general hand, a bank temp and an English teacher and not necessarily in that order. Some might call that inconsistency but I call it grist for the writer's mill.

2019 accolades for Nalini Singh-
Wolf Rain chosen as one of the Best Romance Novels of 2019 by Oprah magazine

Archangel's War was one of Amazon’s Best Books of the Month in romance for September

New York Times & USA Today Bestseller lists 2019: Wolf Rain

Wolf Rain was an Amazon Best Book of the Month in Romance for June!

Nalini's GR page can be found here- Nalini Singh

message 3: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Sep 20, 2019 07:47PM) (new)

Fran | 11006 comments Princess of Romance-Sherry Thomas-

Because actual world domination is too much trouble, USA Today-bestselling author Sherry Thomas decided that her goal is life is to write every kind of book she enjoys reading. Thus far she has published romance, fantasy, mystery, and a wuxia-inspired duology. Her books regularly receive starred reviews and best-of-the-year honors from trade publications, including such outlets as the New York Times and National Public Radio. She is also a two-time winner of Romance Writers of America’s prestigious RITA® Award.

Sherry immigrated from China at age 13 and English is her second language.

Her upcoming release is The Art of Theft , book 4 of the gender-bending Lady Sherlock mystery series.

Sherry's GR page can be found here- Sherry Thomas

message 4: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Sep 20, 2019 07:49PM) (new)

Fran | 11006 comments b>Challenge Task: Read one book written by one or both of our featured authors.
Challenge Duration: The whole month of October.

To sign up:
Post your interest and the book(s) you are planning to read.

For each author, you must also signify if you are:
A - I'm a big fan! I'm excited to read another of her books.
B - Familiar with her work, and wouldn't mind reading her again.
C - Totally new to this author. Will see how I like it.
D - Didn't like the last one I've read, but willing to give it another chance.

To complete:
Post the date when you've completed your book(s).

You must also say if, after reading:
A - would definitely look at her other books, since I've enjoyed this one very much.
B - could take it or leave it. Was not an unpleasant experience but I'm not burning rubber to get to her other books.
C - Oh well, I tried. Definitely not my cup of tea.

A little review of the book read is welcomed but not required.

message 5: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11006 comments *

message 6: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11006 comments *

message 8: by CB (new)

CB (cb33) | 1042 comments I will sign up for this!

Nalini Singh
Planning to read:
Archangel's Prophecy (Guild Hunter, #11) by Nalini Singh Archangel's Prophecy

A - I'm a big fan! I'm excited to read another of her books.

message 9: by Saint Monique (new)

Saint Monique I'm C for Nalini Singh and will be reading Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini Singh

message 10: by Mamacita aka MawMaw (last edited Sep 22, 2019 08:21AM) (new)

Mamacita aka MawMaw  (mamawantsbedtimestory) | 766 comments Queen of Romance- Nalini Singh

I'm C also... Will prolly try Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini Singh or Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling #1) by Nalini Singh

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 140 comments I haven't taken part in this kind of challenge before, but I'll give it a go.

I'm going to read Nalini Singh since I don't own anything by Sherry Thomas.

I'm a huge fan of her Psy-Changeling series, have read up to book 2 in her Guild Hunter series (something got on my nerves, but I will give it another try), but nothing else.

I'm going to read Allegiance of Honor (Psy-Changeling #15) by Nalini Singh in September, which leaves me with Silver Silence (Psy-Changeling Trinity, #1; Psy-Changeling, #16) by Nalini Singh and Ocean Light (Psy-Changeling Trinity, #2; Psy-Changeling, #17) by Nalini Singh in October.

message 12: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 19730 comments I'm a Big A for Nalini Singh - I love her Psy-Changeling series! But I'm current, and since I haven't tried her Guild Hunter series I plan to read Angels' Blood in October.

I am a C for Sherry Thomas and I will give The Luckiest Lady in London a try inOctober.

message 13: by Saint Monique (new)

Saint Monique I DNFed Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini Singh so that's a C.

message 14: by CB (new)

CB (cb33) | 1042 comments Finished Archangel's Prophecy (Guild Hunter, #11) by Nalini Singh on 10/6, rated it 4.5 stars, so that would be an A for me.

message 15: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 2049 comments Finished Kiss of Snow (Psy-Changeling, #10) by Nalini Singh and gave it 4 stars! Started out as a B and ended up with an A

message 16: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 19730 comments I finished Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh and while I had some issues with it, I enjoyed it. And I hope to continue the series at some point too.

I started an A because I love her Psy-Changeling series and I end the same, for the same reason. This book didn't make me love her work more, but it didn't make me love it less either.

message 17: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 19730 comments I'm still waiting to start my Sherry Thomas book - it fits 3 of the themes for the PtP and NONE of them have been called yet! One last chance, but I will read it either way in the next week.

message 18: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 2049 comments I finished A Study in Scarlet Women (Lady Sherlock, #1) by Sherry Thomas and gave it 5 stars! My mother tried to read this book but she put it down before it got to the good part. I would recommend getting to at least chapter 12 before deciding whether you like it or not because it got really good after that! I started out a C and ended up an A!

.•*¨`*•✿ ✿•*¨`*•. Christine .•*¨`*•✿ ✿•*¨`*• | 481 comments FAC: Nalini Singh

I read the newest release in the Psy-Changeling series Wolf Rain (Psy-Changeling Trinity, #3; Psy-Changeling, #18) by Nalini Singh on 04/10/2019 (after re-reading all the previous ones in August/September). I started out an A and remained a big A. She is definitely one of my go to authors.

message 20: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 19730 comments I did finish The Luckiest Lady in London by Sherry Thomas on the last day of October! It was just ok for me. I never came to like the MCs - they were both secretive and dishonest. Top that with pretentious writing and I wasn't a fan. It wasn't a waste of time, but I don't think I will be reading more by the author.

I started a C and I end a C, not my cup of tea.