Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes > Beartown is a TRILOGY!!!!!!!

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments So I just learned that Beartown is a Trilogy!!!! I thought Us Against You ending finalized the story, but there is a third. Every place I looked up keeps referring to it as the Beartown Trilogy. No details on when the next books is coming.

message 2: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3030 comments Oh wow, I didn't know that!

Did you read Us Against You?
I haven't read it yet, so maybe some of us stragglers could get a buddy read going for the 2nd installment.

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I did read Us Against You. I read it in July of 2018. I am always happy to participate in a group discussion.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8146 comments Jason, does it have a name?

I may have to read the first two over again, just to truly enjoy the third. So exciting!

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Amy wrote: "Jason, does it have a name?

I may have to read the first two over again, just to truly enjoy the third. So exciting!"

Not that I'm aware of. I was looking up a fact about Beartown and found a reputable article that mentioned Beartown being a trilogy. However, I can't seem to find that article again. There are several posts and blog reviewers who refer to the "Beartown Trilogy"

I did just find this.

https://www.thebookseller.com/news/hb...

message 6: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 918 comments I can't find anything on this on his own website or his Swedish publisher. And Us Against You seemed very final (it might be, but nothing on Swedish language google search).

message 7: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Johanne wrote: "I can't find anything on this on his own website or his Swedish publisher. And Us Against You seemed very final (it might be, but nothing on Swedish language google search)."

Yeah, I am starting to doubt my exuberance. All over twitter it is also referred to as the Beartown Trilogy......Hmmmm

message 8: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments If you search on Twitter "Beartown Trilogy" you get these results.

https://twitter.com/search?q=beartown...

Many are sure that Beartown is a trilogy.

message 9: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 918 comments Maybe they don't know the term duology? :) Or we might have something to look forward to.

message 10: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 918 comments I just looked at those twitter results, they don't say it's a trilogy exactly (only one where they say Britt-Marie is the first book and this I strongly disagree with).

message 11: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 918 comments Hmmm but one can always hope :)

message 12: by Jason (last edited Sep 20, 2019 12:54PM) (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Johanne wrote: "I just looked at those twitter results, they don't say it's a trilogy exactly (only one where they say Britt-Marie is the first book and this I strongly disagree with)."

Yes, that one is incorrect.

I saw these.

"I've read all of his books and novellas. He's fast become one of my favorite authors. I can't wait for the third installment in the Beartown trilogy."

"It’s damn good! Also us against you by Fredrik Blackman - only if you read beartown first though. It’s meant to be a trilogy. I love his books!"

"The cover is deceiving but such an amazing read from a fantastic storyteller!! Rumor is that Beartown is the first in a trilogy."

"@Backmanland , the Benji fan club (our book club) is meeting tonight in Rhode Island, USA. We are obsessed with your writing and cannot wait for the third in the Beartown trilogy. When is it coming?"

"If you’re into fiction, I just read 2/3 books in a trilogy by Fredrik Backman: Beartown and Us Against You. Bout a small hockey town in a forest in Sweden. Wrecked me. Loved it."

message 13: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Maybe I'm wrong. Hopefully I'm not.

message 14: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 918 comments Oh yeah some of those Twitter users actually do. Well I am a librarian; please people, provide references!

message 15: by annapi (last edited Sep 21, 2019 10:57AM) (new)

annapi | 4849 comments There is this, but again there are no references: https://seattlebookmamablog.org/tag/b...

But then again, there is this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/bookseries/...

message 16: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Yes and the link I posted earlier in the thread shows his next book thats already been purchased by a publisher scheduled for 2020 is not a beartown book. I think false alarm

message 17: by Karin (last edited Sep 21, 2019 02:28PM) (new)

Karin | 6878 comments Wow. FWIW it says Björnstad Series here, so now we can all learn some Swedish! Björn, which is also a first name (think Björn Borg the tennis player for one) means bear in both Swedish and Norwegian, but not in Icelandic--yes in Icelandic, but I had to really search since so many translator things only translate that as a name.

message 18: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 918 comments Björnstad means Beartown. Stad = town. Bear is bjørn in Danish as well, same word our ø just looks different. And the name Bjørn/Björn means bear, cool name right?

message 19: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 918 comments Another cool name is Thorbjørn, meaning... you guessed it Thor (the asa god) and bear.

message 20: by Karin (last edited Sep 22, 2019 01:29PM) (new)

Karin | 6878 comments Johanne wrote: "Björnstad means Beartown. Stad = town. Bear is bjørn in Danish as well, same word our ø just looks different. And the name Bjørn/Björn means bear, cool name right?"

Well, yes, Beartown equals Björnstad, but you are correct, I should have pointed that out when I pointed out that Björn means bear I don't know anything about Danish phonics so didn't even touch on that :) My mother grew up bilingual in English and Icelandic and I know about it also being a Norwegian and Swedish name.

(Iceland also allows Björnólfur which is variant of an old Norse name that means bear-wolf. Like New Zealand and a few other countries, not all names are allowed.

Tangent for those who like this sort of information, in Iceland it is because of:

"In the case of Iceland, it's about meeting certain rules of grammar and gender, and saving the child from possible embarrassment. Sometimes, although not in every case, officials also insist that it must be possible to write the name in Icelandic." When you have a country that small with a language that old, I can see why you'd want to protect it. It is very similar to Norse from 1000 years ago in a number of ways.

BUT note that Iceland does allow gay marriage, etc. I don't know if there have been cases of people changing names when they are older in light of various things because I haven't followed this.