What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Mushrooms!

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 21 comments I'm looking for a book about mushrooms. I'm preferably looking for a popular science book, with maybe some pictures or photos. I'm not looking for a book about drugs/psychedelics. Mushrooming books or more accessible "hard science" books would also be alright, but preferably I'm looking for more of a general book about mushrooms than one specifically about identifying different kinds of mushrooms. They're just very cool and I don't know much about them. Thanks in advance!

message 2: by HannaClara (new)

HannaClara | 11 comments Andrea wrote: "I'm looking for a book about mushrooms. I'm preferably looking for a popular science book, with maybe some pictures or photos. I'm not looking for a book about drugs/psychedelics. Mushrooming books..."

"Mycelium running" by Paul Stammets maybe? I have not had the chance to read this one yet but I got really excited about it when I heard about it in another context. Paul Stammets is quite the mushroom enthusiast (and expert) :)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 3: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 238 comments You might like this list: https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/... on Popular Fungi Books!

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 21 comments Thanks both!

Mycelium running looks like a good suggestion. From the description it looks like it talks about a lot of interesting aspects of mushrooms.

And I hadn't seen that list - just the "Mushrooming" listopia (which, expectedly, is more about about the mushrooming hobby). This one looks like it's a lot more geared to my interests, thanks.

message 5: by Ergative (new)

Ergative Absolutive | 40 comments Holy cow--Paul Stamets is also the name of the engineer on Star Trek: Discovery who figures out how a universal mycelial network can be used for navigation and travel.

1. Did one of the writers read Mycelium running?
2. Does the real Paul Stamets know about his Trekian counterpart?