Old Books, New Readers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > October 2019 Book Nominations

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (last edited Sep 20, 2019 08:12AM) (new)

Ian | 256 comments Mod
Hi All

It is time for the nominations for October’s Book of the Month; the theme will be Really Old Books. The nominations should be for books written anytime in the 4500 years before 1600AD.

Here is a list of the previous books we have read in this group to make sure your nomination has not been a previous Book of the Month - After a quick glance, I think only the Shakespeare works we have done before would have been written prior to 1600:

https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

Rules
1. One book per person
2. Poll will be set up when we reach 6 valid nominations
3. Book should be written prior to 1600.
4. It would be great if you could share why you want to read this book!

Also keep in mind, for the purposes of this group, we consider a classic book to be at least 50 years old with literary acclaim, but for this month, the book should be at least 419 years old. 

Cheers,
Ian

message 2: by Sally (new)

Sally taylor (sallyjanet) the link doesn't work

message 3: by Sally (new)

Sally taylor (sallyjanet) I will nominate:
A Midsummer Night's Dream William Shakespeare
Written in 1595

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian | 256 comments Mod
Thanks Sally - The link has been fixed. It is still broken in the email I sent out, but I will not bother spamming everyone with a new email to fix the link.

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian | 256 comments Mod
Sally wrote: "I will nominate:
A Midsummer Night's Dream William Shakespeare
Written in 1595"

Thanks for the nomination!

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 219 comments I’d like to nominate The Odyssey

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul Manytravels (mountainhighonbooks) | 43 comments The Lives of Artists by Giorgio Vasari

message 8: by Ian (new)

Ian | 256 comments Mod
Michelle wrote: "I’d like to nominate The Odyssey"

Awesome! That will come in handy for the next time I try reading Ulysses. :-)

message 9: by Ian (new)

Ian | 256 comments Mod
Paul wrote: "The Lives of Artists by Giorgio Vasari"

Thanks for the nomination Paul! This looks very interesting - I am a bit Italian Renaissance enthusiast.

message 10: by Linda (new)

Linda Sendig Divine Comedy

message 11: by Jan (new)

Jan | 0 comments The Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio
I would like to nominate the Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio who wrote in the 14th Century.

Ten young nobles flee Florence to the countryside as the Black Death ravages the city. To entertain themselves they tell each other stories. There are 100 stories in the Decameron, and it is delightful as well as informative of the lives of people living in the 1300's.

message 12: by Angela (new)

Angela | 32 comments I nominate Canterbury Tales by Chaucer

message 13: by Ian (new)

Ian | 256 comments Mod
We now have six awesome book nominees! Thanks everyone - I will put up the poll within the next day.

message 14: by Abbie (new)

Abbie (flying_high) Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra; always wanted to read about the man who duelled windmills. XD

message 15: by tabascosauce (new)

tabascosauce (twicebakedsmallpotatoes) | 60 comments Mod
oohhh yes I've always wanted to read both Canterbury Tales and Don Quixote! Super excited about this month :D

message 16: by Jazzy (last edited Sep 27, 2019 05:26AM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 218 comments I've just re-read Don Quixote this year, so wouldn't want to read it again so soon, also re-read Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream not too long ago. Haven't read Canterbury Tales since I was a child. Will see how the poll goes, sad that the nominations end far too soon to get a word in.

message 17: by Ian (new)

Ian | 256 comments Mod
Don Quixote was published in 1605, but that probably would have been close enough, if it was one of the first six nominations.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.