Cincinnati Book Lovers discussion

Favorite Cincinnati book?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:48AM) (new)

Christen | 6 comments Hi everyone -

What is your favorite book about Cincinnati or where Cincinnati plays a major role?

I love the "I'll Cook When Pigs Fly" cookbook. It features lots of Cincinnati recipes. It's a really good gift for out of towners.

message 2: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:48AM) (new)

Diane (dianes) I like the Rachel Morgan Hollows series by Kim Harrison, which take place in Cincinnati, with northern Kentucky being the Hollows, where all the vampires, werewolves, ect. live.

message 3: by Christen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:48AM) (new)

Christen | 6 comments That sounds really interesting - I'll have to give it a try!

message 4: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

Lisa | 4 comments I'll have to read these since I live "in the hollows"

message 5: by fyc (new)

fyc (fvonne) | 2 comments I think Uncle Tom's Cabin would have to be a favorite. There is so much history behind that novel!

message 6: by Thom (new)

Thom Dunn | 6 comments Does anyone read the Kim Harrison series---I know, pixies and vampires and s---, but I think her books are a cut above. A solid science-fiction premise coupled with a wink and a nudge. Check her out.

message 7: by Thom (new)

Thom Dunn | 6 comments Perhaps a better question would be Is anyone at this site anymore ? I put up a post(or whatever) 2 days ago, but before that the latest message was posted 8/21/2008. Houston, Houston, do you read ?

message 8: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Darkchild (brooklyndarkchild) | 6 comments That's a good question Thom. Until you posted I forgot I was in this group. As an author based in Cincinnati I guess I was expecting to connect with fellow readers here in Cincinnati and to find out where the Literary Happenings were...
Well, happening.
That didn't pan out very well, but I still hold out hope that this group can be a catalyst for some serious literary events.
You say what?

message 9: by Thom (new)

Thom Dunn | 6 comments Alls I know is that Joseph Beth had some good book-signings. And we might all do well to check with the various colleges for action open to the public. I'm 68 and overweight (at least it rhymes) and don't dash out in the evenings quite so often as I used to. Let's keep in touch. I learned of Kim Harrison while doing the Never-Ending Book Quiz---been obsessed with that since March. There's a constant grumble that goes on about Twilight and vampires in general.....kindof a geezer v.kids thing. ......My Hindu shrink doesn't get vampires at all. I told her I thought it might be a European thing. Hmmm. No vampires in India? Bollywood ? Nada?

message 11: by Thom (new)

Thom Dunn | 6 comments Thanks, Beth, I just snapped up a copy of Cinti Riots for $2.80+ship....should be required reading !

message 12: by Kristyn (new)

Kristyn I agree . . . The Cinti Riots book wasn't my favorite book ever, but I think it was important to read it so that I was more knowledgeable about the events. . .

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Crosley: Two Brothers and a Business Empire That Transformed the Nation, I thought was a great read about a legendary Cincinnati family.

message 14: by Thom (new)

Thom Dunn | 6 comments Andy wrote: "Crosley: Two Brothers and a Business Empire That Transformed the Nation, I thought was a great read about a legendary Cincinnati family."

When I first came to Cincinnati in 1963, I got through the night listening to "An Evening at Crosley Square" on ...AM?...radio.

message 15: by Patricia (last edited Aug 26, 2012 08:05AM) (new)

Patricia Gligor (goodreadscompatriciagligor) | 16 comments Pam wrote: "Hi, I'm new too! I live in Cincinnati--once upon a time I lived in Westwood, Patricia--and the larger part of my memoir, Singing from Silence, is set in Cincinnati. Among other things, the book t..."

Hi! I live in Cincinnati and I'm a writer. I'm new to the group but I'd like to throw my novel into the hat. "Mixed Messages," the first in my Malone mystery series, takes place in Cincinnati where a serial killer is on the loose.
Patricia Gligor

message 16: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Gligor (goodreadscompatriciagligor) | 16 comments Seven days left to enter the giveaway for my mystery novel, "Mixed Messages," which, as I've mentioned, takes place in Cincinnati.

message 17: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Richards | 8 comments Hi, I'm new too! I live in Cincinnati--once upon a time I lived in Westwood, Patricia--and the larger part of my memoir, Singing from Silence, is set in Cincinnati. Among other things, the book tells the back story of several of Rich Mullins' well-known songs. I hope you have a chance to read it!

Pam RichardsSinging from Silence Rich Mullins: Love Beyond Fear

message 18: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Gligor (goodreadscompatriciagligor) | 16 comments Pam,
Nice to meet you! Best of luck with your book!

message 19: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Richards | 8 comments Thanks, Patricia!

I saw you posted a question someplace about why we are so intrigued with serial killers. Now I can't find where that post was! I'm really a klutz on Goodreads, just like in real life.

Anyway, to address your question . . . dare I say it? I think we thrill to the story of a serial killer because we want to know if we'd recognize one when we met him. Perhaps we particularly don't want to meet one in the mirror. It's no doubt a vast relief to realize this is a version of humanity we really can't relate to at all. We like to feel "better than" the worst of the worst. . . it's only human.

message 20: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Gligor (goodreadscompatriciagligor) | 16 comments Pam wrote: "Thanks, Patricia!

I saw you posted a question someplace about why we are so intrigued with serial killers. Now I can't find where that post was! I'm really a klutz on Goodreads, just like in rea..."

Thanks for your reply. I like the way your mind works! For me, the fascination is with "why" they kill. I'm doing a series of five posts starting the last Sunday in September. Here's the link to my blog, in case you're interested.
http://pat-writersforum.blogspot.com/

message 21: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Richards | 8 comments That makes sense to me, Patricia. Whenever I don't understand someone's behavior, I always start rooting around in my mind for alternate motivations--ones I'd never utilize myself, but that may resonate with that other person. From what I understand, the things that seem to motivate serial killers are pretty hard for the rest of us to relate to.

Patricia, if it's not too presuming too much to ask, how do you get inside the mind of a serial killer so you can write about him? Does leaving your mind that open to alternate motives make you feel a little creeped out? I really wanted to understand serial killers at one time; I've tried it. It's a wild ride.

message 22: by Thom (new)

Thom Dunn | 6 comments Jonathan Valin writes gritty/gory detective novels set in cincy/n. ky... and then there's Vas You Ever in Zinzinnati. Neither is outstanding, but they belong on the list.

QUESTION: Is there anything from back in the Losanteville days? And how about historical novels of Underground railroad doings pre-civil war, etc. Cincinnati Historical Society might be a source to check.

message 23: by Pamela (last edited Aug 26, 2012 09:25AM) (new)

Pamela Richards | 8 comments Thom wrote: "Jonathan Valin writes gritty/gory detective novels set in cincy/n. ky... and then there's Vas You Ever in Zinzinnati. Neither is outstanding, but they belong on the list.

QUESTION: Is there anyth..."

How about Beloved by Toni Morrison?Beloved

message 24: by Patricia (last edited Aug 26, 2012 09:27AM) (new)

Patricia Gligor (goodreadscompatriciagligor) | 16 comments Thom wrote: "Jonathan Valin writes gritty/gory detective novels set in cincy/n. ky... and then there's Vas You Ever in Zinzinnati. Neither is outstanding, but they belong on the list.

QUESTION: Is there anyth..."

Thom,
The Cincinnati Historical Society is an excellent research facility. I spent a lot of time there when I was doing research for my mystery novel, "Mixed Messages."

message 25: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Richards | 8 comments Hi, Thom

I've visited this friend's grave at Spring Grove (never met the man in life, obviously! I call him "Friend" because he and I are both Quakers):

Levi Coffin: Quaker Breaking Bonds of Slavery in Ohio and Indiana

Hope you enjoy!

Pam

message 26: by Patricia (last edited Nov 20, 2012 12:57PM) (new)

Patricia Gligor (goodreadscompatriciagligor) | 16 comments I'm going to throw my two Malone mysteries into the hat.
Mixed Messages and Unfinished Business Both novels take place on the west side of Cincinnati.