Reconstruction: America's Unfinished Revolution 1863-1877 Reconstruction discussion

ISO historic fiction on American Reconstruction

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin I am entertaining a current fascination with the historical period of American Reconstruction. Problem is, all of the books I find read like mandated texts. In other words, I do not find them enjoyable to read. Can anyone recommend a good book on the subject? One that is historically accurate yet is (close to) captivating?

I have no opinion on the book listed above as I have not bought it yet. But the site would not let me post a thread without listing a book so...

TIA.

Feliks The book by Eric J. Foner is superb and you really ought to at least give it a try. It's not a dull, dry textbook. Certain chapters are less lively than others, yes --in that case you could just skip them.

Anyway. Historical fiction. I (and others) can probably name some.

First, try some Robert Penn Warren --Pulitzer winner and former poet laureate of America. 'Band of Angels' is one title, there's sure to be others. He also wrote 'All the Kings's Men'.

Then, try some William Faulkner. His novels are daunting but he has many short stories set in the post-war South. That was his forte.

Harriet Arnow's 'The Dollmaker'.

Kate Chopin's 'The Awakening'

Theodore Dreiser's 'Sister Carrie'.

You can do a Goodreads search on 'southern authors' and find many more. Reynolds Price, Carson McCullers, Truman Capote...great names in Southern Literature. Ferrol Sams is a more recent one.

For the Civil War itself, try 'The Killer Angels' or 'Andersonville'. The former, is a short Pulitzer winner about Gettysburg; while the latter is a big, sumptuous epic of southern culture as the war ended and Northern prisoners-of-war were turned loose. That's my top pick for anyone interested in the South. Has everything: food, wardrobe, lingo, home life..

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin Thank you, Feliks! That is just the kind of informative response I was looking for.

Feliks Good on ye, ya poor wee article!

Stick wit me kid, I'll steer ye right :p