Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Last Wish (The Witcher, #0.5)
This topic is about The Last Wish
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Last Wish [Oct 2, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4417 comments Mod
The Last Wish - Andrzej Sapkowski
The Last Wish (The Witcher, #0.5) by Andrzej Sapkowski
October 2, 2019.
Requested by James.

message 2: by James (last edited Sep 24, 2019 04:01AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

James (aeos) Hi, my first book request, this collection of short stories is the first book in the Witcher series.

Leah | 9 comments I'm in! I starting to read Blood of Elves a few weeks ago and was 100 pages in before I realized I wasn't totally getting everything, did some research and realized that I should start with Last Wish first, haha.

50 pages in so far and really enjoying it.

message 4: by Timelord Iain (last edited Oct 16, 2019 03:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 14728 comments Was starting to worry that all these late BRs I was joining were going to be abandoned/skipped... this one at least has SOME comments...

Just started a little bit ago... finished the first story with the Stricken or whatever it's called... reminds me of the video game alot (I only played the first part of the first game a couple years ago... I don't tend to play many games where I need to pay attention to story, since I listen to books while I game)...

It's been alright so far... I see James didn't particularly care for it... pulling the book up, I was kinda surprised how many people on my friends list have read it and/or want to read it...

Reminds me quite a bit of the Drizzt/Dragonlance books I read last year, in structure...

James (aeos) I read this, took notes, then deleted my notes when I thought no one would comment... sorry. My expectations were a bit high seeing this described as a completely different take on traditional fantasy, and maybe it was when it was released, but grimdark has been popular for years and years now.

One thing to comment (though it didn't affect my rating) on is the books portrayal of women, which is definitely dated - I was reminded of The Stars My Destination, published in 1955, where the MC literally throws women around. A Question of Price spoiler: (view spoiler)

I really dislike plot armor, and in this book there was never any doubt that our guy would succeed. So I liked most the stories A Grain of Truth and The Edge of the World: (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14728 comments James wrote: "I read this, took notes, then deleted my notes when I thought no one would comment... sorry. My expectations were a bit high seeing this described as a completely different take on traditional fant..."

Never hurts to post comments, even if alone, in case someone comes along later... sometimes we reuse threads when a new 2 person BR crops up... gives us things to reply/comment on :)

Timelord Iain | 14728 comments James wrote: "I read this, took notes, then deleted my notes when I thought no one would comment... sorry. My expectations were a bit high seeing this described as a completely different take on traditional fant..."

Apparently, most of these stories were published alone before the first book came out, and this is an anthology of those stories and 1-2 more...

The general thing I like about the book, is how every situation is nothing like it's first portrayed when Geralt takes the job... usually the "monster" is better than the humans/others that feel in the right...

Leah | 9 comments I haven't quite finished it yet as I have been focusing on the Licanius Trilogy more than I anticipated but I do agree with a few of the comments you guys have had thus far. In particular the dated portrayal of women and how they are just "sprinkled" into the story as deemed convenient.

Thus far I feel as though the narrative style is very stunted. Now granted, this is probably because I am generally more of a door stop fantasy reader and prefer the Sanderson/Jordan/Tolkien approach of detail vomit. However, I feel the narrative is rather brisk and to the point in a way that almost excludes critical information. It is a style that works for this type of character and the mulitple fast-paced adventures, however there are times I wish it would dig into the lore or back story a bit more.