Play Book Tag discussion

Daisy Jones & The Six
This topic is about Daisy Jones & The Six
September 2019: Cultural > Daisy Jones & The Six | jenkins reid | 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Idit | 1028 comments Another random find just scrolling through 'what's new' in the library.
Not really random, because I did notice a lot of glowing reviews in PBT, but other than that - I really knew nothing about it.
And since (tying to Jason's topic) I never read blurbs or synopsis - I had no idea what it was about.

It is such a delightful read.
Few weeks ago I found it hard to explain what was lacking in The Friday Night Knitting Club. But this is it: Both books have a small ensemble of characters, and each character is taking a role in the group. But what I felt was very cliche in the knitting circle, really worked for me with Daisy J & the 6. Their thoughts were interesting, their bickering were entertaining, their weaknesses were touching.
They felt round and interesting and with distinct voice
Or it might be that rock legends have more scope for excitement that regular people like us... (That might partly be it. but I'm sure it could be done well)

For synopsis lovers who haven't read this book: The novel follows the making and breaking of a well regarded (fictional) rock band, from many points of view (the band members and friends, journalists, management, etc). Stories clash, truths revealed, things admitted.

I found it funny, and fascinating and touching.
Here are some complaints (and a compliment) though: (view spoiler)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Grrat review. Loved the book. In a time where its hard to be original, a fiction oral history is original and it works.

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2184 comments I'll be reviewing this shortly so I'm just scanning your review so I won't be influenced. Lets just say, I loved it too!

Susie | 4488 comments It was such a great audio experience. I loved it too!

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2184 comments Idit wrote: "Another random find just scrolling through 'what's new' in the library.
Not really random, because I did notice a lot of glowing reviews in PBT, but other than that - I really knew nothing about it..."

I completely agree about the interviewer!