Year-long NaNo discussion

Merie Shen > The Art of Skating Fire

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 626 comments So! This is my planned 2019 NaNoWriMo project. It's something totally new-- an ownvoices contemporary novel about a Chinese-Korean girl whose parents work in ministry in Beijing (because believe it or not, I'm not the only person who has a life like this. REP) I've got the basic brainstorming down and will begin real outlining soon, though I won't begin drafting until Andromeda is finished. :D Details to come!

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Whooo hoo!!! *gets excited*

Wait, did you say first Andromeda must be finished?? Does that mean beta or alpha readers can tear through it? *gets even more excited*

message 3: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 626 comments :DDD

I have this plan laid out for when critiquers can get their hands on A. I won't be touching it in November, thanks to this beauty, but I'm going to do some self-editing before letting my friends/family read it. You can probably see it in March? Maybe? If everything works out?

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments THEN I WANT TO BE APART OF THAT CRITIC TEAM!! *begs*

message 5: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 626 comments Lol okay no problem! I should start assembling one right now to prep for March. :D

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments YESS!! *dances around the room* I'm so happy, so very, very happy.

message 7: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 626 comments AAAAGHHHHHH IT'S TOMORROW AND I'M FREAKING OUT I'm not even decently prepared okay I have a half-baked outline and I'm low-key panicking. SOMEBODY SEND HELP

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments WHAT DO YOU NEED??! I AM HERE!

Let's talk the outline if you need...I can help with ideas or info!!

HELP IS HERE MERIE

message 9: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 626 comments WELL TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF NANO AND I HAVE THE BEGINNING ALL PLANNED OUT AND READY TO GO BUT

i'm still panicking bc school

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments School. I know! Gah....

What's missing in your plot line?

message 11: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 626 comments um

like everything

jk

only the big points. such as the midpoint, the third plot point, and the climax. :D

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments haha

welp. Do you need scene inspiration and stuff?

message 13: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 626 comments kinda? more like, I have no idea what's gonna happen to my protagonist in those points, which means I'll basically have like no story without them.

message 14: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments oh boy. *grimaces*

message 15: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 626 comments so far so good though! I won't reach my word count quota for the day tonight, but tomorrow is Saturday so I'll have extra time.

message 16: by Oceane (new)

Oceane McAllister (therealqueenofnarnia) | 592 comments Ooo, a contemporary! Also, I get the stress of NaNoWriMo *grimaces* You totally got this!

message 17: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 626 comments thanks!

message 18: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 626 comments snippet...

Around this time Mercie started questioning everything. “Where did Liv go?”

Percy paused midsentence, frowning. “Well…”

“She flew off to get help,” Ezra suggested.

“Boron Lantsov doesn’t need help,” Nick snorted. “They’re just eating dinner.”

“Liv is eating dinner with them,” Percy said.

“She’s a unicorn,” Mercie said. “Why would unicorns eat meat?” She wrinkled her nose in distaste.

“Liv is a savage unicorn,” Percy explained, then returned to his story.

message 19: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Whoa, Merie. A Savage Unicorn?!!

message 20: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 626 comments duh, Hannah. UNICORNS ARE ALL SAVAGE, didn't you know?

it's a fact

message 21: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments Merie wrote: "snippet...

Around this time Mercie started questioning everything. “Where did Liv go?”

Percy paused midsentence, frowning. “Well…”

“She flew off to get help,” Ezra suggested.

“Boron Lantsov ..."

Ohh! A savage unicorn! XD

message 22: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 626 comments lol unicorns originally are quite savage, according to their actual mythical/folkloric roles. they were super dangerous, at the very least. nothing like the unicorns we see portrayed today. *cough*

message 23: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments Merie wrote: "lol unicorns originally are quite savage, according to their actual mythical/folkloric roles. they were super dangerous, at the very least. nothing like the unicorns we see portrayed today. *cough*"

I know, I don't even know how people came up with the friendly pick unicorns. The savage ones are way cooler. Like, why can't there be more movies with savage unicorns? I can't remember when I have heard about the actual unicorns, but they like eat people and stuff like that if I remember correctly. XD

message 24: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 626 comments lol basically. the unicorns in Andromeda are savage... but mostly because the elves tolerate that. heheh.

message 25: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments I think I heard about that . . . . somewhere..... xD

BUT SAVAGE UNICORNS + ELVES???!!! YAS PLZ.

message 26: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 626 comments Now, now, Hannah. Are we writing Andromeda or TAoSF this month, hmm?

"We're doing a project?" James leaned against the headrest, looking mildly surprised.

"Well, you've got to be running around all of Beijing's biggest tourist sites for a reason."

"I thought that reason was to be tourists," Elizabeth said.

"You
live in Beijing. We're gonna be tour guides on a mission," said Paul. "Well actually, you guys are. I'm not doing anything."

"We have to work," said James, despairing.

Paul raised a finger to his lips. "Shh, no complaining. Remember last week's lesson?"

He works with teenagers. Of course his favorite lesson to teach about is contentment.

message 27: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments WE? YOU SHOULD BE WRITING ANDROMEDA THIS MONTH MERIE.

*Is not impressed*

Paul......xD

message 28: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 626 comments *shrug* WELL I'M NOT. I NEEDED A WELL-DESERVED BREAK, AND ALSO THERE'S THE SAGA TO KEEP ME DISTRACTED.

xD

message 29: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments NO. I AM NOT HAPPY ABOUT THIS DISTRACTION. WHY WOULD YOU GIVE YOURSELF DISTRACTIONS???!!!

message 30: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 626 comments I DON'T KNOW, WHO FIRST ASKED IVAN IF HE HAS A GIRL?

message 31: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments THAT'S NOT IMPORTANT!

message 32: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 626 comments :D

message 33: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 626 comments Hey y'all... guess what?

I just decided I'm not doing NaNo this year.

I love this story and I want to write it someday, but today is not that day. Meanwhile, God's put it on my heart to finish the stories that really, truly want to be told first.

Yes, Hannah, that does mean I'm going back to finish Andromeda. I hope you're happy, lol. I just can't start this new story without the closure of the first one being finished, but more than that, I'm not in the right place to write it right now (how's that for a tongue-twister?). So for November, I'm going to focus on A and prepare my next adventure-- my next project is one I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT I literally squeal about it irl, which never happens, and I actually already have the plot outlined. *facepalm* SO you can see my November is going to be quite restful.

And guys, that means you might get to see Andromeda much sooner than we'd hoped...

message 34: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments YAS I AM SO HAPPY

message 35: by Oceane (new)

Oceane McAllister (therealqueenofnarnia) | 592 comments It's totally cool that you're not doing NaNo this year, Merie. I hope Andromeda continues to come along nicely! And I understand the excitement of new story ideas... *sighs*

message 36: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 457 comments It's totally okay that you're not writing this book for NaNo, but I'm excited for Andromeda!