CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2019 > w/o September 20 to 26, 2019

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 4240 comments Mod
Good morning readers!

It has been a sad week for Margaret Atwood with the loss of her beloved husband, Graeme Gibson. Have you read any of his books, have you dug into the Testaments yet? It is hard to imagine the emotions she must be experiencing with her exciting book launch followed by loss. Our hearts go out to Atwood and her family.

As September marches among, leaves are starting to turn and it is a time to enjoy beautiful days and cooler nights... with a book! What are you reading? What is next?

message 2: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited Sep 20, 2019 05:45AM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2038 comments After a summer of leisure, I'm back to work on Monday. July and August were fantastic, but I've been ready to return ever since the kids went back to school a few weeks ago. And I've missed audiobooks so much, since my primary time for listening is on the commute to the office.

I was saddened to hear of Graeme Gibson's passing and I keep thinking of Margaret Atwood and the unfortunate timing in her life. Sometimes I feel like I know her personally (I wish). I devoured The Testaments last week.

This week I read The Bishop's Man, which fills the bingo square for a past Giller winner. The subject matter was quite heavy, so I've now moved on to something lighter - My Lady Jane.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan | 928 comments Happy Friday!

This week I read The Testaments, which I enjoyed very much. No spoilers from me, so that's all I'll say for now. I was very sad to hear about Graeme Gibson's death - my husband blurted out the news while I was cooking dinner the other night. He assumed I already knew, but I did not, and I burst into tears.

I'm currently reading The Nickel Boys. I went to an author event for this book a few months ago, then threw it on the TBR pile because I was worried about it being too depressing. It showed up on the shortlist for the Kirkus Prize this week and now has also been longlisted for the National Book Award, so I'm glad I decided I was in the right mood for it after finishing The Testaments. It is very, very good so far but the subject matter is rough.

This is my favourite time of the year for reading, now that the Booker, Giller, and National Book Award lists are out. So many good books to catch up on!

message 4: by Wanda (last edited Sep 20, 2019 08:22AM) (new)

Wanda | 598 comments I have been working my way through a re-read of The Handmaid's Tale, which at this point feels like a new read as I have minimal recollection to the story (I was 16 when I read it). I avoided watching the TV series as I intended to go back and read this someday. I am eager to get through it so that I can read The Testaments. I was unaware of the Atwood's personal life, sorry to see that she has had a significant loss.

A book that arrived from the library that I am also wanting to jump into is Lampedusa. I have yet to read By Gaslight have had this book for several years now.

I finished Immigrant City, interesting short stories.

Happy Friday everyone- may your weekend include some comfort by reading.

message 5: by Rainey (last edited Sep 20, 2019 08:28AM) (new)

Rainey | 830 comments Well Thank you to my Secret Sender - I just received The Gargoyle. I dont believe I have read anything from this author before - it looks very interesting.

My reading to date has been seriously interesting - not so Literary - Motorcycle Romance and more romance. Its what's getting me through the days.

August was the 2nd year anniversary of the death of my hubby, anniversary of the death of my mother + plus my father-in law died.

September we just had my father - in laws burial and memorial, my what would have been 29 year Wedding Anniversary - now just had a Hurricane - Humberto (no power and probably wont have it till next week) - why because we have another bloody hurricane coming Tuesday - Jerry - ugh

Hopefully reading will get more Literary :-)

message 6: by CynthiaA (new)

CynthiaA (bookthia) | 121 comments Hi Friends!

Rainey, you're having a tough go right now, I'm sorry hurricanes are making your days even more challenging. Sometimes a good romance novel is a perfect antidote for days like that. Thinking of you.

I was saddened to hear about Graeme Gibson. As a amateur birder myself, I knew his name through those interests and remember a few years ago realizing he was the SAME Graeme Gibson as was with Margaret Atwood. And being all surprised. I've actually heard him speak before. He was a fascinating, wonderful, earth-loving man. I'm so sad for her.

This week I finished Frankissstein: A Love Story and I highly recommend it. Winterson is a literary writer, and you have to be aware that there are many levels beyond the narrative going on in her stories. This one is billed as a "modern retelling" of Frankenstein, except that it is so much more. It's brilliant and I loved it and I think I will actually read it again at some point. Now that I know some of the "levels" I can re-read and see how she works it all in. For the record, I won this book as an ARC from the publisher, through Goodreads, so YAY for that because it was really good.

Happy last weekend of summer...

message 7: by Story (last edited Sep 20, 2019 12:04PM) (new)

Story (storyheart) Hello to all. I too was sad to hear of Graeme Gibson's death. I enjoyed his books about birds and animals.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ I'm so impressed you were ready to return to work! Not too many people say that after they take a leave.

Rainey, stay safe!

Cynthia, glad to hear you enjoyed Frankissstien. I often enjoy Winterson's books but have been waffling a bit on this one.

Over the last two weeks, I finished and loved Joan Barfoot's Duet for Three, finished and was a little underwhelmed by Camilla Gibbs Sweetness in the Belly. I was bored stiff by Honestly, We Meant Well and found Ann Cleeve's The Mill On The Shore just okay.

Right now I'm liking a Belgian book in translation Madame Verona Comes Down the Hill and mostly enjoying a book of criticism about the "My Brilliant Friend" quartet The Ferrante Letters: An Experiment in Collective Criticism.

I'm listening to By Gaslight.

Happy weekend to all.

message 8: by Mj (new)

Mj | 1188 comments Sorry to hear about your numerous family passings @ Rainey. Must be tough to have so many sad memories happen so close together. Be safe with all the hurricanes in Bermuda.

Like many others, I also feel for Margaret Atwood. No time is ever a great time for leaving this earth but losing a spouse and someone who seems to be her soul mate in the midst of all her new book’s introduction with its touring, celebrations and awards must be especially difficult. It will likely be a constant reminder to Atwood of her future inability to share her feelings and success with Graeme as readily as she did in the past. I have not read any of his books yet but will be looking into some as I do enjoy books about the natural world.

This week I finalized The Dog Who Danced - a feel good dog story by Susan Wilson that I enjoyed. Wilson is a U.S. author who’s book One Good Dog I enjoyed even more a few years ago.

Finished A Mind Spread Out on the Ground for Bingo and personal interest. I highly recommend this non-fiction collection of essays that deal with social justice issues such as poverty, racism and mental illness. Alicia Elliott, an Indigenous author, grappled with all these issues growing up. Her understanding and explanations seemed so on point. She’s one smart lady and excellent writer to
watch for. She's already been recognized for a Canadian emerging writer award.

Also finished The Silent Wife by A.S.A. Harrison. It is both her debut fiction and
final book - a psychological thriller. I’m using it for the final book
written Bingo square. She was 65 years of age when the book was published in 2013 - the same year she died. It was the chosen book for an in person book club that most everyone enjoyed. It’s basically a his and her perspective from a couple involved in a 20 year dysfunctional relationship. Lots of psychotherapy insight and the writing is good. It’s compelling and full of intrigue. Susan (the S in A.S.A.) worked in Canadian book editing and publishing for years.

Enjoy the weekend everyone. Keep safe from the storms.

message 9: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 989 comments @Rainey, my thoughts are with you and Theo!! Stay Safe!

Last week I finished The Clay Girl. It was just meh for me. I am beginning to resent books with children being abused, women who should not be mothers and always falling for womanizers and abusers. It just didn't do anything for me.
I am also reading The Testaments, which I am loving! My thoughts are with Margaret Atwood. She appears to be ok as she made an appearance on the talk show The Talk this morning to promote her book.
Have a great weekend!

message 10: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Rainey - hugs to you!!! Stay safe and hunker down with a book!

Hectic week here so minimal reading. I am just about done a 3rd read of The Handmaid's Tale before I start The Testaments for book club this October.

I got a copy of The Wake: The Deadly Legacy of a Newfoundland Tsunami which i am looking forward to so that i can learn some more unknown Canadian history. he is coming to the Grimsby Author Series this fall which will be nice.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 308 comments @Rainey stay safe. We’re thinking of you up here in the North.

This last week I read Maid by Stephanie Land. Quite an honest voice on the hardships of being a single mother and working as a maid. While it was inspirational with a hopeful ending it was also coloured darkly throughout and I felt that hardship every time I put the book down.

Art Matters by Neil Gaiman was fabulous on audio and am now making my kids listen to it in the car. I may end up purchasing the book and finish reading it to them as my loan is due back soon.

Hiroshima: Memories of a Survivor is written by Sachi Rummel. My mother in law knows the children of Sachi and was given this book as a gift. I used this one in my Autobiolgraphy square.

message 12: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 830 comments Thank you everyone. No fatalities. of 28K that were without power only 3k left now to get it back.

No damage to my property thank heavens. Got my power back yesterday.

Most damage to island was to foliage, boat's that broke their moorings and to Hamilton Princess that had some roof damage and the Reefs hotel.

No we prep for Jerry. :-(

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisafriel) | 234 comments Stay safe Rainey!

message 14: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Susan - i can't seem to PM you, can you please try to PM your bingo square to me? thanks!!