Play Book Tag discussion

September 2019: Cultural > What the Wind Knows, by Amy Harmon, 5 stars and hearts

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ (last edited Sep 19, 2019 11:09PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4887 comments What the Wind Knows by Amy Harmon. 5 stars and hearts.

I've had a wonderful year with great Irish writers and Irish stories (plus some beautiful Irish accents). This book is no exception. It's the kind of historical fiction I like, with a great story that brings a little history to life. It's about a woman born in America, who travels to Ireland to scatter her grandfather's ashes in a lake he loved. She mysteriously travels back in time and is mistaken for her own great grandmother who was missing and presumed dead following an uprising in 1916. She is saved by a doctor who is tied to the fight for independence, and she eventually meets Michael Collins himself. She also meets her grandfather as a young boy.

The writing is beautiful and lyrical, and the audio narration is well suited to the story with lovely Irish accents. Each chapter begins with a line or more of poetry by W.B. Yeats, and it fits in perfectly with the story. (I don't read books of poetry, but if I wanted to try, I think I'd start with Yeats.) The book includes some romance and a bit of magic, along with the historical action and setting. This author writes in a few different genres, and I recommend checking her out.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8149 comments Outlander-esque?

message 3: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4887 comments Amy wrote: "Outlander-esque?"

Amy, I really think this is your kind of book! The author also wrote From Sand and Ash.

It's not an Outlander rip off (there are plenty of those with hunky guys in plaid on the cover), but it does have many elements Outlander fans might like. Unlike Outlander books, there is no sexual violence, and it doesn't go on for 800 pages.

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7108 comments NancyJ wrote: "Amy wrote: "Outlander-esque?"

Amy, I really think this is your kind of book! The author also wrote From Sand and Ash.

It's not an Outlander rip off (there are plenty of those with hunky guys in p..."

Well I have added based on that! Thanks-Sand and Ash is on ,my TBR too

message 5: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5305 comments Amy and I have Sand and Ash on our Trim list, so I know that she hasn't read it.

Three more months for it to be chosen.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8149 comments BnB... there are a hunk of us who want to spend the next two years finishing out Trim. I vote next year it’s 24, and the final tear 12. One way or another, I see us still reading that book together.

message 7: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4887 comments I was thinking about that. I really want to finish my list, or at least read 12 more next year. Lately it seems that our trim lists might be influencing our tag votes more than was intended. If they adjusted the challenge to take away the bonus points for matching the monthly tag that might help. Perhaps in return we'd have more flexibility - such as a choice of two trim numbers to select from. Or make it a year long challenge (to fit in where we choose) with an extra bonus at the end of year for reading the entire list (or 12 books)?

message 8: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5305 comments Truthfully, I have loved the Trim and Horizons challenge this year and would gladly extend.

My guess is we will have some other interesting challenges which we want to be part of and I can only do so many.

If nothing else comes up, I am in for both.

Regardless, I will put Sand and Ash on my list to read early in 2020 that way I won't feel bad about reading What the Wind Knows.

message 9: by NancyJ (last edited Sep 21, 2019 10:27PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4887 comments Booknblues wrote: "Truthfully, I have loved the Trim and Horizons challenge this year and would gladly extend.

My guess is we will have some other interesting challenges which we want to be part of and I can only do..."

I would too. I think it would be a great habit to read about a different culture/country every month. I can also see myself getting exciting about something completely new.

If we don't continue the trim challenge next year, wouldn't it be great if someone nominated a "trim the tbr" tag one month (in December or January) so we could focus on reading some of the books we've been waiting to read?

message 10: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7108 comments NancyJ wrote: "Booknblues wrote: "Truthfully, I have loved the Trim and Horizons challenge this year and would gladly extend.

My guess is we will have some other interesting challenges which we want to be part o..."

I think this was talked about this earlier in the year-and if we are going to do it, it is going to be an "add-on" for only those who want to do it-ie: not involving Admin at all, meaning no points. Which is fine with me-I hardly pay attention to the points. Either way, I am in!