Play Book Tag discussion

The Handmaid's Tale (The Handmaid's Tale, #1)
This topic is about The Handmaid's Tale
September 2019: Cultural > The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood, 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ (last edited Sep 19, 2019 10:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4887 comments Two reviews in one:
The Handmaid's Tale
The Handmaid's Tale: The Graphic Novel

I reread the Handmaid's Tale this month, and I enjoyed the writing much more this time. I loved the movie when I saw it many years ago, but I didn't love the book when I listened to it on a car trip. I gave it three stars then. I gave it a more focused read this time and I highlighted phrases I liked, or wanted to remember. I picked up many details that I missed last time, regarding how the whole thing got started. It helped to explain how some of the cultural values changed so much in less than a generation. Some of my highlights are on my profile if anyone wants to see them. I raised my rating to 3.5 stars, rounded up to 4.

I won't say anything about the story since it's so well known.

I also read the Graphic novel at the same time. I thought the author did a great job selecting the best content to include. The artwork was attractive and well done. It had clean lines and colors (mostly red!), not the wild swirls and comic book faces I've seen elsewhere. It seemed appropriate to the book and to a female audience. (There were no female characters with DDD cups.) I recommend it for someone who wants a quick read of the basic story.

I'm now ready to read The Testaments, and to watch the TV show without any confusion about what was in the original book. I am enjoying the TV show quite a bit, along with the rest of my family. They updated some details and they added a lot more to the story. I like the direction it's taking. They seem to have the freedom to take it where they want it to go (the author asked them not to kill off Aunt Lydia due to her role in The Testaments).

Susie | 4488 comments I didn't know that about Aunt Lydia. Thanks for that piece of goss!