Our Shared Shelf discussion

Intersectional Feminism > Criminal Code bill in Indonesia : harmful to women, minorities, free speech

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aya (new)

Aya Prita (ayakkumii) Greetings Our Shared Shelf! Hello, I'm Aya and I'm from Surabaya, Indonesia. This is my first new discussion topic and I hope everyone will join and share their thoughts and opinion about this.

Recently (Thursday 19/9/2019), The House of Representatives is set to pass a new criminal code that could outlaw living together outside marriage, extramarital sex and insulting the president, among a raft of changes that rights groups have decried as disastrous. I quoted from The Guardian's article here:

In the world’s most populous Muslim nation, among one of the most controversial inclusions in the draft penal code was the article on adultery, which could see extramarital sex punishable by up to one year in prison.

As well as criminalising adultery and sex workers, in a country where LGBT people face persecution and rampant discrimination, critics believe the article would in effect criminalise all same-sex conduct.

A separate article states that couples living together outside marriage could be sentenced to six months in prison, an offence that can be reported by a village head, while another specifies that only health professionals and “competent volunteers” can discuss contraception and family planning....

Subsequent articles state that only doctors have the right to decide on abortions. Under the draft law, a woman who has unlawfully terminated her pregnancy could face four years in prison.

Indicative of Indonesia’s increasing religious conservatism, the new draft further recognises any “living law”, which could be interpreted to include local sharia or customary laws at the local level, of which there are hundreds across the country that discriminate against women, LGBT people and religious minorities.

The new code also looks set to rollback Indonesia’s notable press freedoms by making it a criminal offence to insult the president and vice president.

A lot of protests by university students have been occured everywhere, petitions, even I went to the street for protesting yet it seems it won't budge The House of Representatives. This law seems silencing minorities, even women and the press. This law makes me scared to go out at night by myself and all that.

Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. Looking forward to hear your thoughts.

Love love,
Aya

message 2: by Jo, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Jo (jo_9) | 373 comments Mod
Hi Aya and welcome!
Thank you for sharing this article and your thoughts. I have to say it seems absolutely insane that in 2019 the world seems to be going backwards instead of progressing!
These new laws are shameful and I certainly would be taking to the streets to protest if I were there with you!

What disappointing times we live in at the moment!

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 269 comments hey, aya, welcome and thanks for sharing.

it saddens my heart to hear this. i agree all the way with jo - this seems to show regress rather than progress. i wish it weren't so.

message 4: by Aya (new)

Aya Prita (ayakkumii) Evgeny wrote: "Representatives of all political parties in Indonesia will meet on Friday to agree on the most controversial of the 800 amendments proposed by the parliamentary committee in charge of revising the ..."

thank you for the heads up, Evgeny!

message 5: by Aya (new)

Aya Prita (ayakkumii) Thank you everyone for your thoughts, really. I'm glad that everyone is supporting, I feel like I'm not alone. Thank you so much!

So, the latest update (like Evgeny said), the house of Representatives were had a meeting on Friday (20/09/19). In a statement of the press, the president stated that he is still continuosly looked and listened to the public and he "thoroughly reviewed" the proposed changes.

Yes, so the criminal code bill is postponed!

Let's hope that this revision will bring a good news to us. I'll keep you guys updated! Thank you so much, my fellow Our Shared Shelf!

message 6: by Fachrina (new)

Fachrina | 2 comments Aya wrote: "Thank you everyone for your thoughts, really. I'm glad that everyone is supporting, I feel like I'm not alone. Thank you so much!

So, the latest update (like Evgeny said), the house of Representa..."

Hi Aya, fellow countrywoman here, and thanks for the post! You're definitely not alone. I rarely read local news these days because it tends to be depressing, so I admit I haven't followed the news on this bill. Seeing your post reminds me that I really should pay more attention to what's happening in my own country.

message 7: by Aya (new)

Aya Prita (ayakkumii) Fachrina wrote: "Aya wrote: "Thank you everyone for your thoughts, really. I'm glad that everyone is supporting, I feel like I'm not alone. Thank you so much!

So, the latest update (like Evgeny said), the house o..."

it's okay, we're on the same page, Fachrina! Reading updates on the news about criminal code bill is indeed depressing and saddening. but don't worry, we're in this together!

message 8: by Aya (new)

Aya Prita (ayakkumii) Emma wrote: "This is so frustrating! I wish I could do something to help with this but when things like this happen, I usually feel so powerless..."

me too. but don't worry, having opinions and thoughts from fellow amazing people in Our Shared Shelf encourages me a lot to keep protesting in the street and making petitions and all that. Thank you so much!