What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's book, black and white graphite illustrations, giant, two siblings or friends (boy and girl)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gia (new)

Gia (theatrethief) | 1 comments Hi there.

I've been thinking of this certain children's book for months now and I still can't remember much of what it was about, and certainly not the title or author.

-I would have read it in about 2004-2006.
-Our copy was a hardback edition.
-The illustration were all in black and white, done in pencil. In my head the art style resembled that of Chris Van Allsburg, who illustrated Jumanji.
-The only characters I remember were a giant (I'm 90% sure he was a giant and not an exaggerated adult) and a boy/girl pair of friends or siblings who kept running from him.
-I believe the setting was a big city like NYC or Chicago, somewhere like that, and the giant pursued the two children through different parts of it. I vaguely remember a part of the chase taking place in a public park, maybe like Central Park.
-I thought the girl in the illustration had glasses, but I could be wrong.
-As a kid, I thought this book was a little scary because the kids seemed frightening by the giant, and because the illustrations being completely done in graphite gave it an ominous tone.

That's all I have. Hopefully this'll click with someone out there and they'll be like, "YES! I know exactly what she's talking about!"

G

message 2: by Kris (last edited Sep 24, 2019 06:17PM) (new)

Kris | 33543 comments Mod
Gia, is this a picture book (about 32-48 pages) or a chapter book with mostly words?

Can you describe the illustrations - realistic/cartoony/cute, simple/detailed? Do they remind you of another illustrator or picture book author?

Why is the giant chasing the boy and girl? Where are their parents?