What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Remake (Remake, #1)
This topic is about Remake
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA Novel, about a girl with red hair from a technologically advanced society who washes up on an island without technology. [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danny (last edited Sep 19, 2019 03:03PM) (new) - added it

Danny Kirk (dannykirk) | 3 comments I read this book around 2012-2014. I remember it has a darker cover with a face on it. The book is a YA novel.

SPOILERS

The main character lives in a society where they grow up in a facility where when they reach a certain age they can choose to change their appearance and then move to the outside world. The girl was on a transport to said outside world, but the transport crashed into the ocean and she washed up on a beach of an island without technology (as they did not want to be found by the government.)

The girl has to choose weather to stay on the island or not. She doesn't understand how the people get along without technology and spends some time alone, not knowing what she can do. There was a boy she was with at the lab where she grew up whom she liked, and she misses him, especially since she doesn't know if he made it out of the transport crash alive.

She learns how to swim from her new romantic interest on the island (not the same one from the lab). The romantic interest's mother (or mother figure) gives birth at some point and the main character (the girl) doesn't understand it, as she was grown in a lab with all of the other kids.

Eventually, she makes it back to the outside world that the transport was heading to (with the help of her romantic interest), but she finds out she wanted to stay on the island once she gets there. She finds the boy who she liked from the lab, and says goodbye. She also finds out that the woman who is the leader of the government is her father (the leader, when she was able to go to the outside world from HER lab, chose to change her sex from a male to female.)

The main character follows a note that leads her to jump off a bridge to find a secret bunker where they take the people who want to defect out of the outside world. There she finds her romantic interest and there the book ends.

message 2: by Cupcakedoll (new)

Cupcakedoll | 282 comments Crap, I've read this and can remember everything but the title.

The heroine has a number for a name at first, maybe Nine? 'She' chooses to become male to be like her best friend who I think is a year older and already picked his gender. When she ends up on the island she meets boy number two who I think is named Kai and she gets the name Ana when she grows up as a woman.

If the author had chosen less common YA names google might not be failing me right now. >_<

message 3: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4983 comments It sounded like Son at first, but then turned completely different.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
Deleting your original post from June 19. Please don't create duplicate threads for the same book. Just bump the original thread. Please bookmark this thread so you don't lose it.

message 5: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4129 comments I found Remake and it seems to match?

message 6: by Cupcakedoll (new)

Cupcakedoll | 282 comments That's the one I was thinking of! A not-terrible story draped over a large blob of heavyhanded social message.

message 7: by Danny (new) - added it

Danny Kirk (dannykirk) | 3 comments oh my goodness yes!!! thank you so much!!

message 8: by Danny (new) - added it

Danny Kirk (dannykirk) | 3 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Deleting your original post from June 19. Please don't create duplicate threads for the same book. Just bump the original thread. Please bookmark this thread so you don't lose it."
totally delete the other one, im sorry i dont know how to bump threads but thats on me!!

message 9: by Kris (last edited Sep 27, 2019 07:31AM) (new)

Kris | 33251 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Danny. Just post a new comment to "bump" your thread.

Full desktop or mobile websites -- You can find all of your Goodreads posts by clicking your profile image in the top right corner, then click "Comments" in the menu that opens.