Digital Book Club discussion

The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Catawba County Library  | 20 comments Mod
Our fourth quarter selection is The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson.

Inspired by the true blue-skinned people of Kentucky and the brave and dedicated Kentucky Pack Horse library service of the 1930s, The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek is a story of raw courage, fierce strength, and one woman's belief that books can carry us anywhere—even back home.

We will have our closing discussion on December 19th but please feel free to make comments as you read!

Link to the Book Woman of Troublesome Creek Audiobook on Hoopla Digital read by Katie Schorr:
https://www.hoopladigital.com/title/1...
Link to the Book Woman of Troublesome Creek Ebook on Hoopla Digital :
https://www.hoopladigital.com/title/1...

The Ebook is also available from the North Carolina Digital Library, as well as on audio CD and in paperback at your local branch library.

message 3: by Erica (new)

Erica | 6 comments I really liked it! I had never heard of the blue-skinned people of Kentucky. And I was glad the author's note explained a bit about that. It's kind of discouraging, that people would react to someone who is slightly different by discriminating and excluding and all of that kind of thing.

I'm so glad that you enjoyed the book! The Kentucky Pack Horse program was implemented in 1935 by the Works Progress Administration to create women’s work programs and to assist economic recovery and build literacy. It was amazing to read about how the program affected the patrons and remember the true spirit of the library programs that are still a vital part of our society today.

I wonder what would be included if we made a community scrapbook like the ones Cussy distributes to the people of Troublesome!

message 5: by Allison (new)

Allison (amck) | 3 comments I thought the book was great and it was interesting to learn that there were blue skinned people. I didn't think it could be real at first! I'm so glad that Kim Michele Richardson included that in the story and I got to learn a little about Methemoglobinemia. It was such a fantastic blend of history and wonderfully crafted characters.

message 6: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (citrussunshine) | 2 comments I enjoyed the book as well. I read it earlier this year, so some of the character names are escaping me. I hope that doesn't detract from my comment.
I thought the author did a great job with the secondary characters othering the blue people. It felt like more than a disease when I read about the secondary characters interacting with her. Also the pregnant woman part of the story was very powerful.
Cussy's passion for reading and sharing that with the people around her was really heartwarming. Today it seems impossible that so many people would not have access to reading material, so I was unprepared to be so moved by the librarian part of the story. This was a moving book for multiple reasons.

It really was interesting to see the interactions of the other characters and the different layers of prejudice. They are ostracized for their colors, race, illness, and class throughout the story and while we might not be able to relate to being blue I think we can all relate to the feelings of isolation that a lot of the characters experience.

message 8: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (citrussunshine) | 2 comments That is exactly it! That sense of isolation was powerful.

message 9: by Pennie (new)

Pennie Lail | 1 comments I had never heard of “blue” people. I enjoyed it. It was a great read, I loved Cussy wanting to let the hill people read. She fought for them to learn. And though the hunger that existed, the people was excited to read

message 10: by Allison (new)

Allison (amck) | 3 comments Yes! When Henry gives Cussy Mary the Lifesaver it was such a tearjerker. She really gave them a way to escape their hunger for a little while.
I love fiction that teaches me about history and it was obvious that the author did a lot of research. Even the passage about the courting candle was educational for me.