What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

607 views
Suggest books for me > Really ugly heroine

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sapphire (new)

Sapphire | 38 comments I'm looking for romance books with really ugly heroine. Not plain looking, or not pretty enough, but ugly heroine. Basically people won't understand what Hero sees in her.
Books where Hero falls in love with heroine because of her other qualities. Where he loves her just the way she is.
Can be any time period.
She can stay that way the whole book, or she can have a makeover later in books but only if Hero falls for her while she is ugly.


message 2: by Aerulan (last edited Sep 19, 2019 12:23PM) (new)

Aerulan | 1180 comments The Mistress of Spices

Howl's Moving Castle is YA but works for the concept, the heroine Sophie is cursed to be an old woman.


message 3: by Sapphire (new)

Sapphire | 38 comments Aerulan wrote: "The Mistress of Spices"

Thank you


message 4: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 16 comments I suggest Scarred Beauty by Sam Crescent. Not exactly what you are looking for but the main female has a scar on her face and has never felt the love or attention of another person. The guy finds her beautiful anyways and falls for her. I haven’t read it in a while but it’s the first book I thought of.


message 5: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments Fairest

Scarred Beauty for Morgan's suggestion.


message 6: by Paxton (new)

Paxton | 41 comments This isn’t a novel, but on Webtoon there’s a comic called the Cursed Princess Club where the main character Gwen is like this


message 7: by Lady Knight (new)

Lady Knight | 5 comments Also check out Hester in Philip Reeve's Hungry City Chronicles series. First book is Mortal Engines.


message 8: by Sapphire (new)

Sapphire | 38 comments Morgan wrote: "I suggest Scarred Beauty by Sam Crescent. Not exactly what you are looking for but the main female has a scar on her face and has never felt the love or attention of another person. The guy finds h..."
Thank you


message 9: by Sapphire (new)

Sapphire | 38 comments Rosa wrote: "Fairest

Scarred Beauty for Morgan's suggestion."


Thank you


message 10: by Sapphire (new)

Sapphire | 38 comments Paxton wrote: "This isn’t a novel, but on Webtoon there’s a comic called the Cursed Princess Club where the main character Gwen is like this"

I will check it out, thank you


message 11: by Sapphire (new)

Sapphire | 38 comments Lady Knight wrote: "Also check out Hester in Philip Reeve's Hungry City Chronicles series. First book is Mortal Engines."
Thank you


message 13: by Sapphire (new)

Sapphire | 38 comments Helen wrote: "Courting Miss Hattie"

Thank you


message 14: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 240 comments Possibly I'll Be Seeing You by Lurlene McDaniel. It's YA. The main character had a brain tumor whose treatment involved removing part of her skull. The male lead is temporarily blind.


message 15: by Katherine (new)


message 16: by Sapphire (new)

Sapphire | 38 comments Gillian wrote: "Possibly I'll Be Seeing You by Lurlene McDaniel. It's YA. The main character had a brain tumor whose treatment involved removing part of her skull. The male lead is temporarily blind."

Thank you


message 18: by Sapphire (new)

Sapphire | 38 comments Katherine wrote: "Fugly"

Thank you


message 19: by Sapphire (new)

Sapphire | 38 comments Anisha_book_lover wrote: "This is a very popular book, but I thought I would mention it anyway: "Wonder" by R.J. Palacio."

Not sure it was what I had in mind but still thank you for your answer.


message 20: by Sapphire (new)

Sapphire | 38 comments Scott wrote: "Electric Forest"

Thank you


message 21: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 6 comments Aggh this describes one of my favorite books but the fact that she's ugly is a spoiler!!


message 22: by Sapphire (new)

Sapphire | 38 comments Jessica wrote: "Aggh this describes one of my favorite books but the fact that she's ugly is a spoiler!!"

PM me or put it in spolier so who wants to know can :)


message 23: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 6 comments Ok! It is: (view spoiler)


message 24: by Sapphire (new)

Sapphire | 38 comments Jessica wrote: "Ok! It is: [spoilers removed]"

Thanks.


message 25: by Mony (new)

Mony (mony1) The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend

The DUFF Designated Ugly Fat Friend by Kody Keplinger


message 26: by Kristy (new)

Kristy Moore (llamalluv) | 97 comments Butterface is a contemporary, and first in a series. She is called the insult from the title, and also referred to as a "double bagger". The male love interest is significantly more attractive and starts out with less than honorable motives for dating her.

Eye of the Beholder is a historical, has some Christian themes. She overhears several people making nasty comments about how unattractive she is.


message 27: by Anisha_book_lover (last edited Sep 04, 2020 11:33AM) (new)

Anisha_book_lover Sapphire wrote: "Anisha_book_lover wrote: "This is a very popular book, but I thought I would mention it anyway: "Wonder" by R.J. Palacio."

Not sure it was what I had in mind but s..."


Whoops, sorry about that. I read your header and thought you were just looking for ugly protagonists. I didn't realize you were specifically looking for romance books. That's totally my fault, sorry again...

Here's a suggestion that fits what you are looking for: "Eleanor & Park" by Rainbow Rowell


message 28: by Sapphire (new)

Sapphire | 38 comments Mony wrote: "The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend

The DUFF Designated Ugly Fat Friend by Kody Keplinger"


Thank you


message 29: by Sapphire (new)

Sapphire | 38 comments Kristy wrote: "Butterface is a contemporary, and first in a series. She is called the insult from the title, and also referred to as a "double bagger". The male love interest is significantly more..."

Thank you for Butterface.

Eye of the Beholder I have already read and it is awesome so recommending it to everyone.


message 30: by Sapphire (new)

Sapphire | 38 comments Anisha_book_lover wrote: "Sapphire wrote: "Anisha_book_lover wrote: "This is a very popular book, but I thought I would mention it anyway: "Wonder" by R.J. Palacio."

Not sure it was what I ..."


Don't worry about it :)
Thank you for your recommendation.


message 31: by Kristy (new)

Kristy Moore (llamalluv) | 97 comments If you liked Eye of the Beholder, you might also like Runabout


message 32: by Ardee (new)

Ardee | 15 comments Grace Draven does this regularly for both her heroines and heroes.

The heroine in In The Darkest Midnight is taunted and shunned for her facial disfigurement.

In Radiance the heroine would be considered beautiful by human standards but marries into a different race and culture where she is considered hideous.


message 33: by Kristy (new)

Kristy Moore (llamalluv) | 97 comments Just finished Ruby Dixon's Enticed By The Corsair The h had her eyes gouged out and it's so gross that they have her cover her face with a ribbon.


message 34: by Kitty (new)


message 35: by Carson (new)

Carson (explodingtardis10) | 28 comments Staying Fat For Sarah Byrnes by Chris Crutcher is YA but really good. Both hero and heroine. The heroine has severe burns and is teased constantly about them. Her male friend stands by her and maintains his overweight body so that they are both outcasts and she isn't alone in feeling different.


message 36: by Carson (new)

Carson (explodingtardis10) | 28 comments Scott Westerfeld's YA series Uglies/Pretties/Specials/Extras explores a dystopian world where beauty standards are so heightened that it is now a coming of age event to go from being an Ugly (one without plastic surgery and extensive plastic surgery at that) to a Pretty (someone who fits the impossible beauty standards of the warped futuristic world.) Heroine is Tally who is coming up on her birthday where she will have the change from Ugly to Pretty. She's excited. Her friend isn't so happy about her changing so fast or when it will be her turn to change too.


back to top