Christian Book Reviews discussion

Reviews > Help! Need reviews! Christian Literary Short - Will review others' work

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eli (new)

Eli | 8 comments Hi,

First time posting, my name is Eli. Greetings!

I published my first book and I need reviews! I would describe it as a "literary short".

The main character struggles with alcoholism and is coming to terms with their reality.

I was keen to avoid violence or the glorification of negativity. If this sounds like something you would be interested in, I would love for you to check it out at the link below.

(Available through KDP Unlimited on Amazon, and has a free sample of the first few pages available through Amazon).

Of course please leave your own books below and I will return the favor!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

message 2: by Joshua (new)

Joshua David | 29 comments "My second home is a bar stool." :) I'll put it in my stack. I have KU so I'll check it out on there.

Mine's https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KR7QVJF if you're interested in scifi that doubles as a very loose Gospel metaphor. If not, no worries.

message 3: by Eli (new)

Eli | 8 comments Joshua wrote: ""My second home is a bar stool." :) I'll put it in my stack. I have KU so I'll check it out on there.

Mine's https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KR7QVJF if you're interested in scifi that doubles as a ve..."

Thank you so much! I am very grateful. Hopefully you enjoy what you find!

I will return the favor. . Just downloaded it on KU and will leave a review as soon as I am done.

By the way, what is your opinion of KU? Is it actually a good thing?

I am concerned about the erosion of our value systems. People will happily go to Starbucks and pay $5 for what is essentially some hot water, but will hesitate at $2.99 for an ebook they can keep forever.

That's before considering what it does for earnings of authors.

Great for exposure, but maybe as I add titles to my library I'll be a bit more selective about what goes on there.

Your thoughts?

message 4: by Eli (new)

Eli | 8 comments The Interview by Eli Joshua

Added the book cover so it's easier to find (in case anyone else comments)

message 5: by Joshua (new)

Joshua David | 29 comments Eli wrote: "Joshua wrote: ""My second home is a bar stool." :) I'll put it in my stack. I have KU so I'll check it out on there.

Mine's https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KR7QVJF if you're interested in scifi that ..."

I agree. It's a brutal business. In my current position, still moving up and down the rankings even after being #1, I would say KU is worth it. Until you're a known quantity with a fanbase that looks forward to your work, anything that gets your art into people's hands is a good thing. Is the compensation fair? I try not to worry about it. I think about spreading the Word and let the rest take care of itself.

message 6: by Eli (new)

Eli | 8 comments Joshua wrote: "Eli wrote: "Joshua wrote: ""My second home is a bar stool." :) I'll put it in my stack. I have KU so I'll check it out on there.

Mine's https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KR7QVJF if you're interested in..."

Amen brother!

And that's the perspective I approach this with. It's hard to get the Word out when people won't take the a very modest risk on a book. Yet, happily spend triple on something of no value and passes away after one use.
Secondly, I feel KU promotes this change in our value systems.
Because with KU you can download a book with all the intentions of reading it and just shelf it. There's no "buy in" from the reader. And more so than wanting people to acquire my book, and anyone who is for God, I want people to read them.

I am fortunate not to need to do this for income, but I can sympathize with those who do.

Alas, just me musing about things I have no control over! This is an interesting journey to say the least.

message 7: by Gordon (new)

Gordon | 3 comments Eli wrote: "I am concerned about the erosion of our value systems. People will happily go to Starbucks and pay $5 for what is essentially some hot water, but will hesitate at $2.99 for an ebook they can keep forever."

As a reader who enjoys Indie fiction, and who is keen to see new Christian voices succeed, perhaps I can explain why I like KU?

If I knew in advance that I'd love the book and want to own it forever, I have no problem paying $3 or even $7 for a book. But I don't. I might hate it. I might find it boring, or the characters flat, or just not like the style. (It's a form of the economist's "lemon" problem, but worse, because taste is individual and even the seller doesn't know if the buyer will like the product). That chance is sadly higher with a novice author since experienced pros can at least usually carry a plot.

So to decide if I'll spend $2.99 I fall back on "proxy" indicators: in roughly decreasing order of power: is it an author I've read and liked before? Has a friend recommended it? Has a reviewer I like or trust recommended it? (including cover quotes and people I follow on Goodreads.) Does it have a Goodreads rating over 4.0, with enough ratings that it isn't just from the author's Mom and jogging buddies? Is it from a publisher I recognise, and which I know will expect a minimum standard of writing? ("brand" is a standard way to attack the lemon problem).

"Do I like the cover and blurb" is way down the bottom.

Given all of that, it's a big ask to spend money on an Indie author where you have none of the above.

The great thing about KU is that if I don't like it, I can effectively get my money back. I just return the book partway through and borrow something else, and I don't feel out of pocket. If I do like it, I feel like the author is getting some payment - better than a free "book one" in that way. So by lowering the bar for trying a new author, it has helped me find many authors I like without feeling like I'm spending money on things I don't.

message 8: by Eli (new)

Eli | 8 comments Gordon wrote: "Eli wrote: "I am concerned about the erosion of our value systems. People will happily go to Starbucks and pay $5 for what is essentially some hot water, but will hesitate at $2.99 for an ebook the..."

Love and respect for commenting my brother. And it's articulating my point beautifully.

Let me start by saying I acknowledge everyone's right to spend their hard earned money wherever and however they feel led to.

I speak not for myself. People are either welcome to buy the book, KU it or otherwise. My eyes are for the kingdom and other creators.

Do you remember back in the days with Blockbuster? You would have no problem renting a moving you weren't sure you would like for more than the amount of an ebook. The only thing you were sure of is that you were returning the movie and 9/10 for no refund. There was no prospect of ownership nor of getting your money back. Most people would happily try a new drink for $3, something that is gone in a single use. Or try a new restaurant in town for $20-30. But a book for 99c-$7...?

Similarly your favourite author was new once. With no reviews, no name, no recognition no possible way of knowing if you would like the book.
That used to be the beauty of exploration, the thrill of finding something new and liking it or not. And that investment you made in $, meant you were more likely to persevere and discover a new genre you wouldn't know you'd like.

I respect people's hard earned dollars. And that I cannot trivialize the value of a $. But we are talking about less than $3 in the majority of cases. Yet if we look at what people will spend this same amount on: snacks, perishable items of various kinds, the lost change that's probably in your couch. But for whatever reason there is a mental block when it comes to buying an ebook and taking a chance on less than $1.

This erosion of value is what I am talking about. Thinking about all the throwaway items people spend the same amount on with absolutely no issue nor second thought.

So now think about what's happened to the creative industry. Why do you think you have the same franchises releasing every year? Because of this new method of distribution when someone can pay 7.99 a month for Netflix they'll become a lot less likely to spend $10 at the cinema to try a new movie.

In the end content creators do not take risks and you end up with the same content every year. The same spin and take on the same proven subjects by different people and it gets a little repetitive.

In the body of Christ we have a bigger mission of expanding the kingdom. And with peoples tastes attuned the world it is a further hurdle with this erosion of value. Because the second thing KU does is most people simply download titles and never get round to actually reading them. Which ends up hurting content creators.

The model for compensation is not great for content creators for services like KU.

And if you want to see more content, that's pleasing to God, that furthers the kingdom. Then as consumers we need to make a choice.
A choice ways to support those independent guys that are not out here sowing into the world to reap corruption.

And if its not the same old death mongering thrillers with some Jesus sprinkled in top and a line from the Bible, consumers may just have to take a chance.

Otherwise we'll just continue our Twitter outrage everytime we a movie, book or otherwise promotion LGBT, violence, anti-Christian but that's what sells and that's what people are willing to support. The tried and tested.

Now saying all of this. I am not in this for the money. I am in this to spread the Word. But I recognise some people do need to make sure their work sells so they can continue to make new books for us to enjoy.

message 9: by Joshua (new)

Joshua David | 29 comments Just put your review up. Great work and God bless.