Book Lovers discussion

Book recommendations

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ella Meylin (new)

Ella Meylin (ellameylin) This page is for any books that any body wants to recommend. Or for any questions about a book.

message 2: by Ella Meylin (new)

Ella Meylin (ellameylin) Has any of you read, Lord Of The Rings? I'm currently reading the series.

Sushie || "In writing, you must kill all your darlings." -William Faulkner (73687) No, but I have read The Hobbit, and it's on my list

message 4: by Ella Meylin (new)

Ella Meylin (ellameylin) Sushie wrote: "No, but I have read The Hobbit, and it's on my list"

Oh nice. I am currently reading the Hobbit. How did you like it?

Sushie || "In writing, you must kill all your darlings." -William Faulkner (73687) I LOVED it!!!!!!! It was really cool, adventurous, enthralling! I didn't want to put it down the whole time I was reading it!
What part are you at?

message 6: by Ella Meylin (new)

Ella Meylin (ellameylin) Sushie wrote: "I LOVED it!!!!!!! It was really cool, adventurous, enthralling! I didn't want to put it down the whole time I was reading it!
What part are you at?"

I just finished the part were they faced the trolls. I started it this afternoon. I so far love it! Such a great writing style.

message 7: by Ella Meylin (new)

Ella Meylin (ellameylin) Bilbo Baggins is soo funny.

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary | 9 comments This is my favorite series! I cried when I reached the end of Return of the King. I felt like I would never see my “friends” that I had come so far with again. I wish I could read it again for the first time!

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary | 9 comments This is my favorite series! I include the Hobbit as book 1. In my opinion it is the beginning of the whole adventure. Fun fact: Leonard Nimoy (Mr. Spock) preformed a ballad called Bilbo Baggins. I think it’s on YouTube.

Sushie || "In writing, you must kill all your darlings." -William Faulkner (73687) Ella Meylin wrote: "Sushie wrote: "I LOVED it!!!!!!! It was really cool, adventurous, enthralling! I didn't want to put it down the whole time I was reading it!
What part are you at?"

I just finished the part were th..."

Yeah, I liked how different his style was from what I usually read!
The part with the trolls? That's one of the parts that stuck out to me when I finished reading!

message 11: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Fogelstrom | 19 comments Mary wrote: "This is my favorite series! I cried when I reached the end of Return of the King. I felt like I would never see my “friends” that I had come so far with again. I wish I could read it again for the ..."

I got such a book hangover from this series too Mary. I adore that feeling and loathe it all at the same time. I really appreciate it when an author can draw you into their world, but surfacing from it is bittersweet.

message 12: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Fogelstrom | 19 comments So a book nowhere related to LOTR that I really am loving is The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohllenben. It is not for everyone, but nature nerds (me included) will like it. As a person in natural sciences myself I am fascinated by his theories. It is a bonus that it is beautifully written.

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary | 9 comments Morgan, bittersweet is exactly how it feels to love a book and be sad that you can’t read it for the first time again!

message 14: by Ella Meylin (new)

Ella Meylin (ellameylin) Morgan wrote: "So a book nowhere related to LOTR that I really am loving is The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohllenben. It is not for everyone, but nature nerds (me included) will like it. As a person in natura..."

Can't wait to check it out!

message 15: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Fogelstrom | 19 comments It is really pretty great. Having been a biology student it personifies trees a bit too much for me to take it as purely scientific. He is a scientist though. As a nature lover I tend to overlook that fact.

On a non book note anyone ever notice how much you use emojis when you can't use them?

message 16: by Ella Meylin (new)

Ella Meylin (ellameylin) Morgan wrote: "It is really pretty great. Having been a biology student it personifies trees a bit too much for me to take it as purely scientific. He is a scientist though. As a nature lover I tend to overlook t..."

I do! Personally I am typing on my computer so I can use emojis.😊😊😊
Can you not?

Have you ever read any books by Gene Stratten Porter?

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa McCoy | 2 comments I am currently The Handmaid's Tale :)

message 18: by Ella Meylin (new)

Ella Meylin (ellameylin) Lisa wrote: "I am currently The Handmaid's Tale :)"

I have never heard of it. What is it about? Is it good?

message 19: by Mary (new)

Mary | 9 comments Morgan wrote: "Mary wrote: "This is my favorite series! I cried when I reached the end of Return of the King. I felt like I would never see my “friends” that I had come so far with again. I wish I could read it a..."

I totally agree. I am always looking for this experience when I read.

message 20: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Fogelstrom | 19 comments Ella Meylin wrote: Have you ever read any books by Gene Stratten Porter?

I have not, that I can recall. I looked up some of her books and they sound right up my alley. I'll have to add her to my TBR.

I bounce from computer to phone so I'll have to try 😁 oop there one is.

message 21: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Fogelstrom | 19 comments Lisa wrote: "I am currently The Handmaid's Tale :)"

I just couldn't stomach this book. It is one of those books that I tried repeatedly to read and just gave up. I did so with some Orwell books as well.

message 22: by Ella Meylin (new)

Ella Meylin (ellameylin) Morgan wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I am currently The Handmaid's Tale :)"

I just couldn't stomach this book. It is one of those books that I tried repeatedly to read and just gave up. I did so with some Orwell books as..."

What is it about?

message 23: by Ella Meylin (new)

Ella Meylin (ellameylin) Morgan wrote: "Ella Meylin wrote: Have you ever read any books by Gene Stratten Porter?

I have not, that I can recall. I looked up some of her books and they sound right up my alley. I'll have to add her to my T..."

They are one of my favoirties. If you love nature, you would love the books!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Keeper of the Lost Cities

The Sisters Grimm

Land of stories

Guts

Serafina and the black cloak

Willa of the Wood

The Lacemaker and the Princess

message 25: by Raquel (new)

Raquel (mahayhay) I'm gonna go ahead and recommend my favorite book, The Watchmaker of Filigree Street by Natasha Pulley. It came out about five years ago, but the sequel is scheduled to come out early next year so I'm super excited!

The book has a little bit of everything: fantasy, mystery, history, and a tad bit of romance. The author is able to make all these genres blend so well together that none of them overpower the others.

I've seen many people compare it to The Night Circus, but I've never read it myself so I can't say for certain if they're right or not. It's definitely a slow burn book though. It took me a few chapters to get into it myself, but once I did I was hooked. That being said, if you need a lot of action in your book this one probably won't interest you.