Year-long NaNo discussion

Grace M. Morris > The Air We Breathe

Comments Showing 1-50 of 105 (105 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 382 comments No Computer

Completely Handwritten (Because of when I was moving)

No Outline (except for what's in my head, but mostly going pantser here)

Nothing to do with Team Vergate

None of the Main Characters have Names... Yet... (well.... expect for Lily that is)

Trilogy (NO MORE THAN THREE BOOKS, MAKE SURE I KNOW THIS HERE!)

Then Dictated to the Computer (also known as me forcing my pet dragon, Dragon, to do the work for me, but you get the idea.)

The Air We Breathe is the first book in this nameless YA fantasy series. And no, I have no idea what category of fantasy to put it in.... The idea to write this book came from, well, writing. And how we create, how writers build worlds, how we can literally change the air that our characters breathe. (Not that I would recommend doing that, mind you.) XD

The Types of People:

World Builders

World Builders builds everything around. The plants, the animals, the structures. Some can even build entire worlds. There is a Head World Builder who leads everyone and makes the rules for the other builders. World Builders rank from 1 to 10 depending on how powerful they are. The more powerful they are the more advanced and exotic stuff they can build.

Caretakers

Caretakers take care of everything the World Builders create. Some are poor and take care of the plants and animals. And some are rich and are doctors or mechanics or whatnots. Caretakers cannot become World Builders.

Scribes

Scribes are orphaned children who don't have anyone to take care of them. So they live generations in pods remembering and recording the history of another Caretaker family while being forced to forget their own. Sometimes a poor Caretaker will give up their life to become a Scribe in return of medical attention for another loved one. Though Scribes are to never to return to their old lives or do anything other than recording and remembering the history of another. World Builders are to never have a Scribe.

Time Period

There is no set time period. The poorer people live similar to the medieval peasants. The richer lives similar to the 1960s (as in cars, clothing, and other technology). Though sometimes there is sci-fi like technology.

Here is a rough summary:

Umm... that needs work.... I'll try to think about how to summarize it later...

There is three POVs. Each POV is supposed to be written in a different color ink. The Boy in red. The Girl in blue (which for some reason all my blue pens are missing.... WHY?!?!?! *sobs in the distance*). The Friend in black.

Current Word Count: (Only counting dictated words)

message 2: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 382 comments Here is my hook, line, and sinker:

The body laying beside me was cold, and I shivered in my sleep as I huddled closer to her. Pulling the scratchy blankets tighter around our bodies to keep warm.

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina  | 1693 comments O.O

*this*

GIVE IT TO ME GRACE MORRIS BEFORE I LOSE MY MIND. *gasps*

message 4: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2165 comments You've been holding out on me XD But then... I haven't officially declared my newest writing project because I'm not sure if I'm ready for that kind of commitment so I guess I deserve it XD

You saying that you won't write any longer than a trilogy is honestly the same energy of me saying a book is only going to be a standalone. We all know it isn't going to happen, but it's a nice dream ;P

Also YOU HAD BETTER TELL ME MORE SOON AND I NEED AN OFFICIAL SYNOPSIS STAT!!!

message 5: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 462 comments oh. my. heart.

I LOVE THIS STORY IDEA BOY IN RED GIRL IN BLUE FRIEND IN BLACK???! I NEED THIS

message 6: by SHINE (new)

SHINE (pinkghosttown) | 464 comments WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?!

message 7: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 382 comments Elizabeth wrote: "O.O

*this*

GIVE IT TO ME GRACE MORRIS BEFORE I LOSE MY MIND. *gasps*"

THANK YOU!!! haha, well, we wouldn't want that happening, not when I'm still waiting for you books to come out. ;) Hoping to get back on working on this soon, though. XD

message 8: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 382 comments Nicki wrote: "You've been holding out on me XD But then... I haven't officially declared my newest writing project because I'm not sure if I'm ready for that kind of commitment so I guess I deserve it XD

You sa..."

Holding back on you? Me? Nope, I just wasn't sure myself if I was ready to share it, but here it is now! Plus, I wasn't originally going to work on this book. I really wanted to write a fairytale retelling series (which I'm still going to write, but you know how it is) but I needed something to do which required little to no research at the time. lol. I'm hoping to go traditional with this one though, so we will see what happens.

But commitment or no commitment I would love to hear what your new writing project is! Of course I am also super excited to see any of your sequels to your other books of course. So no pressure or anything XD

Careful! Careful! You might just get me to write a prologue trilogy, considering I was once thinking about tying this to another series, but I won't, I hope XD I get you though, once writing something you love, you want to write more that you love. It's a writer's fate, we all experience it. XD

I hear you XD

message 9: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 382 comments Merie wrote: "oh. my. heart.

I LOVE THIS STORY IDEA BOY IN RED GIRL IN BLUE FRIEND IN BLACK???! I NEED THIS"

Thank you so much, Merie! I can't wait to write more. In truth, writing the Boy in red was a total accident, the only pens I could find was my red editing ones and decided to continue with different color inks with the other POV's. ;)

message 10: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 382 comments SHINE wrote: "WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?!"

Hmmm.... How about a snippet?

I did not know where I was going only that my legs needed to move. I ran back on the forest trail, the ice crunching under my feet. The path felt longer than before. My only light, the moon, hid behind a cloud and I worried that I lost my way. The trees skeleton limbs no longer gave me comfort, instead they reached out and hindered my way, scratching my arms and face as I willed myself to go faster. Each foot fell heavily, the distance lengthening, the air strangled. It was as if I cannot trust the very air that had once gave me life.

The world around me screamed out with ice, cold, and the winter I dread. I begged for warmth and it got colder. I wished for flowers and the ice got thicker. I asked for life and was given death.

"NO!!!" I screamed, though the world around me remained quiet with my cry. I pushed harder through the thicket. I pushed a branch out of my way, but my feet slipped on black ice. I struggled for my footing as I let go of the branch. Free from my fingers the branch swung out and slapped me across my left eye. Backwards I fell, hitting my head on the ice.

message 11: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 462 comments oooh

message 12: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 382 comments And here is a rough summary since it has been requested. I still don't like it, but I did rewrite it three different times. So, here goes nothing? ;)

The dawn his mother died, a Boy, a lone Caretaker, would have became a Scribe. But somehow he did something that no other Caretaker has ever been able to do. He made winter into spring, something only trained World Builders can change.

They killed everyone she has ever loved. The Girl, a dangerous Scribe, should not have been able to escape her pod that night. She should have died with the information she recorded from her previous masters. And most importantly, she was never to experience a life of a human being or make a friend.

The Friend is a feared, highly ranked World Builder. Trying to follow his father's footsteps and become the next heir to lead, he ends up creating nightmares in his dreams. And destroying creations of other Builders in his sleep. All of which is against the code of the World Builders, and it is all he can do to keep it secret.

The Friend recruits the Boy among others to hunt a rogue World Builder. The Girl runs.

*cries* I really don't know if the summary does the book justice, but I tried....

message 13: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 382 comments Merie wrote: "oooh"

XD

message 14: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina  | 1693 comments Oh yeah. Fine then.

Also that snippet!! =)

And that synopsis is unique!

message 15: by Nicki (last edited Sep 20, 2019 08:42AM) (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2165 comments Grace wrote: "Nicki wrote: "You've been holding out on me XD But then... I haven't officially declared my newest writing project because I'm not sure if I'm ready for that kind of commitment so I guess I deserve..."

Mmmhmmm likely story. Just know I'm watching you *squints suspiciously* Oh my gosh you really sound like me now. "I was going to write a time travel but I didn't want to do the research here have a fantasy instead" XD And I NEVER plan any of the books that I write except for the sequels. Of Gold and Iron, A Certain Sort of Madness, A Winter Dark and Deadly, League of Thieves, Week of Werewolves? What do all of these have in common? I ABSOLUTELY DID NOT PLAN TO WORK ON THEM AND WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF ANOTHER PROJECT WHEN I STARTED THEM XD Ooh that is awesome I am trying to branch into traditional publishing too so we can commiserate together ;P

Okay fiiiiine, I'll share it ;P you can find it in this thread https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... I'll put up some about it today ;P Well good for you because basically I'm just working on this and the next book in the My Time in Amar series so you get the best of both worlds XD

Oh boy... Amar has three spin off series, a prequel, and now a sequel series *rolls eyes* Of Gold and Iron has both a prequel and a sequel series. DO NOT TALK TO ME OF DRAGON FIRE I KNOW ITS WRATH AND RUIN.

And also that synopsis, I love it XD I think it fits the mood of the story that you are working on and it sounds amazing so XD

message 16: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 462 comments Nicki: :D

message 17: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina  | 1693 comments My reaction exactly.

message 18: by Oceane (new)

Oceane McAllister (therealqueenofnarnia) | 367 comments I'm really loving that synopsis, rough as you may think it is. Also, the whole Boy is Red, Girl is Blue, etc, is giving me MAJOR Giver vibes and I'm here for that!

Why is every writer in this group so amazingly talented?!

message 19: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 462 comments @Oceane~ maybe that's why we're here ;) xD

message 20: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 382 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Oh yeah. Fine then.

Also that snippet!! =)

And that synopsis is unique!"

XD

Thank you Elizabeth!

message 21: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 382 comments Nicki wrote: "Grace wrote: "Nicki wrote: "You've been holding out on me XD But then... I haven't officially declared my newest writing project because I'm not sure if I'm ready for that kind of commitment so I g..."

0_0 I guess we will watch each other then. XD

WE MUST BE LONG LOST SISTERS!!!!

Now I'm really curious about your time travel book. XD I mean, time travel is like a major favorite of mine. In fact, I love it so much, that I also was going to write one, (my brother gave me this idea), I have even done the research for it. I just didn't feel as if I had the skill to take on that book yet, so I'll keep it for another time. ;)

That's pretty cool! Usually the second book you have to tie up some lose ends from the first. But with the first, that's where the story begins! I use to not work with outlines at all (with all my unpublished books that is) and really loved it. But with The Exile I did have a very small outline (even if the bigger one wasn't written yet). I just thought to go for it with this book and see what happens. ;)

SOMETIMES THAT IS WHEN WE ARE INSPIRED THE MOST, WHEN WE ARE IN A MIDDLE OF SOMETHING ELSE!!! No, actually it's true. I get so many ideas when working on another project, I'm so glad that you have the guts to start writing it down while you're on another project. I usually don't.... Well, until today. ;)

I really hope that a publisher picks you up someday. I love your books and think that you would do great in traditional (or in self-publishing like what you are doing for that matter ;) But yes we can definitely commiserate together. =) Are you trying to get a literary agent or are you querying straight to the publishing houses?

Ohhh, looks great. ;) YES!!! You know I'm here for more Amar!

Lol, looks like a lot of writing XD Though dragon fire isn't too bad, not when there is a dragon behind it that is. XD Lot's of books means lot's of fun.

Aww, thank you! =D It does seem to fit the mood, I just feel like the wording is a little choppy in some parts, I feel like I'm repeating the word "World Builders" way too many times, and that it's missing something? But other than that I do like the mood of it and how it describes what is going to happen without telling you too much of the story.

message 22: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 382 comments Oceane wrote: "I'm really loving that synopsis, rough as you may think it is. Also, the whole Boy is Red, Girl is Blue, etc, is giving me MAJOR Giver vibes and I'm here for that!

Why is every writer in this gro..."

Aww thank you Oceane! As I was telling Nicki, I just feel like the wording could be better in some parts and that it might be missing something. But other than that I think I do like the mood. ;)

That is so cool! I didn't even think about that, but it is similar in a way, yet way different. I just read the "Giver" recently and loved it. =)

And I'm totally with Merie. ;)

message 23: by Oceane (new)

Oceane McAllister (therealqueenofnarnia) | 367 comments Grace wrote: "Oceane wrote: "I'm really loving that synopsis, rough as you may think it is. Also, the whole Boy is Red, Girl is Blue, etc, is giving me MAJOR Giver vibes and I'm here for that!

Why is every wri..."

The Giver is AMAZING! I totally have not read it at least six times...

And that makes sense. I'm sure the synopsis can be improved, but I wanted to give some encouragement :) I get how tough writing them can be.

message 24: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 382 comments Oceane wrote: "Grace wrote: "Oceane wrote: "I'm really loving that synopsis, rough as you may think it is. Also, the whole Boy is Red, Girl is Blue, etc, is giving me MAJOR Giver vibes and I'm here for that!

Wh..."

IT IS AMAZING!!!

Aww, thank you! I definitely need some encouragement sometimes. =) You're right, it can sometimes. ;)

message 25: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 462 comments oh ya I LOVED THE GIVER. I remember when I finished reading it the first time, I was like "that was such a depressing story but so beautiful and real" and sometimes I read it just because I need to remember how reading real emotion is like.

seriously though, Grace... I think you're doing great <3

message 26: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina  | 1693 comments I watched the movie . . . does that even count?? ^.^

message 27: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 462 comments I've never watched the movie. is it any good?

message 28: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina  | 1693 comments I mean, I wanted to read the book after I watched it. I don't know how close it is to the book, but I liked the movie. ^.^

message 29: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 462 comments it probably wasn't bad. the book would be better though

message 30: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina  | 1693 comments Well I've been considering reading it ..... ^.^

message 31: by Oceane (new)

Oceane McAllister (therealqueenofnarnia) | 367 comments Elizabeth, the book is a must-read. I started to watch the movie at one point but never finished it, so I don't know if it keeps the same plot.

And no problem, Grace! We writers got to stick together ;)

message 32: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina  | 1693 comments Haha .... okay then. it's on my loooonnngggg to read list. :P

message 33: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 382 comments Merie wrote: "oh ya I LOVED THE GIVER. I remember when I finished reading it the first time, I was like "that was such a depressing story but so beautiful and real" and sometimes I read it just because I need to..."

I know, right? That was pretty much how I felt after I finished reading it, as well.

Aww, thank you! =D

Merie wrote: "I've never watched the movie. is it any good?"

Merie wrote: "it probably wasn't bad. the book would be better though"

It's a matter of opinion, I personally didn't like the movie very much because they used stock videos for when Jonas was receiving the memories. But they did stay true with certain aspects of the book. And I have to admit that I did like how some of the characters played a bigger role in the movie than they did in the book. But you're are right that the book is much better than the movie. ;)

message 34: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 382 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I watched the movie . . . does that even count?? ^.^"

Elizabeth wrote: "Well I've been considering reading it ..... ^.^"

YOU HAVEN'T READ IT!!!! Lol, just kidding, I actually watch the movie before I read the book too. XD The book is much better though, really recommend it. So, yes please add it to your growing TBR list, XD

message 35: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 382 comments Oceane wrote: "Elizabeth, the book is a must-read. I started to watch the movie at one point but never finished it, so I don't know if it keeps the same plot.

And no problem, Grace! We writers got to stick toge..."

The movie does add in a few things that I did enjoy, but for the most part it stayed true to the book. But overall, the book was much better and I just didn't like all the stock videos they added into the movie, to me it just took too much away from it.

Yes, you're right! Us writer have to stick together. ;)

message 36: by Grace (last edited Sep 29, 2019 04:45AM) (new)

Grace Morris | 382 comments Okay guys, here is a little update about my writing. I haven't been writing any on my books due to me trying to write every review I promised I would write while I was moving. To let you know how that is going, I have around 42 I need to write. So far I have written 6 of them and going onto the 7th one. ;) I will get back to writing my books after all these reviews are written. XD

Now I do have a little update for this book. ;) To help me get over some writer's block, I went to name the main characters (Finally!)

The Boy is named Altan. The Girl is named Nila though throughout the series she is most commonly called Lily (she was my first ever named character in this book and is actually named Daylily by a little girl whom wanted her to have a real name. Scribes don't legally have one and Nila was her name before she was a Scribe, which she no longer remembers). The Friend is named Blake.

And here is a fun fact about Blake! When Blake isn't destroying things or creating nightmares. He loves to create really cool 1960s cars! And I'm talking about the really cool hot rods and Cadillac's and stuff. (I haven't really figured out what kind of cars yet, still working on that). How I want to write this in the story is to show Blake's passion about the cars he creates and write in very technical stuff while remaining poetic and non-boring. In this story, I also cannot talk about any kind of brand car. I can use a brand car for inspiration, but Blake is the creator so it can't have a Ford logo on the back or anything like that. ;)

My inspiration music for Blake's cars are the Beach Boys! My favorite songs talking about cars by them are: "Little Deuce Coupe", "Cherry, Cherry Coupe", "409", and "Custom Machine".

Plus, since my Dad loves old cars, he's helping me a little with ideas for music and the cars. ;)

Also here are the names of some of the side characters: Jonathan, Annabel (Jonathan's sister), and Zoey. ;)

message 37: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 462 comments ooh, sounds awesome!! Love the sound of the characters-- love their names too. Congratulations on finding one of the few A names that I can actually tolerate on a boy xD

And I love both Nila and Lily. (especially Lily though... xDxD I'm a it biased)

Blake sounds so interesting! Destroying things and creating nightmares, hmm??

message 38: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 382 comments Merie wrote: "ooh, sounds awesome!! Love the sound of the characters-- love their names too. Congratulations on finding one of the few A names that I can actually tolerate on a boy xD

And I love both Nila and ..."

Aww, thank you! Lol, I actually like "A" names for guys sometimes. I used to think "A" names for guys was so hard to find. But this is like the third book I have worked on that has an "A" name for a guy. XD But Altan's name is special for him, as the name means "red dawn". ;)

Aww, thanks again. I love her names as well.

Thanks! Blake is one of my favorite characters! (though in this book they are all my favorite, so...) Hahah, yep, and the bad part is that is not usually trying too. XD

message 39: by Oceane (new)

Oceane McAllister (therealqueenofnarnia) | 367 comments Blake sounds amazing. He sort of reminds me of Ronan from The Raven Cycle (though I'm sure he doesn't have the foul mouth) and I honestly LOVE that!

message 40: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina  | 1693 comments Yes. Characters with names!! ^.^ Really loving your progress Grace!! Don't get too depressed over those reviews!! xD

Oh, and the Giver has been added to my tbr. We shall see what happens.... :P

message 41: by SHINE (new)

SHINE (pinkghosttown) | 464 comments And here I thought I was the only one using vintage cars in my stories!

message 42: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 382 comments Oceane wrote: "Blake sounds amazing. He sort of reminds me of Ronan from The Raven Cycle (though I'm sure he doesn't have the foul mouth) and I honestly LOVE that!"

Thank you Oceane! I never read "The Raven Cycle", so maybe? Lol, I really don't know anything about Ronan. But yes, Blake doesn't swear.

message 43: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 382 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Yes. Characters with names!! ^.^ Really loving your progress Grace!! Don't get too depressed over those reviews!! xD

Oh, and the Giver has been added to my tbr. We shall see what happens.... :P"

Lol, I was just getting tried of calling them >blank<, >blank<, and Lily. XD The only thing that changed with Lily is she was once called Lisa Lily instead of Nila Lily, so there was that. XD

Aww, thank you! Lol, I'm not! There's so many reviews to write though! XD I'm just waiting for November to come around to get back to writing this book. So can't wait! =D

message 44: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina  | 1693 comments Haha. that would get very tiring... xD

Wow... you've got some time to wait... ;P

message 45: by Oceane (new)

Oceane McAllister (therealqueenofnarnia) | 367 comments Haha, yeah, I'm glad Blake seems to be of the nicer sort. Ronan was not. Plus, the series wasn't that great (content-wise)

I'll be looking for more updates on this story once November comes around ;)

message 46: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina  | 1693 comments Oh. My.

I found another amazing song. Look this one up, guys and tell me if it doesn't sound Christian.

Ruelle, Fleurie - Carry You

message 47: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 462 comments I'm looking it up! :)

message 48: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 382 comments SHINE wrote: "And here I thought I was the only one using vintage cars in my stories!"

That's cool that your book has vintage cars in it too! Vintage cars are awesome!

message 49: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 382 comments Oceane wrote: "Haha, yeah, I'm glad Blake seems to be of the nicer sort. Ronan was not. Plus, the series wasn't that great (content-wise)

I'll be looking for more updates on this story once November comes around ;)"

Well, Blake does have a mean side to him, but within reason. XD

That's too bad.... There is so many great books out there that are ruined by content.

Thank you! I can't wait to show more of it! ;)

message 50: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 382 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Haha. that would get very tiring... xD

Wow... you've got some time to wait... ;P"

*sigh* You have no idea....

I DO!!??! November is just around the corner!!! And I still have all those reviews to finish before then!

Elizabeth wrote: "Oh. My.

I found another amazing song. Look this one up, guys and tell me if it doesn't sound Christian.

Ruelle, Fleurie - Carry You"

I like this song! ^^

Well, I don't know about their intent on the song but it does seem to have a Christian vibe to it. =)

But a fun fact, Fleurie is her stage name. Her real name Lauren Strahm and she has published a Christian album called "Fly", though that is the only Christian album she has released. Under the name of Fleurie she has written music with Tommee Profitt (who is a producer). Tommee Profitt has also produced some Christian music (Including some music by Chris Tomlin) and has made some Christian covers of popular Christian songs. Mainly what he does is movie production music. Both of them are huge favorites of mine.

As for Ruelle, she has also worked with Tommee Profitt a few times, and worked with a few other companies. But her songs are usually not my favorite, even if I do listen to her from time to time.

I was trying to figure out who produced "Carry You" but I don't think it's Tommee, I had a hard time figuring it out. Lol

Oh, and this is not a Christian album, but try the album "Gloria Regali" (feat. Fleurie) // Produced by Tommee Profitt

« previous 1 3